pullman bed from ceiling

newcruisehi

We are sailing on a cruise in which there is a pullman bed from the ceiling.  Does anyone know if it is safe for a 13 year old to sleep in one?  How high up is it?  Are there usually any railings or can anyone suggest if there are any products that we could easily transport to make a railing?

4 hours ago, newcruisehi said:

We are sailing on a cruise in which there is a pullman bed from the ceiling.  Does anyone know if it is safe for a 13 year old to sleep in one?  How high up is it?  Are there usually any railings or can anyone suggest if there are any products that we could easily transport to make a railing?

Definitely safe! I think 5+ would be fine.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 3:45 AM, newcruisehi said:

My 9 year old slept on one for the first time this summer. It had a decent rail and a ladder. I was (at least mostly) comfortable with him being up there, but would not have let my 6 year old sleep up there.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 3:45 AM, newcruisehi said:

yes. My DS has been sleeping in one on cruises since he was 5. They have a small railing, although at 13 they don't usually need it. He is going to be 13 on our next cruise.

He was sick once, so I left him on the lower bunk and climbed into one of the pullman beds. I am far from young, light and athletic, so it was a pain in the rear to climb and out, but it was safe to sleep in.

My kids were also about 5 years old the first time in pullman beds. They were safe, and the kids loved them. We did have our bed in the pushed-together configuration underneath, so even if they had been able to roll over the rail (which they really wouldn't accidentally do unless their sleep is pretty wild), they would have landed on the big bed. I would say the only concern for a bigger kid would be how uncomfortable it would be to climb up and down the ladder (bigger feet don't seem to fit as well...) but that is such a small, temporary discomfort. 

We were on Royal Caribbean Freedom class ships, interiors, the years that we cruised with the pullman beds. I really loved that configuration when they were young. 

Definitely safe for a 13 year old. I'm 40 and slept in one very comfortably when my daughter wanted to sleep in 'mummy's bed' when sailing on Royal Carribbean ship last year. There's a little ladder up to the Pullman bed, but I just climbed up from the double bed below and a 13 year old could do it easy.

• 1 month later...

You just brought back a memory of the fact that my college dorm had bunk beds, so half of us had to climb a ladder every day.

Good point, above, about leaving the main bed as a king, in case any child were to fall out.  On the other hand, some have suggested having the main bed separated so access is easier for the parents, getting in and out of bed(s).

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2024 at 4:04 PM, shipgeeks said:

You just brought back a memory of the fact that my college dorm had bunk beds, so half of us had to climb a ladder every day.

Good point, above, about leaving the main bed as a king, in case any child were to fall out.  On the other hand, some have suggested having the main bed separated so access is easier for the parents, getting in and out of bed(s).

There is a lot of debate in our family about beds together or apart under the Pullmans. Ultimately, we decided that apart works better for us, as it gives us more floor space in the middle of the room (in an interior for example). Also, at least on Carnival, the Pullman's have railings, so it would be difficult for a child to fall out (but not difficult for their stuffed animal friends to hit dad in the head in the middle of the night 🙂 ).

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 8:45 AM, newcruisehi said:

Our 13/14 year old has slept on one of them! They are completely safe for a 13 year old and the one on Carnival had a railing that attached down to the floor! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

My oldest has always slept on the pull-down. He is 14 now but he's been sleeping on it since he was like 6. It has a railing. Honestly, the ladder scares me more than the railing. You got to make sure the ladder is in the little bracket thing. I don't know what to call it but the little indentation that is there for the ladder to sit in. Edited to add: when we pullman there wasn't an attachment from the railing to the floor. But still was completely safe there was a railing it just didn't attach down to the floor.

Edited by oyme

• 2 weeks later...

My 16 year old just slept in one on the Carnival Jubilee. She had no complaints, other than her brother taking away the ladder once as a joke while she was up there (dad to the rescue on that one!).

• Haha 2