Final payment timing has changed

Cruisedreamer1

2 hours ago, Host Anne said:

Good morning, everyone ~ I've never cruised Oceania before but I have a good friend who just booked a 25th Anniversary cruise because I suggested she look at Oceania.  When she received her invoice, there was nothing about a deposit; it only said the final payment is due next week (181 days out).  She asked me about this and I did some research for her and the following deposit and final payment schedule is what is says on their website:

Did she  not pay a deposit?

Some agents put a hold on the cruise & you have 7 days to pay the deposit  or cancel

When is the cruise  & What is the final payment  noted  on her invoice ?

I would have though the deposit  would also show on her invoice 

FYI  Viking  wants  full payment  1 yr out

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I am not seeing  a full payment  time frame only Cancellation terms

Can you post the  time frame  you are seeing in thr  ticket contract?

4 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Nor  can I!

You're right. I misread the contract. 

The Terms and Conditions page of the website https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/terms-conditions says final payment for other than the ATW cruise is due 150 days out.

• Categories PH and Below
  • Final Payment Due (excluding ATW) - 150 Days

Categories OS/VS/OC

Final Payment Due - (excluding ATW) - 150 Days

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You're right. I misread the contract. 

The Terms and Conditions page of the website https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/terms-conditions says final payment for other than the ATW cruise is due 150 days out.

• Categories PH and Below
  • Final Payment Due (excluding ATW) - 150 Days

Categories OS/VS/OC

Final Payment Due - (excluding ATW) - 150 Days

You know, this is the only time I’ve ever seen you be wrong in what you post, but you have no trouble admitting it, unlike a couple of others that post here. I admire that quality. 

Of course with the moving target Oceania has on this subject it’s not hard to get things wrong every once in a while. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, ORV said:

You know, this is the only time I’ve ever seen you be wrong in what you post, but you have no trouble admitting it, unlike a couple of others that post here. I admire that quality. 

Of course with the moving target Oceania has on this subject it’s not hard to get things wrong every once in a while. 

Thank you...I appreciate what you said.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 12:23 PM, Vallesan said:

Couple of points:

1. I often book with an Oceania Agent by phone then pass the booking over to a TA where I get roughly 10% discount. Food for thought, if her booking is still in a low penalty cancellation charge?

2. We’ve sailed with Oceania 9 times with 2 future cruises booked and I personally wouldn’t have any issues with the company. However, I assume she has insurance so no problem if  she has.

Just as a matter of interest why did you recommend Oceania when you’ve never sailed with them?

I recommended Oceania based upon a different good friend who has sailed with the twice in the past 12 months.  I value her opinion and after sailing with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean for years, we are in search of smaller ships ourselves.  No payment is due until Dec. 2 (I think that's the correct date) so she doesn't have any cancellation penalty.  I just found requiring full payment 181 days very unusual.  Thanks for your response.  

To answer all the others who have been kind enough to answer, here is a clip from her Confirmation:

image.png.6ca43589467fd71ad1d616d92f152a76.png

I was wrong in my initial post to say her confirmation didn't have a "deposit" amount.  It does.  It's just that the deposit amount is the full amount of the cruise.  See above.

Cruise lines make changes all the time but when you make changes (and for me this would be a big change) I think the line should have all of its information updated.  I just checked and the Oceania website still has their previous policy on deposits and final payment.  This is where someone wanting to book a cruise would look. They aren't going to wait until they get an invoice to look at policies like this.  Fortunately for my friend. the deposit amount seemed a bit over top so she reached out to me.

I appreciate everyone's help.  Happy Cruising!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Host Anne said:

I recommended Oceania based upon a different good friend who has sailed with the twice in the past 12 months.  I value her opinion and after sailing with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean for years, we are in search of smaller ships ourselves.  No payment is due until Dec. 2 (I think that's the correct date) so she doesn't have any cancellation penalty.  I just found requiring full payment 181 days very unusual.  Thanks for your response.  

Once again. It is NOT 181 days. It is 150 days. 

image.png.1287d2cc10280841dff3df7689d2be91.png

I posted this on post #20, not sure why the discussion still goes on and people repeat the same false information.

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 8:51 AM, Host Anne said:

Good morning, everyone ~ I've never cruised Oceania before but I have a good friend who just booked a 25th Anniversary cruise because I suggested she look at Oceania.  When she received her invoice, there was nothing about a deposit; it only said the final payment is due next week (181 days out).  She asked me about this and I did some research for her and the following deposit and final payment schedule is what is says on their website:

image.thumb.png.a61cb4cd2da0e146707f6e68b026af03.png

It's an 10-night Med cruise.  I volunteered to call Oceania for her and ask about this as she's a first time cruiser.  The agent said all bookings now require full payment 181 days out.  I've never seen anything like this before.  I've searched the Oceania website and can only find the policy listed above.

This final payment schedule has me very concerned about her booking with Oceania.  I don't know of any other cruise line requiring full payment 6 months out.  Is anyone else concerned about this?  I consider it a drastic change (I do read fine print) that isn't published on their website nor on the confirmation she received (she hasn't paid it yet).  I'm not sure I feel comfortable with her sticking with this cruise.  

I'm curious to know what everyone else thinks..... THANKS

2 hours ago, Host Anne said:

To answer all the others who have been kind enough to answer, here is a clip from her Confirmation:

image.png.6ca43589467fd71ad1d616d92f152a76.png

I was wrong in my initial post to say her confirmation didn't have a "deposit" amount.  It does.  It's just that the deposit amount is the full amount of the cruise.  See above.

Cruise lines make changes all the time but when you make changes (and for me this would be a big change) I think the line should have all of its information updated.  I just checked and the Oceania website still has their previous policy on deposits and final payment.  This is where someone wanting to book a cruise would look. They aren't going to wait until they get an invoice to look at policies like this.  Fortunately for my friend. the deposit amount seemed a bit over top so she reached out to me.

I appreciate everyone's help.  Happy Cruising!

I don't think you mentioned, but when is your friend's cruise? 

8 hours ago, Host Anne said:

We like the  atmosphere of small ships. We mainly sail Oceania, with Riviera/Marina’s 1250 passengers being our personal maximum.

We have sailed with Regent, Seabourn and Siversea too. Depends on price/value and itinerary for us but we keep coming back to Oceania. In saying that we are trying Seabourn 450 passenger ship the Quest in the spring … just hoping she won’t feel too small!

15 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Once again. It is NOT 181 days. It is 150 days. 

image.png.1287d2cc10280841dff3df7689d2be91.png

I posted this on post #20, not sure why the discussion still goes on and people repeat the same false information.

You are posting Cancellation dates.  I was asking about deposits & final payment when booking.  They are two different things completely.  No worries....I won't continue this discussion.  

5 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

You are posting Cancellation dates.  I was asking about deposits & final payment when booking.  They are two different things completely.  No worries....I won't continue this discussion.  

The last line of the cancellation policy mentions Final payment of 150 days. This whole topic started when some posters claimed that final payment is 180, which is incorrect.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

The last line of the cancellation policy mentions Final payment of 150 days. This whole topic started when some posters claimed that final payment is 180, which is incorrect.

I just checked a booking I have for a 7-day cruise in 5/2025.  The final payment date is 90 days before sailing.

My 2024 20-day cruise final payment was 150 days before sailing.

Neither of these are 180 days.

Facts are stubborn things. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anyone booked a cruise in the past month  for  late  next year or later  & if so can they comment on the final payment schedule?

If things recently changed  that could be the issue

It does seem  that 180 days is not correct  but so many things are changing with O  it can be confusing

JMO

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Anyone booked a cruise in the past month  for  late  next year or later  & if so can they comment on the final payment schedule?

If things recently changed  that could be the issue

It does seem  that 180 days is not correct  but so many things are changing with O  it can be confusing

JMO

Yes we booked last month.

image.png.7d23c48133197c92231fabb263ce4743.png

image.png.f27dbe67015d5dc2f5e7e92d20b528c8.png

Final payment 150 prior to sailing, penalties start 180 days (except for the $150). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When we were on board Vista two weeks ago, we booked a new cruise departing September 10, 2024. The final payment date shown on the invoice is April 13, 2024, which is 150 days before the departure of the cruise.

Tom & Judy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Host Anne said:

No need to take that route. Bottom line is that it appears from most of us that know, that you have been given incorrect information, it happens all the time. Some of us are just trying to help get to the bottom of it. It would seem a little bizarre for them to change the final payment date on Sept 1 to 150 days, and then change it again to 180 days 2 months later. 

I would be willing to bet a dollar to a donut that the person you talked to has confused the penalty dates with the final payment date. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

It's weird and somewhat disturbing that misinformation is just sitting here without correction or retraction.  

Especially considering that several members posted corrections, including direct links to Oceania website and screenshots from the website and their reservations. Why people cannot just admit when they are wrong?

• Like 5