Knee replacement surgery and cruise

curlybelle2

I am having knee replacement surgery on January 9th, and we have a planned cruise on March 27th.  It will be 11 weeks after my surgery. I am being to have second thoughts about doing this. Has anyone cruised after having a total knee replacement?

I am 63 and in good health. We are not planning on a lot of excursions, just trying to get out of the snow. 

What do you think? Am I crazy?

Kaye

I suffered a torn MCL about two weeks before a cruise with my sister.  It was booked last minute, and I did not take out insurance.  She begged me to still go, I was in constant pain the whole time and the knee never did completely heal, and I am chalking that up to too much activity instead of resting it.

But that's far different than a knee replacement, hope it works out okay for you.

• Like 2

Do it!!! I had a knee replacement this year on February 7 and did a transatlantic cruise in April. My surgeon was very supportive and said that a trip is great motivation to make the most of your therapy. I had a very easy recovery and therapy period and was walking well unassisted after just a couple of weeks. I walked miles and miles on the cruise and did more flights of stairs than I have in many years. Just be careful on the deck. I hit a wet spot and went down within an hour of boarding the ship! Fortunately, no harm done and it did help me to remember to be cautious after that. 

I'm 67 and in good health as well. I'm so glad I had this surgery -- and that I took the cruise. I did another in October - crossing the Pacific this time to Hawaii.

Best wishes for your surgery. Have a wonderful time on the cruise!

Sue

• Like 2

So it depends on how your recovery goes. I had knee replacement this past March and I had a very good recovery. I stayed in the hospital 2 nights & followed everything my doctor & PT said to do. In May at 9 weeks I took a flight to Texas to visit family. I did ok with the flight & car rides, it was a relatively easy trip. I still iced my knee several times a day while I was there. I don't think your crazy, I live in NY & so I get the cold thing🤣

Denise 

Have you asked your surgeon?  i didn't have a knee replacement but did have both hips replaced 3 weeks apart. I suggest asking how many physical therapy sessions he/she plans to require because you definitely don't want to cut that short.  With my hips my surgeon wanted me to complete 10 weeks of PT with the therapist and then promise to do some daily while on vacation (5 days in Rome and a 25 day Western Med and TA).  The thought of a long painless vacation was a great impetus to pushing myself with the PT.  I took a cane on the trip and one day, about half way through the cruise, I forgot to bring it with me on an excursion.  I never used it again.  It was a fabulous and pain free vacation.

My husband had 2 knee replacements 3 months apart this year. 57, good health, first surgery ever but hard recovery. He wouldn't have enjoyed much activity at that point except walking. And traveling to a port city would've been uncomfortable (flying ect.) But so motivating! Go! Bring ice packs for swelling and don't overbook yourself. We're on the Crown in February:) Best of luck for your surgery!

Edited by Nora86
Error
  • Like 1

You're going to be fine.  They're going to have you up walking either day of or day after surgery.  And PT is going to make sure that within 3-4 weeks those knees are going to start feeling as good as new.  If you follow all your PT instructions, you'll be hitting the stairs instead of waiting for the elevators.

• Like 1

The better shape you are in, the easier it will probably go.  Do your pre-surgery exercises (especially knee extensions). Elevate your leg as instructed, edema is one of the more common complications.  You will do great!  Enjoy your cruise.

My good friend had knee replacement and went hope the same day.  Don't know how but she did it.   It's been 4 weeks and she is driving and walking around.  Only down side with her was this was the second time she had surgery on the same leg and had the nerve cut twice.  Because the nerve was cut twice she still has pain but getting around.   Really think  your recovery will depend on how fit you are.   Good luck  and enjoy your  cruise.  The ship has ice if you need it.  🙂

Here's my story:

Both knees replaced at the same time.  I was told before hand...get in shape and lose some weight (neither of which I did).

January had them replaced.  They wanted me standing a couple of hours after surgery.  I told them where to go...they didn't care.  I was standing for a few minutes.  

2 nights in the hospital.  5 nights at a rehab hospital.  And 5 weeks at a nursing home.  I really wanted to go home.  Lost the weight at the last place, it's not a cruise ship!  Physical therapy twice or three times a day.

They would not let me out of there until I could climb stairs, do (pretend) laundry, and give myself a shower.

Hind sight, I am really glad I had so many looking after me at the nursing home.

I was stuck in Hawaii (ahhh, poor baby) due to the Pandemic.  All of my flights to my local airport were canceled (I was NOT going to fly into LAX).  More outpatient PT.  Got our of the wheelchair, off the walker, then off the cane, and could drive within 2 months.  

Surprisingly, the knees never really hurt.  It was all of the strengthening exercises (muscle recovery) that ached.  Use the gym.  Ask your doctor/PT to prescribe an exercise routine you can do on the ship.  Enjoy being pampered on the ship.

I'm one of those that lacks the discipline to do the work by myself.  Only you can judge how much you can push yourself.  Will it be a cruise to recover or are you planning on doing many excursions.  I would take a cane with you when the "boat" starts to rock and roll.  

One knee?  A trip to the park.  Listen to your body, but don't baby the knee.  Cruising would be a great way to recover.  Ask for a shower stool and hand held shower head.  

• Like 3

you have received a lot of good advice & seen the variety of experiences people have had. probably the best advice is to talk to your surgeon because the type of surgeon will make a difference in your recovery. another thing that will make a difference is how active are you able to be now (if you can't do much before surgery then you will be dealing with both the surgical recovery & the muscles around the knee that haven't been used much. see if you can get an order for PT before surgery to strengthen & stretch those muscles & your recovery will be faster & easier. if you can see the PT before surgery ask them also about what to expect during recovery (they may have different info about the actual steps of recovery/pain levels etc than your doctor). hopefully you won't be traveling solo as that might present different challenges. ask about the plane trip etc not just the cruise. wishing you the best in your surgery & recovery

If you are in shape going into surgery and then do your physical therapy, home exercises and walking routine afterwards, you should be fine, although everyone heals differently. Did you buy insurance just in case? Walking right after surgery is encouraged now. By 11 weeks, my husband was walking 2+ miles daily and would have been fine traveling. Good luck and start your daily walking now,  if you currently don't walk regularly.  

• Like 1

I was on a cruise a number of years ago and one of the ladies at my table had had both knees replaced, about six weeks apart.  After the second surgery, there was no rehab bed available so she was rehabbing in a nursing home, and depressed.  She begged her doc to let her go home.  He told her she could go home if she had someone to make her bed and cook for her, and a place to walk.  She told him she knew exactly where she could get that, and booked at least three cruises B2B.  She moved slow, with a cane but no other assistive devices.  Sailing solo.  EM

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Thank you everyone for all the replies.  I think we will go ahead with the cruise. We have insurance.

I'm starting to do the pre surgery exercises and some walking. Walking is hard because of the pain in the knee but I know I have to also get my muscles ready.  

Thanks again, your suggestions are helpful.

Kaye

• Like 2

Just now, curlybelle2 said:

Thank you everyone for all the replies.  I think we will go ahead with the cruise. We have insurance.

I'm starting to do the pre surgery exercises and some walking. Walking is hard because of the pain in the knee but I know I have to also get my muscles ready.  

Kaye

We are all rooting for you!  Hope it is a wonderful and pain free cruise!

You may be on a cane but you should be fine. I have had several joint replacements after the 2nd month or so it is just a matter of exercise and walking. However make sure you do all the exercises they recommend and then do a little more. Makes a ton of difference 

I had total knee replacement 2 years ago, still have some stiffness but can still do most things.  On Enchanted in April a lady was on the Rome excursion classed as strenuous.  She was using two walking poles and when chatting to her she mentioned she had both knees replaced four weeks earlier.  Wow I was impressed. She was coping better than me on the cobblestones.  It depends on the person, but talk to your doctor and maybe factor in the difficulty of shore excursions,

7 hours ago, curlybelle2 said:

Kaye

Good Luck!

About a year and a half ago I had my first knee replacement.

There was a complication because of the  tourniquet. I spent 4 days in the hospital and still could not walk to the door of the hospital room

BUT….I still would have been able to enjoy a cruise 2 1/2 months later . 

• Like 1