Dawn to the West

Port Power

IMG_3360.thumb.jpeg.678a7de86e085a0e2165b755c941fed7.jpeg

IMG_3364.thumb.jpeg.0950486b3242a7eb8b46cfd815615a09.jpeg

The view from the ballroom

IMG_3363.thumb.jpeg.8c2fd1d5b101f4462b6759d6f1af55ba.jpeg

The music room

IMG_3365.thumb.jpeg.8c424bff51420f16ba8885743ba984b5.jpeg

A soup tureen that is prett cute.  There were some lovely dishes on display.

IMG_3369.jpeg

This room opens onto the terrace and gardens, and the walls are all tiled.  The scenes are from countries around the world.

IMG_3371.thumb.jpeg.3b117fa9df499a676c1a3a7bc90e6671.jpeg

IMG_3373.thumb.jpeg.0d0dc6b2bf389d813994907929e13844.jpeg

The Ambassadors’ room, where ambassadors presented themselves to the king and queen. Royal seats at one end, then the ambassadors would have to walk backwards to their seats.

IMG_3374.thumb.jpeg.f1f3e88525391c1446ffb8b36511d549.jpeg

IMG_3375.thumb.jpeg.2455ff9febf56e692d3977f13649b5eb.jpeg

IMG_3377.thumb.jpeg.6ed1100b4355a6c329c0dde30aeb4117.jpeg

Some lovely Chinoiserie pots

IMG_3378.thumb.jpeg.b5c0c3984ed48a927b99962372ed8948.jpeg

IMG_3379.thumb.jpeg.9fd26e37783831ba70d06d69dba24647.jpeg

Edited by Port Power
Add photos
  • Like 6

There are still occasional problems adding photos and editing posts.  When I moved to my phone to add the photos, the first line of description disappeared.  I think it can easily be seen those first two photos are of the ballroom, also known as the throne room and the mirror room.

• Like 1

The gardens were just lovely.  We had fifteen minutes to stroll around before leaving.

There is a small river running through the property.  This was beautified by making a tiled canal and pagoda.  During summer the ends of the canal would be closed, forming a pool.   Gondolas were placed on the water for people to float back and forth for amusement.

IMG_3387.thumb.jpeg.1855a7fa2a6f93edbbe44cf3ced3e9cd.jpeg

IMG_3389.thumb.jpeg.bad06fa9e83271a1b99629a6d2cf9fdd.jpeg

IMG_3390.thumb.jpeg.8405f3969f467807fa3381c2e049f2a1.jpeg

IMG_3391.thumb.jpeg.5e9e06880321e3bb6ec9c975aa5e9a48.jpeg

• Like 7

The day finished with a visit to Ericeira, originally a fishing village but now a large and popular holiday resort area.  There is surf, and just like Perth in autumn and winter, the kids were out on their surfboards in their wetsuits.  It was charming to wander around a bit.  It was Sunday, a brass band had just finished playing and the small Christmas market had opened.  The old houses had tiled walls from the Moorish influence.  We admired the lovely wrought iron balconies, and were amazed by the festooned power lines!

IMG_3395.thumb.jpeg.cb163ec769b9d370cf971ecd80d0f086.jpeg

IMG_3396.thumb.jpeg.e0288cceef2e3f9f6fc4cbc8e4c56ce0.jpeg

• Like 5

Monday was a long awaited sea day.  No photos were taken.  We had the Captain’s welcome in the Venetian Lounge and this time I was invited to have dinner with the Human Resources Manager.  There was another solo lady and a couple, and John, the Future Cruise Manager, also joined the table.  A good time was had by all.

• Like 2

Tuesday, 28 November, 2023.  Arrecife, Canary Islands.

I was somewhat unwell overnight, so did not go on my tour.  Hopefully one of the other Cruise Critic members on board will be able to post their experiences.

So here is the uninspiring view from my starboard balcony.  At least there was fresh air.  Actually I was looking at the ocean on the other side of the road, so it was quite nice.

IMG_3405.thumb.jpeg.65601b285158c6fc0010519ddf71ac24.jpeg

There has been a large ship in front of Silver Dawn when we arrived.  It left at around 4:00pm or so.  Turned out it was a Costa ship.  🥴

IMG_3406.thumb.jpeg.e91f4f10316b7b24a18aff84ea9f36a5.jpeg

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Mr Luxury said:

Surely too early for decorations on a ship.

Most decorate just before the holiday cruise.

Dec 18th or there abouts

My thoughts entirely.

It's still NOVEMBER. If I'd wanted to do a Christmas cruise, I'd have booked a December itinerary.

There's Christmas stuff all over the ship, it's way too early, I just hope they don't start playing Christmas music, that will be excruciating mid-atlantic, no way to escape.

Fortunately deck 11 remains uncontaminated so far so I can have a pizza in peace.

And a small safety point - the 'greenery' (it's all plastic) up the main stairs impinges on the handrail and makes it prickly and uncomfortable to grasp it.

• Like 4

On a positive note, we are being very fortunate with the weather - sunny, clear blue skies and low humidity.

We were about 20 mins late into Las Palmas this morning - waiting for the pilot boat - but now we're docked up alongside P&O's Ventura in absolutely (as Roy would say) glooorious weather - 20C/69F and almost no wind.

I'm looking forward to my usual stroll around the nearby beach and shops.

Tomorrow in Santa Cruz de la Palma the weather may deteriorate a bit, then we may have to cross a little something bumpy on our way out across the pond, but fingers crossed it won't be too much.

And tonite I have my next booking for La T - I book them 3 days apart as the menu used to change every 3 days and, according to 'mycruise', it has changed, thank goodness. Still ridiculously abbreviated and both meat entrees from cows - I don't eat beef - but at least my favourite vegetarian dish is there - I'm not a vegetarian but the veg. selection often appeals to me more than a large chunk of dead animal.

• Like 5

Both yesterday and today we've had a 37 step gangway from deck 5.  Not exactly ADA approved.  We've slowed things down just a bit.  Those in wheelchairs are transported by two stout crew members in a 'carry chair' to meet their wheelchair again at the top or bottom.  That's Mrs. canderson working her way down.

20231129_100812.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Thank you.  I saw the yellow funnel in the distance and looked no closer. 

It was the Spirit of Adventure, she's on her way from Arrecife to Cadiz.

I use the MarineTraffic app - invaluable when cruising.

Edited by jollyjones

11 minutes ago, canderson said:

Both yesterday and today we've had a 37 step gangway from deck 5.  Not exactly ADA approved.  We've slowed things down just a bit.  Those in wheelchairs are transported by two stout crew members in a 'carry chair' to meet their wheelchair again at the top or bottom.  That's Mrs. canderson working her way down.

20231129_100812.jpg

I was watching from my balcony when the small “wheelchair” bus returned from the day’s excursion.  By then the tide had risen, so the gangway was even steeper!  I thought, surely the deck 3 access door could be opened and a ramp put out for wheelchairs and mobility walkers?  Everyone did get up the steps, all with assistance from their companions or the crew.  One companion ran up and down twice, I would think to ask about how her Dad should get aboard.  

The assistance fellows are wonderful.  A gangway across to deck 3 would have been even better.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I was watching from my balcony when the small “wheelchair” bus returned from the day’s excursion.  By then the tide had risen, so the gangway was even steeper!  I thought, surely the deck 3 access door could be opened and a ramp put out for wheelchairs and mobility walkers?  Everyone did get up the steps, all with assistance from their companions or the crew.  One companion ran up and down twice, I would think to ask about how her Dad should get aboard.  

The assistance fellows are wonderful.  A gangway across to deck 3 would have been even better.

Deck 3 was slightly below the level of the pier, making deployment impossible, else yes, that would have been preferred. 

Found a flower shop just up to the left of the church, so I'm toting lilies back to adorn our cabin.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, canderson said:

Deck 3 was slightly below the level of the pier, making deployment impossible, else yes, that would have been preferred. 

Found a flower shop just up to the left of the church, so I'm toting lilies back to adorn our cabin.

Guess the tide came in as we reboarded the easy way on deck 3 when returning from our excursion today at 1:30.

Wednesday, 29 November, 2023.  Las Palmas, Grand Canaria, Spain.

I went for a walk off the ship this morning, but didn’t find much worthy of being photographed.  Next to the ship there appears to be a building (cruise terminal?) being built, and we are being regularly serenaded by the pile driver.  It is amazing how much of the metal pillars end up underground!  About one-third remains visible.

Opposite us again is the P&O UK “Ventura”, so there are lots of Brits in their shorts and summer clothes out and about.  Some children too.  I was passed by three young women leaving the ship with their plastic tumblers of wine!

Further along in front is Lürssen’s “Golden Odyssey”.  Whether it has the Arabian Sheik onboard or is chartered we cannot tell.

Opposite and behind “Ventura” is the CroisiEurope “La Belle does Oceans”, which many of you may remember when it was “Silver Discoverer”.  There are lots of happy looking people on the aft deck and walking back from shore.  I could take a photo because of the pylons obstructing the view.

It is a very pleasant and sunny 21C today.  There is a big shopping centre opposite the port with a large supermarket, which is very handy for crew shopping for their necessities as well as treats.

IMG_3411.thumb.jpeg.230c836a8270354889115c892f56acd3.jpeg

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 4

I may have missed this but is that huge board with the antipasti presented at the beginning of dinner in LaT?  We requested that it not be brought since we could not do justice to it and then have anything else. 

The current menu is beyond abbreviated when compared to the prior one. 

8 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

I may have missed this but is that huge board with the antipasti presented at the beginning of dinner in LaT?  We requested that it not be brought since we could not do justice to it and then have anything else. 

The current menu is beyond abbreviated when compared to the prior one. 

Yes, it certainly is.  I also ask for it not to be brought out as there is too much food on it.  However, I might request an individual serving.  The large board is all right when there are at least four diners.