PV Sliders vs. Fixed Door Cabins - A Point to Consider

jrkstl

We have just returned from our wonderful "Empires of the Mediterranean" cruise aboard the Viking Neptune and had an amazing time. We booked this cruise immediately once the dates opened up 2 1/2 years ago as we were celebrating with a friend her retirement from teaching - she can finally travel in the Spring and Fall now 🙂

Since we had our choice of rooms (I had done the research regarding slider vs. door PV cabins) so we booked 4016 and 4018 - both wonderful choices!

Normally, we wouldn't spend the $ required to go from the DV cabins to the PV, but this was our cruise that utilized the 125% COVID credits, so why not?

Reason for my post? I wanted to point out something to consider should you be faced with this "dilemma:"

I love sitting out on the balcony, especially while cruising at night, enjoying a nightcap before bed. There is something wonderful about being out there while cruising at night - weather permitting, of course. The husband always goes to bed earlier than me, so I encountered a strange issue that I hadn't considered. When you are out on the balcony, there isn't a way to latch the slider closed. A couple of nights I had to hold the slider closed due to winds, so that the inevitable whistle of the not-quite-closed slider wouldn't disturb him. This was kind of a pain, actually! 

So - lesson learned. If we were to book a PV cabin again, I'd choose the door/fixed window for this very reason.

YMMV

Cheers!

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jrkstl said:

We have just returned from our wonderful "Empires of the Mediterranean" cruise aboard the Viking Neptune and had an amazing time. We booked this cruise immediately once the dates opened up 2 1/2 years ago as we were celebrating with a friend her retirement from teaching - she can finally travel in the Spring and Fall now 🙂

Since we had our choice of rooms (I had done the research regarding slider vs. door PV cabins) so we booked 4016 and 4018 - both wonderful choices!

Normally, we wouldn't spend the $ required to go from the DV cabins to the PV, but this was our cruise that utilized the 125% COVID credits, so why not?

Reason for my post? I wanted to point out something to consider should you be faced with this "dilemma:"

I love sitting out on the balcony, especially while cruising at night, enjoying a nightcap before bed. There is something wonderful about being out there while cruising at night - weather permitting, of course. The husband always goes to bed earlier than me, so I encountered a strange issue that I hadn't considered. When you are out on the balcony, there isn't a way to latch the slider closed. A couple of nights I had to hold the slider closed due to winds, so that the inevitable whistle of the not-quite-closed slider wouldn't disturb him. This was kind of a pain, actually! 

So - lesson learned. If we were to book a PV cabin again, I'd choose the door/fixed window for this very reason.

YMMV

Cheers!

Jeff

Another slider issue is if it is rolly, the motion may cause the slider to open and close over and over.  Having had both, we prefer the door.  Just have to be sure we catch it as it closes so as not to slam.  Well, I guess the same courtesy applies to the stateroom door.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We're on the Sky TA right now in a PV1 with a slider.  We find it easy to keep the door open with a cushion on the track or Bungie cord.

What we find annoying is those with fixed doors allowing their door to slam when exciting or entering.  A little consideration would be welcome.

• Like 2

We are currently on Orion with a hinged door. I think the slider is more convenient if you want to carry something like a cup of coffee onto the balcony.

One other thing to consider is that for anyone with limited arm strength the hinged door can be quite difficult to push open.

Personally, I would be happy with either. Pro's & con's to both.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 5:23 AM, -Lew- said:

We're on the Sky TA right now in a PV1 with a slider.  We find it easy to keep the door open with a cushion on the track or Bungie cord.

What we find annoying is those with fixed doors allowing their door to slam when exciting or entering.  A little consideration would be welcome.

I near what you are saying. We are currently on the Sky too, we also have a PV1 on deck 6 with a fixed window and door. Our biggest gripe is our neighbors who constantly let their door slam, it’s not that hard to hold on to it as you close it. 

10 hours ago, biggerbearmom said:

I near what you are saying. We are currently on the Sky too, we also have a PV1 on deck 6 with a fixed window and door. Our biggest gripe is our neighbors who constantly let their door slam, it’s not that hard to hold on to it as you close it. 

Sorry, i was only trying to get your attention.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks much!  Traveling by myself, I’m grateful for a slider for moving breakfast to the balcony, for example, and avoiding disturbing neighbors if I don’t catch the door in time! 😊

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 10:18 PM, detroit70 said:

Thanks much!  Traveling by myself, I’m grateful for a slider for moving breakfast to the balcony, for example, and avoiding disturbing neighbors if I don’t catch the door in time! 😊

We usually prefer the slider but on our last cruise on Viking Sky, 5035, Panama Cruise that ended right before its world cruise departure, the slider was hard to open.  I think next time we will try the regular door configuration.

1 hour ago, SM77 said:

We usually prefer the slider but on our last cruise on Viking Sky, 5035, Panama Cruise that ended right before its world cruise departure, the slider was hard to open.  I think next time we will try the regular door configuration.

Our slider in 8009 was very hard to open. I could manage it but doubt DW could have. Now that I think of it I should have requested maintenance. 🤷‍♂️