Best spot onboard for viewing glaciers

puzzums

Hello,

Where would be the best part of the ship, on Royal Princess (June 1/24 cruise)for photography on the scenic cruise days when we’re in Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier?  I’m looking for an area where I have open line of sight and am not trying to shoot photos and video through glass.  Does one have to get to such a spot early, or do crowds of viewers come and go at the rails?  I do have a balcony cabin but don’t want to limit my view and my photos to just that vantage point.

I don’t think I’m quite clear on how long the ship is actually in Glacier Bay or at Hubbard Glacier, or if there is a specific time frame where I should be looking for a prime spot at the rail.  It’s my first Alaskan cruise so my understanding of how the “scenic cruising” days pan out is a little vague and I’m not sure what to expect.

Thanks!

• Like 1

We were on Sapphire Princess back in September. Did same Glaciers. I know on the morning as they were sailing into Hubbard they had a naturalist right at the bow of the ship. I walked by around 10am and there were maybe 15-20 people there while she tried to spot wildlife. Lots of space. Later in the day plus for Glacier bay people were just out on deck at all levels and moving from side to side.

Once at the actual Glaciers like Hubbard or Harvard the captain will usually rotate the ship. On Sapphire the promenade deck was 7 and the only issue I could see with that is there are pillars/life boats etc. in the way which could ruin a photo. Maybe better to be at the top of the shop where there are less obstructions

• Like 1

We sailed Alaska with HAL last year. We rugged up and ventured out to the bow on the scenic cruising days and had the added bonus of commentary and guidance from the onboard naturalist. There was plenty of opportunity to get to the rail and take great photos. 
Prior to going, the advice from every direction seemed to be that you MUST have a balcony for an Alaskan cruise. We enjoyed Alaska so much that we are hoping to return in 2025 and believe me, it’s a long way for us to come from Australia! But this time round we'll be booking an oceanview (or even interior 😱) cabin and putting the savings towards shore excursions. We found plenty of opportunity to view the scenery and wildlife from the public decks.
JMHO VMMV 

• Like 1

Okay, stupid question, lol.  How do you get to the bow?  Is that area always open, or just on glacier days?  I’ve watched some ship tours and none of them mentioned access to the bow.  I would love to be able to listen to a naturalist!

• 1 month later...

The bow of the Royal Princess has glass. You'll want to be on one side or the other on an upper outside deck. They should be at the glacier half the time with one side of the ship and the other half of the time with the other side of the ship facing the glacier. You're much better off on the open deck as you suggested rather than being on your balcony. You don't see nearly as much from the balconies.

Use the first sea day to take your equipment and hard copy of the deck plan to scout the best areas. You need to find first and second choice and think about weather. Clear viewing with overhead for rain. Then think about crowds and try to find spots that other people don't find. Spend some time on youtube viewing your ship from drones or overhead to spot areas that look like they will work. Don't leave any spot without considering it. I was able to find one spot on a different line that had access door through the gym. Likely tripods won't work because of the crowds. You should know 2-3 hours before you get to prime photo spots but you are also in prime areas for wildlife. The ship won't slow down for wildlife so be ready with fast shutter. Also look into small boat tours to get you closer to the glaciers. Offen fill up fast and likely gone now for 2024. Make sure your cold weather clothes are up to the task. 

DSC01834.JPG

On 11/14/2023 at 9:31 PM, puzzums said:

How do you get to the bow?

On two different ships, for additional viewing spots,  the Captains opened up the bow areas which are usually closed to passengers.  Someone mentioned accessing through a door in a gym, on at least one of our two, a door marked CREW ONLY was propped open for access.  Just pay attention to any printed or announced info about bow access, or ask an officer on the day.

Glacier Bay you will be in for the best part of the day, at other glacier viewing spots, as already mentioned, the ship will sit there for a time and the Captain usually orders a "twirl" so pax on both sides get equal views.

On 11/14/2023 at 1:31 PM, puzzums said:

Okay, stupid question, lol.  How do you get to the bow?  Is that area always open, or just on glacier days?  I’ve watched some ship tours and none of them mentioned access to the bow.  I would love to be able to listen to a naturalist!

The only area at the bow with pax access is the forward wrap around extension of the Prom Deck. At the fwd end of the Prom Deck P&S are stairs, providing access to Deck 8, which has a walkway around the bow.

The Focsle area on Princess ships is not open to pax, as on many ships it is the crew's outdoor rec space.