Osteria

Cruise-y

3 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

Thanks to all for the photos. The starters look really good, especially the lobster. I've looked at the menu and I'm struggling a bit with the mains.

Don't overthink it.  Each time you dine there try something new. That's what we did.

• Like 2

Thank you for the photos. I really love Italian food and Italy is one of my favorite places to travel. Looking at the photos unfortunately I am not very motivated to eat at the Osteria. The only think I like from what I have seen in the photos posted, was the olive oil. However I will give it a try.

Ivi

• Like 2

Ivi, I hope that you will try the tortello ( the pasta pictured above). It is filled w

braised short rib. The sauce involves fig jus and the white sauce is gorgonzola.

This dish is an example of the whole transcending the parts. Yummy!

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

Thanks to all for the photos. The starters look really good, especially the lobster. I've looked at the menu and I'm struggling a bit with the mains.

On occasion, I’ve ordered several starters but no main. I can’t recall where I was. It was a land restaurant, possibly California.

• Like 1

The things about photos is you can't taste them or smell them.

I just encourage people to dine with an open mind and even if it doesn't work for you the first time whether it's on that first cruise or another one return.

For me I didn't care for Prego the first time I dined there on Harmony, Symphony (first two times) and on Serenity first two times.  Just didn't work for me.  But, I didn't give up. Finally figured it out and enjoyed items. I just needed to figure out the ones that worked for me.

The first time we dined at Osteria we dined with others familiar with it and one recommendation give to me was to try two starters. I did. They are not very large so that worked out good.  Each time we dined there we ordered different items. 

Keith

1 hour ago, PaulaJK said:

Ivi, I hope that you will try the tortello ( the pasta pictured above). It is filled w

braised short rib. The sauce involves fig jus and the white sauce is gorgonzola.

This dish is an example of the whole transcending the parts. Yummy!

Thank you. Actually I do not like food that is drunken in sauces. But I could order the tortellini as a small portion as starter and request the sauce on the side.

Ivi

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

The things about photos is you can't taste them or smell them.

I just encourage people to dine with an open mind and even if it doesn't work for you the first time whether it's on that first cruise or another one return.

For me I didn't care for Prego the first time I dined there on Harmony, Symphony (first two times) and on Serenity first two times.  Just didn't work for me.  But, I didn't give up. Finally figured it out and enjoyed items. I just needed to figure out the ones that worked for me.

The first time we dined at Osteria we dined with others familiar with it and one recommendation give to me was to try two starters. I did. They are not very large so that worked out good.  Each time we dined there we ordered different items. 

Keith

I agree got to Osteria with an open mind. We were fortunate to have tried Osteria seven times as we were on several btb cruises on Serenity this year. We in essence worked our way thru the menu much the same as we did with Prego .

We had our favorites at Prego and we feel that we have found the dishes that we like and will order at Osteria.

And May B, next time, do try the lamb.

• Like 3

Ivi,

I am not big on sauce as for me I like to taste the actual food.  

When we have lobster I am the one who say no thank you to the butter and when caviar is served I don't need the condiments that come with it. And I enjoy t baked potato from time to time on the ship with no condiments including no butter. 

Not all of the items have a lot of sauce but some do.  But in several cases the sauce was on the plate and not on the item so for me it worked well.

Here is the lamb.

IMG_31952.jpeg.12453dc8ae76fd51619a2c0f1ab2cec1.jpeg

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with you Keith. I also like to taste my food without sauces. In Germany, many traditional dishes have lots of sauce. I always request the sauce on the side. I like it when there is a small, decent sauce on the plate. I am attaching a picture of a dish, which I think was fine with a decent sauce, on one of my favorite restaurants in Berlin: Short rib from Wagyu, with a maracuya and smoked almond sauce.

IMG_2988.jpeg

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 3

Our first visit to Osteria was not terribly successful. I was hoping to see at least a remnant of the old Prego which I really loved, but it was all new. I picked out what I thought I would like and even though it was excellent, I left feeling a bit disappointed.

Our second visit was totally different. Mario said we should tell our waiter what we liked and didn't like and put the rest in his hands. That's exactly what we did and it was an outstanding experience. The food was off the charts (along with the service and the wine) and it became one of our two favorite restaurants on the ship. The other discovery was Tastes which one mouth-watering dish after another served in an enchanting "candleit" atmosphere at night. Going back to the Serenity for the first leg of the world cruise and looking forward to a return visit. 

Jim

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Out2See said:

The other discovery was Tastes which one mouth-watering dish after another served in an enchanting "candleit" atmosphere at night. Going back to the Serenity for the first leg of the world cruise and looking forward to a return visit. 

Jim

I am glad to read about your positive experience at Tastes. From all restaurants onboard is the one I am most curious about because I will probably will eat there on port days at lunch time. Have you been there also for lunch? Can you tell us about your experience at lunch time?

Ivi