Chocolate Egg Cream or Vanilla ?

lenquixote66

6 hours ago, Harters said:

Depressing thought if you're right. Remember that, in due course, our present will be someone's past.  

Not necessarily depressing.When I was growing up it was possible to walk anywhere in NY ,day or night without fear of being mugged.Streets were clean.Very little if any pollution.I got along fine without automation.

On 11/12/2023 at 5:50 PM, BruceMuzz said:

Living in the past……………..

Not at all Bruce.  I am on dialysis and have to watch my liquid intake and phosphorus. My weekly treat is a chocolate egg cream which also can be a chocolate ice cream soda which is an egg cream with ice cream added.  

As a young boy in NYC, we knew what and where to get a real egg cream (which has no eggs or cream).  The recipe is simple and uses whole milk, fountain seltzer, and Foxes U-Bet Chocolate syrup.   Many years ago, I took a good friend into the Stage Deli and we decided to sit at the counter and have an egg cream.  The counter man, who had worked at the Stage for decades, told us that he actually preferred using Hershey's Chocolate Syrup (in place of the Foxes) to which I quickly responded "blasphemy!"  That got a small cheer from a few other patrons that overheard the conversation.

DW would say that a real egg cream should be accompanied with a real "black and white (cookie)"

On 11/14/2023 at 6:07 AM, Harters said:

Is an American "chocolate egg cream" different from a British "chocolate Creme Egg"?

Hlitner gives a good description of the Chocolate egg cream.  Definitely different from your chocolate cream egg?  Isn’t your chocolate cream egg the Cadbury egg?

On 11/14/2023 at 11:53 PM, Hlitner said:

As a young boy in NYC, we knew what and where to get a real egg cream (which has no eggs or cream).  The recipe is simple and uses whole milk, fountain seltzer, and Foxes U-Bet Chocolate syrup.   Many years ago, I took a good friend into the Stage Deli and we decided to sit at the counter and have an egg cream.  The counter man, who had worked at the Stage for decades, told us that he actually preferred using Hershey's Chocolate Syrup (in place of the Foxes) to which I quickly responded "blasphemy!"  That got a small cheer from a few other patrons that overheard the conversation.

DW would say that a real egg cream should be accompanied with a real "black and white (cookie)"

My preference was Snaider’s Chocolate Syrup.The owner of the company was born in Brooklyn.

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Now that got my attention...since we never heard of that stuff 🙂

The product was on grocery store shelves in Brooklyn and presumably other areas going back to the 1940’s.The company manufactured all flavors of syrups as well as seltzer.The family lived in the East Flatbush section of Brooklyn.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

You mean you never had a chocolate ice cream soda???

Yes, I have but an egg cream? That is a northern thing and I prefer a root beer float. With vanilla ice cream🙂

3 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Yes, I have but an egg cream? That is a northern thing and I prefer a root beer float. With vanilla ice cream🙂

An ice cream soda is the same thing as an egg cream except without the ice cream.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE