Rotterdam Oct7 TA - Hungry Whales Azores food tour

Packard

Hello,

Did anyone else on board this sailing book the Small Group food tour by Hungry Whales thru Viator on Oct 14? Did you get a refund?

The ship did not make it into port and HW is not providing any refund because their tour still ran. It was not cancelled. So Viator's cancellation policy did not kick in. They say they had staff assigned, reservations, considerable logistics and expenses. Apparently, they had 2 tours running that day because of the large numbers. The tour went ahead so their "logistics" were done anyway.
I understand there might have been additional expense to them for food but I think the food would have gone back into storage or sold to other patrons that day. Certainly not enough spoilage to warrant keeping the entire payment?

Has anyone else encountered this?

Hungry Whales still had to pay Viator, and that is most or all of their "profit". The rest is already spent as they outlined to you. The restaurants and bars you would have visited are not going to refund the money to HW on the chance that they might sell the food to other clients, for example.

This was the risk you took by choosing a non-ship excursion and (especially) using the Viator agency.  Hate to be blunt, but the real advantage to ships' tours is not that "you won't miss the ship", it is that you will be made whole if the port itself is missed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To respond to both posts,

No the cancellation policy does not mention the ship not docking. It merely read that the tour was weather dependent and, if cancelled, you could get a full refund. The sticking point was that the tour wasn't cancelled. Our group of 4 just couldn't get off the ship in port!

And yes, I won't use Viator or HW again. I have written Viator to suggest they change their cancellation policy to read, if ship doesn't dock but a tour goes ahead, a refund is not guaranteed as it is up to the tour operator.   
Just disappointed that neither Viator or HW took the circumstances under consideration and offered even a partial refund.

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

Hungry Whales still had to pay Viator, and that is most or all of their "profit". The rest is already spent as they outlined to you. The restaurants and bars you would have visited are not going to refund the money to HW on the chance that they might sell the food to other clients, for example.

This was the risk you took by choosing a non-ship excursion and (especially) using the Viator agency.  Hate to be blunt, but the real advantage to ships' tours is not that "you won't miss the ship", it is that you will be made whole if the port itself is missed.

I guess we will agree to disagree on your last sentence.  You can easily be made whole on private tours IF you book with directly with the private operator and IF you clarify your terms and conditions.  I have never been charged for a tour if the ship can’t dock or changes itinerary.  

I never book with a middle man like Viator so I can’t help the OP.  I book directly with the private operator and I know my terms and conditions.

On the same ship, for the same port,  I had the Moby Dick chartered for that day for a whale watching tour for our roll call.  Everyone on that tour received their money back.  We were not liable because we couldn’t dock.  of course our charter was disappointed but they understood and I refunded everyone on my tour.

• Like 4

Agree with Kazu and CruiserBruce - we might look at Viator for tours offered and then book with the tour operator directly.  Same thing with hotels.  Good lesson for many using Viator and other 3rd parties for their excursions and hotels.  Cancellation policy is really important.  And, rates are often better if booked directly with hotel and/or tour company.  Thank you for posting and reminding all of us.  Cherie

• Like 1