Viking deposit policy. Please explain the logic.

mozfoz

Ural guy - guess I missed that one. Regardless, there are other Viking ocean itineraries which do include excursions on Rome and Athens - plus many folks prefer to do their own pre and post excursions especially in Rome (per our host). A lot of planning goes into developing itineraries, but I still must disagree that pushing people to take their pre and post excursions is a major reason.

• Thanks 1

This sounds like the start of a comedy bit, but the last time I was in Rome, our car was broken into, and I wound up sleeping inside it as the window was now missing.  The next day was soooo long, I sat parked in an alley while my wife and mom visited the Vatican, while I again guarded the car.  It was a long drive back to Wurzburg.  Also push starting it as we were waiting for a starter to be shipped over from the states.

So I've seen a bit of Rome, Trevi Fountain was beautiful at 2 am.   🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Okay so not knocking Viking here as they and my story are actually getting away with it. Does the early payment policy seem similar to - sitting down at a bar in Venice’s St Marks Square knowing full well that you’ve saved up an arm and a leg for the drink that the ever smiling Italian waiter is about to deliver to your table and then actually enjoying it, because hey there’s loads of passers by who don’t realise you’ll never do it again or will only if you play the game. I’ve done the Venice bit but not the Viking but go on you may only do it once but as part of life’s rich pattern it’s worth it!

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Okay so not knocking Viking here as they and my story are actually getting away with it. Does the early payment policy seem similar to - sitting down at a bar in Venice’s St Marks Square knowing full well that you’ve saved up an arm and a leg for the drink that the ever smiling Italian waiter is about to deliver to your table and then actually enjoying it, because hey there’s loads of passers by who don’t realise you’ll never do it again or will only if you play the game. I’ve done the Venice bit but not the Viking but go on you may only do it once but as part of life’s rich pattern it’s worth it!

This story makes me chuckle...

Yeah - it could be like the Venice bit that some will do it to experience Viking and then never do it again.

It still rings clear, that Viking fill their ships so the very few here on CC that have issue with it are not enough to make Viking change their policy.

OR, is the fact that the deposit is only $25 pp now a response to the market?  Seems to have been running for a long time now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Hence one of the outstanding marketing expressions ever but please don’t laugh at my spelling ‘ voer sprung duerk technique’

Yes, that is what it sounded like on British television. Sooo good, definitely in my top five of marketing successes, I mean from a personal positive perspective. Correct spelling is just minimally different and only supplied for info, Canal archive. 🙂Vorsprung durch Technik.

Viking advertising as with all companies I suppose much relies on the ships sailing in beautiful river spots in videos and photos of ships docked in great locations. That is all correct of course, it is perhaps interesting to pay attention to photos of a river where there are no ships docked. Or city photos completely without river cruise ships. Perhaps the best example is Nuremberg.

notamermaid

I'm reminded of the funny story of the  American who tried to sue Viking because he never saw the beautiful parliament buildings in Budapest---on his Rhine cruise!!!!   After all, they figured prominently in the TV ads!!!

Quickly thrown of court, of course.

• Haha 2