Insulting Consumer with Black Friday/Cyber Week Deals

mlink87

Royal Caribbean Group overall need to respect their consumers and not act like the consumers are absolute idiots.  I monitor pricing and noticed that prices last night went up...conveniently right before the launch of Black Friday...about $880 total above what we paid a month ago.  Today's price, with 75% off the second guest and $300 discount, took $80 off yesterday's total, but still $800 above what I paid a month ago

Just don't do a sale if you're going to treat the consumer like idiots laughing from your revenue computers in corporate offices.  It's insulting and such a disgusting money grab to literally charge more during one of your "biggest sales of the year" than during a normal time period.  I work in travel myself for a large travel company and have worked in revenue for a large hotel brand and know the game, but this seems egregious.  At least when we'd do sales they were real sales off the purchase price.  I never noticed manipulation of pricing on our rates before a sale to keep the revenue the same if not higher than normal times.

Maybe I'm just incensed and it's just me...but I just wish they would respect the consumer.  I know...I know...it's a huge ask in today's capitalist world. 

• Like 41
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mlink87 said:

Royal Caribbean Group overall need to respect their consumers and not act like the consumers are absolute idiots.  I monitor pricing and noticed that prices last night went up...conveniently right before the launch of Black Friday...about $880 total above what we paid a month ago.  Today's price, with 75% off the second guest and $300 discount, took $80 off yesterday's total, but still $800 above what I paid a month ago

Just don't do a sale if you're going to treat the consumer like idiots laughing from your revenue computers in corporate offices.  It's insulting and such a disgusting money grab to literally charge more during one of your "biggest sales of the year" than during a normal time period.  I work in travel myself for a large travel company and have worked in revenue for a large hotel brand and know the game, but this seems egregious.  At least when we'd do sales they were real sales off the purchase price.  I never noticed manipulation of pricing on our rates before a sale to keep the revenue the same if not higher than normal times.

Maybe I'm just incensed and it's just me...but I just wish they would respect the consumer.  I know...I know...it's a huge ask in today's capitalist world. 

I agree. I was watching prices also to see if the black Friday sale was real.  Same thing, prices are up and I am glad I purchased a cruise when I did. Because now it's more!

• Like 5

I don't really consider 'Black Friday' cruise deals actual deals.  You see, most businesses create Black Friday savings by producing in bulk, knowing the consumer demand will be there in those dates.  But, there is really no such opportunity for cruise lines - they can maybe discount some slow-moving excursions/packages or a last-minute sailing, but that's pretty much it.

The best time to find cruise deals is in the first 3 or 4 months of the year when everyone is tapped out after their holiday spending - while the cruise lines still need the cash deposits to continue trickling in.

• Like 4

I think it should be mandatory for any company to start by showing the base rate for whatever is being sold during a 'sale' promotion. On the Celebrity website the first time you actually get to see the base price of a cabin is after making a dummy booking.

I just did a dummy booking on an infinite veranda for an 11 night cruise from Southampton. It seems the base rate for this is £4674 pp. I am sure I have never seen their prices advertised as this high. I believe they decide the price they want to charge and then work backwards to the base price they invent for their current promotion. It will be a completely different base rate in the next 'amazing offer'.

I remember when they had brochures with the prices included.

Yes, I agree they think we are idiots!!

I have just checked this cruise on the US website and the base rate is $7199. Shocking - not sure how they do their exchange rate!!!

Edited by laslomas
Added detail
  • Like 2

Basic marketing 101.  Everyone does it.   There are many who just see the words Black Friday sale etc.  Resorts etc all run same thing. I don’t even look at prices on celebrity site anymore.  Just look for any itineraries of interest in time frames I know I can have off.  Usually late spring and mid nov time is my quiet time. From there talk to my TA and get much better pricing probably like 30-40% lower than celebrity site with group pricing.  Well my last 6 cruises have been anyways.  

• Like 5

The cruise I was watching went up $500…it is a 8 night Caribbean cruise in January of 2025…I thought I would book it but now I am in no rush…I might let my book later certificate expire…i thought that Black Friday might be decent..I got a great deal a couple of years ago on Black Friday that also included a nice amount of OBC…I guess I will look at other lines as well…

• Like 3

Every single sale these cruise line has is basically the same. It doesn't matter if it's 75% off or 40% off the first guest and second guest is free. They will adjust the base rates to make all of these "sales" equal the same basic number. You may find some deals on excursions or packages but overall, this sale is no better than last weeks sale or the month prior.

1 hour ago, gerelmx said:

If you don't like it, don't buy it, why be angry?

Agreed. Why hate? Buy or don't buy.

I will say the RCL group black Friday sale worked in my favor.

I just bought shore excursions for a Harmony of the Seas family cruise this Spring and saved (according to the site) over $2,000 for a family of ten. For a $7,000 total shore excursion spend, that's nice savings.

Having said this, I tracked pricing from a few months ago and so actually saved closer to $1,700. Still, good savings.

Looking at my shore excursions for two upcoming Celebrity cruises, an 11-night Panama Canal/southern Caribbean on Beyond plus an 18-night Tahitian Treasures on Edge. Some good options.

Edited by buncosquad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay...so this is for a single passenger with the solo supplement.

Starting with the same experience people are saying above: Priced a cruise on Monday the 6th, but held off thinking about the Black Friday Deals. Tuesday the same cabin jumped in price. Just like what people are saying above...

BUT...Then on Friday the 10th..."with the 75% second passenger sale" it was back to the original price I saw...BUT [in addition] on a particular booking site...it was $100 less and it came with $100 OBC. So I booked!

This morning...the official start of the Black Friday Sale....the price did indeed drop $139....so I re-priced and got to keep the $100 OBC. 

It's a crap shoot for sure!!!! But sometimes it works!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Why are people so offended by this? It’s an incentive to get new bookings. You booked at a price you agreed to pay otherwise you would not have booked at all. They do not owe you a lower price because it’s a made up holiday. The car I bought recently has a better discount on it now, I recently I recently saw airfare at a price less than I paid for the same flights. I’m sure the TV we bought last year is cheaper now. Do all of those companies owe me money? Not hardly. 

They could change the US rules to mirror the UK rules and discontinue any price adjustments. That seems like it would eliminate the problem. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, laslomas said:

I think it should be mandatory for any company to start by showing the base rate for whatever is being sold during a 'sale' promotion. On the Celebrity website the first time you actually get to see the base price of a cabin is after making a dummy booking.

I just did a dummy booking on an infinite veranda for an 11 night cruise from Southampton. It seems the base rate for this is £4674 pp. I am sure I have never seen their prices advertised as this high. I believe they decide the price they want to charge and then work backwards to the base price they invent for their current promotion. It will be a completely different base rate in the next 'amazing offer'.

I remember when they had brochures with the prices included.

Yes, I agree they think we are idiots!!

I have just checked this cruise on the US website and the base rate is $7199. Shocking - not sure how they do their exchange rate!!!

Supply and demand.

• Like 2

FWIW I can't check the price of my room for my January cruise because the room category is sold out. But based on the other categories, the price has gone up substantially. The air I booked months ago is double today.

One of my early jobs was at a retail store. We had a pricing gun that we could do big price stickers so we could put, "was" price and the "current" price. We just increased the price to what ever we wanted for the "was" price. It was an "outlet" store, so people loved the discount. It was a good life learning experience on how easily you can manipulate prices.

• Like 1

well... as I just posted in another thread...

Cruise pricing is just like the airlines..., it goes up and down, and changes daily.  No one can figure out the math involved.  Based on my history of cruising, most all of it is "marketing" games.  Spin it a different way with different words, but the price stays relatively the same.

That's not to say that good deals can't be found.. they can.  But you have to be diligent in your searching, and knowledgeable in how they spin things.

1 hour ago, ISABELLA said:

So tired of price game. 

My solution is simple. I buy exactly what I want for the sake of enjoyment.

I'd rather not pay more than I have to, but since I only buy exactly what I want, I at least know I'll enjoy it stupendously, pricing gyrations notwithstanding. 

Aaahhhh. Just enjoying the ride...

21 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

They will adjust the base rates to make all of these "sales" equal the same basic number.

Seems like you never met my car Salesman.

My salesman, what a great guy !!

Within 3 minutes he asked what my name is and mentioned it every few minutes.

( He even liked the same NHL team, the same NFL team, the same golf Pros, and, and, he seemed to like everything I did ).

To the point--- the car I wanted was not available for 9 months so he spoke to the Manager ( " He usually can't adjust the sales price, but, leave it to me ". (wink ) 

He told him I was " willing " to wait IF they would discount the price---

25 minutes later--Bang, off came $1100 plus, without even asking, they threw in winter floor mats and only charged me an extra $639 for "Undercoating and Permanent Polish ". 

What a great deal-- what a nice guy--- he even got the Manager to stop eating his Big Mac and come out of his office to meet me. 

I think he was upset at my Salesman because the last thing I heard was " Boy, that guy was some winner " !!!

• Haha 1

I have been tracking prices and booked as soon as I saw the $50 pre-Black Friday bonus. Good thing I did because price is now about $150 more for the same cabin on a 4 day sailing. I didn't get the absolute lowest price, but I got a decent price and the Black Friday deal is definitely worse across the board, from what I can see. I assume these sales are meant more for a general audience looking for "deals" than CC members who meticulously track prices on a weekly basis. 

• Like 1

I get it you all...and I know it sounds insane since I literally lead a team that books travel each and every day for air, hotels, cruises, and tour companies.  I understand yield management and pricing manipulation.  The ONLY reason I put it here and get so angry is that at some point it just is nice to voice your anger and find some people that feel the same...then you move on LOL

This isn't ruining my day and I"m happy with the price...I just think they're a bunch of you know what's in the revenue departments of travel and tourism companies overall LOL.  To be fair...people get on board or checked in to these flights, hotel rooms, and staterooms and immediately look for things wrong to complain about and get money back as well...so the consumer isn't any better I guess 

It is what it is.