Check-In Time

deanman02

In recent experience, check-in time starts later and out of room on the last day is earlier so that the reduced number of staff have time to turn the rooms over for the next cruise.

Unfortunately many people ignore their allocated check-in time which can result in chaos at the terminal - we experienced that when about half the passengers all decided to front up as early as possible - well before the ship was cleared and open for check-in.

7 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

In recent experience, check-in time starts later and out of room on the last day is earlier so that the reduced number of staff have time to turn the rooms over for the next cruise.

Unfortunately many people ignore their allocated check-in time which can result in chaos at the terminal - we experienced that when about half the passengers all decided to front up as early as possible - well before the ship was cleared and open for check-in.

What reduced number of staff?

Ships are fully staffed/crewed and have been since the restart.

The revised check out/ check in times are to accommodate the  new system of allocating Sea Passes i.e. you now go direct to your cabin drop off any carry on bags and pick up your Sea Passes.

If passengers stick to their boarding times (some ports still actively enforce this including from recent reports Southampton) boarding is amazingly quick - under 30 minutes from arrival at the port to bring in the cabin.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, the penguins said:

The revised check out/ check in times are to accommodate the  new system of allocating Sea Passes i.e. you now go direct to your cabin drop off any carry on bags and pick up your Sea Passes.

If passengers stick to their boarding times (some ports still actively enforce this including from recent reports Southampton) boarding is amazingly quick - under 30 minutes from arrival at the port to bring in the cabin.

We sail Monday out of Ft Lauderdale and received this email from Celebrity. 

It is extremely important to arrive during your pre-selected arrival time on boarding day. Space in the terminal can only accommodate a specific number of guests, so it's critical that you adhere to your arrival time. Those who arrive sooner will be turned away to avoid an overcrowding of guests at the terminal and asked to return during their scheduled time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

Those who arrive sooner will be turned away to avoid an overcrowding of guests at the terminal and asked to return during their scheduled time.

This isn’t always possible, due to other means of transport.

In 2022, we waited 2+ hours for a pre arranged taxi. It was late, due to 5 ships being in port, a train strike and road works.

In 2023, we were on a Eavesway coach, so we were uncertain what time it would arrive in Southampton, due to football traffic.

I can't wait to see the chaos that will start happening when the VIP passes start going into affect.  Since these supposed to get priority, similar to suites?  Not anything I will be getting but I think it will through a new wrinkle into check in.  I hope they limit the amount they sell etc.  I have stayed in the times I sign up for on my cruises.   I think it mainly is depending on the port overall on how smooth it will be on embarkation 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, upwarduk said:

This isn’t always possible, due to other means of transport.

In 2022, we waited 2+ hours for a pre arranged taxi. It was late, due to 5 ships being in port, a train strike and road works.

In 2023, we were on a Eavesway coach, so we were uncertain what time it would arrive in Southampton, due to football traffic.

Simple really.

If you arrive early accept you might have to wait or even be asked to return at the correct time.

If you arrive late accept that you might have to wait until the end or at least until there is a break in passengers arriving.

Above all remember that the staff are employed by the port not by Celebrity and those staff are only following the instructions they have been given.

Priority lines often only apply when you are in the building and not when you are lining up outside.

On 11/11/2023 at 3:21 PM, the penguins said:

I was simply quoting some of our recent experience.

December 2022 on Eclipse out of Sydney was excellent. October 2023 on Solstice out of Sydney was not the same :

Boarding last year was very smooth, this year it was chaotic because check-in was opening later than in the past and many people chose to ignore their allocated check-in times. IF people stick to boarding times, yes it is very smooth. (little word - big meaning.)

I don't know whether you have seen any of the numerous posts that mention their room attendants having to look after 15 to 19 rooms single handed - that's a lot of rooms to "turn over" in just a few hours between cruises. Our Room Attendant / Retreat Host was good, although our room was not finished after dinner on embarkation day.

We were lucky to not be on one of the ships on which Sky Suite passengers are now required to fetch drinks and stock their own refrigerators (although we had gone prepared with a cooler bag). Also our Head Butler was very visible, continuing to perform the usual duties rather than be "invisible" in an office, unlike reports from other ships.

I could say a lot more, but the topic is check-in time, so will leave it, simply saying there were many areas where reduced staffing on our October 2023 cruise on Solstice was obvious compared to December 2022.

4 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

I was simply quoting some of our recent experience.

December 2022 on Eclipse out of Sydney was excellent. October 2023 on Solstice out of Sydney was not the same :

Boarding last year was very smooth, this year it was chaotic because check-in was opening later than in the past and many people chose to ignore their allocated check-in times. IF people stick to boarding times, yes it is very smooth. (little word - big meaning.)

I don't know whether you have seen any of the numerous posts that mention their room attendants having to look after 15 to 19 rooms single handed - that's a lot of rooms to "turn over" in just a few hours between cruises. Our Room Attendant / Retreat Host was good, although our room was not finished after dinner on embarkation day.

We were lucky to not be on one of the ships on which Sky Suite passengers are now required to fetch drinks and stock their own refrigerators (although we had gone prepared with a cooler bag). Also our Head Butler was very visible, continuing to perform the usual duties rather than be "invisible" in an office, unlike reports from other ships.

I could say a lot more, but the topic is check-in time, so will leave it, simply saying there were many areas where reduced staffing on our October 2023 cruise on Solstice was obvious compared to December 2022.

Whilst your boarding experience is regrettable it has nothing to do with crew numbers.

Staff at the port work for the Port Authority.  Crew on the ship are not permitted to work shoreside.

X has introduced a great check in system enabling passengers to go directly to their cabins, collect their Sea Passes and leave their bags.  

All X asks is that passengers arrive within their alloted times.

I am sorry but if, as you said " many people chose to ignore their allocated check-in times " that is not X's fault or responsibility.

Perhaps Posters who have posted on numerous other threads on this subject telling passengers to ignore

the times and just to turn up at anytime will reconsider that advice. It may work in some poets but not all.

Changeover day is always a challenge.

All the cabin stewards I have asked prefer the new system whereby they now do less cabins than before but work alone compared to the old system where they worked in pairs as now they aren't blamed for anyone else's mistakes.

I have no experience of Suites.