Celebrity Beyond has a mold problem

BKTE

7 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

No disrespect to Cap_D, but on a semi luxury cruise line ya really shouldn't need these prophylactic remedies because of shipboard contamination. But I understand where your coming from.  

You'd think Celebrity and their contracted medical advisors would be all over this, but... the pandemic is over.

"Washy-washy," Richard Fain.  One of my favorite cruise line CEO's. Enjoy your retirement Richard.

None taken, it would be nice if Celebrity addressed the sewer gas and possibly mold more proactively and with ongoing effort.  Far too much seems to have to be endured, reported, or asked for by passengers.  On the other hand, we appreciated and noticed how clean the public bathrooms and spaces were during our two cruises. 

• Thanks 2

This is interesting. Dh came back from our recent Beyond cruise with an ‘unusual respiratory infection’ according to our GP.,

Thinking back there was a whiff but I didn’t think much of it and whenever we are in cabin have balcony doors open for air. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BKTE said:

Even if you can't smell it, it is still there.  I waited until day 7 of our 14 day trip before I reported it to the Retreat staff.  I would say something sooner, rather than later and don't waste time with your stateroom attendant or 'AG' (butler).  It will go no where...

It became a major problem for us (we're now home with respiratory and sinus infections).

I'd second that ... I haven't experienced this on Beyond, but I have experienced issues with Mold in a house... And there is absolutely a phenomenon that after a certain amount of time of exposure, you can no longer smell it. This phenomenon is called "Anosmia".

Mold can absolutely cause serious health issues, and if you've smelled it from day 1 and are experiencing health issues, you should notify Guest Services or Retreat Services IMMEDIATELY.

Edited by someguyfl
  • Like 2

Unfortunately we had both of these issues on Beyond's most recent TA. Our cabin was a SS adjacent to the forward elevators and my DW commented on the musty smell upon our initial entry. The real problem started that night however with creaking emanating from all four walls keeping us awake for the 14 night cruise. How Celebrity accepted this ship after sea trials is "Beyond" me. What a shame as it's a beautiful ship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sonnycruises said:

Unfortunately we had both of these issues on Beyond's most recent TA. Our cabin was a SS adjacent to the forward elevators and my DW commented on the musty smell upon our initial entry. The real problem started that night however with creaking emanating from all four walls keeping us awake for the 14 night cruise. How Celebrity accepted this ship after sea trials is "Beyond" me. What a shame as it's a beautiful ship.

What room number? 

10 minutes ago, sonnycruises said:

With regard to the noise issue, do you think your cabin was in the "stretch" area added to the ship design from Apex and Edge?  I am familiar with the noise complaints, but haven't seen them mapped out.  It seems prevalent enough that the cabins with issues are not in any one area, though figured I'd ask.  

I just saw, not surprisingly, that the Edge had complaints of a smell in 2019.  And, we had the issue on Apex.  So, class-wide issue.  

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2629704-sewage-smell-throughout-celebrity-edge/

Any bets on Ascent and Xcel?  And, it would seem the track record of Celebrity "working on issues" that are well known is pretty lousy.  Haven't seen reports of any ship design or construction issue that has been significant addressed when reading through these boards.  And, now we know that the dry dock report on Edge was basically some exterior paint (that gets done on docks all the time), barnacles (big whoop), and engine stuff. 

1 hour ago, Cap_D said:

I just saw, not surprisingly, that the Edge had complaints of a smell in 2019.  And, we had the issue on Apex.  So, class-wide issue.  

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2629704-sewage-smell-throughout-celebrity-edge/

You raise an interesting point; is it possible the IV configuration reduces the flow of fresh air which in turn promotes mold growth?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, CunucuMom said:

You raise an interesting point; is it possible the IV configuration reduces the flow of fresh air which in turn promotes mold growth?

Perhaps.  But, it's something to do with drain in the bathrooms, too. We had the smell in a sky suite and a celebrity suite, and used the balcony several times.  

13 hours ago, sonnycruises said:

We we both on the same TA.  As i mentioned in my original post, we were in 11209, just across the deck from you.  There has to be a systemic problem here - we're still sick as dogs nearly six days after diembarking.  Luckily, we didn't notice the creaking sounds - a small silver lining.   

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 2:55 PM, Lastdance said:

OMgosh, this is alarming.  We were on Beyond in May for a b2b in a Sunset Suite.  I got headaches, but when my DH and I returned home, we were both ill with sinus issues, not to mention just feeling unwell with visits to our doctor.  Mine was so bad, that I was put on antibiotics.   My DH is doing fine now, but I just had allergy tests due to being unwell since we have returned.  My tests show mold as a cause.  We are boarding Beyond in less than two weeks, in a Sky Suite on deck 10.  Thank you so much for sharing this information, as I had no idea about the ship as a “possible” cause/issue.  This will be on my radar now, as I have had to see an ENT who specializes in these issues.  I am on a steroid at the moment.  Of course, I am not going to just blame the ship, but if I do begin to feel unwell, will report it immediately and check the drains etc.  Thank you!

Yes please don't be shy about making a fuss about it.  We were trying to be 'polite' and accommodating while they 'attempted' to fix this issue.  Six days after disembarking we are still very sick with sinus infections.

If you smell that musty scent as you open the door the first day, don't dismiss it.  As a pre-emtive measure, I would block the floor, sink and tub drains immediately (it might help).  If it's in the carpet etc...  just keep as much fresh air circulating as possible. Crack the cabin door and the balcony door and create wind tunnel for awhile - it did seem to help clear out the room from time to time.

However, fingers crossed you won't have an issue and will have a fantastic cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That sickening smell is probably a drain trap that does not have water in it(due to the ships movement) or a drain that does not have a drain trap installed. This smell would be almost a sewer like smell though and not a musty smell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, r2h2 said:

That sickening smell is probably a drain trap that does not have water in it(due to the ships movement) or a drain that does not have a drain trap installed. This smell would be almost a sewer like smell though and not a musty smell.

And can pax get to the drain to pour water down?  I was in a SS on Beyond.  Don’t recall the configuration.

27 minutes ago, zitsky said:

And can pax get to the drain to pour water down?  I was in a SS on Beyond.  Don’t recall the configuration.

Yes. There's one under the bathroom trash can.  There may be another in the toilet closet.  

@Cap_D If you don't mind, which hotel in LV was so disregarding of your issue? We were at Flamingo in June after about 8 years not going to LV, and was shocked at how the customer service and maintenance seem to have diminished. Outlets in our room on side of the nightstands had unattached covers with visible wire lugs. Light bulb missing, trash piled up. Very disappointed. 

On 11/19/2023 at 12:14 PM, mayleeman said:

@Cap_D If you don't mind, which hotel in LV was so disregarding of your issue? We were at Flamingo in June after about 8 years not going to LV, and was shocked at how the customer service and maintenance seem to have diminished. Outlets in our room on side of the nightstands had unattached covers with visible wire lugs. Light bulb missing, trash piled up. Very disappointed. 

Waldorf that had been the Mandarin Oriental.  Management was MIA, and there service and physical issues with the property, including unpleasant smells in public areas.  I would also say I was there during a slower few days and it was substantially more expensive on other days of the month. 

Based on observation and experience - in Vegas, the Wynn properties have tended to have the most attentive staff, and clearly multiple layers of oversight (it was not uncommon to see Steve Wynn walking around, and still there are very active managers).  Some of the MGM properties, and Venetian complex are well maintained, but not to the same level and very impersonal.  For a new and clean room, Resorts World can be a good option, and renovated Park MGM may be okay.  If one doesn't mind walking a lot, the MGM Tower Suites are like mini apartments and have nice pools at the bottom of each tower.  And, overall, there's always deals on rooms to be found and some sites that have travel agents behind them will bundle meals and bonuses along with discounts.  

• Thanks 2

Agreed.  My wife got severely ill. Breathing and coughing issues.  A frog in her throat that got worse & worse.  She could barely croak out a sentence by evening time.  On land during Port days - it cleared up.  On board and especially in the cabin - it got worse and worse.  I hacked incessantly in the cabin. Back since 13 Nov and it has taken 10 days + for her to get close to normal. She had to go to the GP twice.  Severe air quality issues on this ship.  So many passengers coughing up lungs and hacking. Wrecked my 60th birthday cruise which ironically was her gift to me.   Never known her more miserable.  We could not wait for this trip to end.  Sad.  By contract last April [2022] we did APEX, Retreat, Ft Lauderdale to Amsterdam and had a stellar time. Everything was top notch and first rate. Incredible food, attentive staff and zero wait times or lines for anything. Retreat sundeck - they RACED over to make up the chaise.  Not anymore!  In addition to sick air/sick passengers on  BEYOND - we noted that Celebrity have downgraded their product to save money.  Evidenced by lesser amenities at the Retreat level, lower food quality/selections even at Eden or Luminae.  We noticed as we compared "apples for apples" from the last cruise.  All in all v disappointing and a waste of 20K... PS  Rely from Celebrity: "Very sorry to hear this. I have not heard anything about air quality issues onboard the Beyond."  READ THE REVIEWS AND BLOGS!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/17/2023 at 3:44 PM, hcat said:

we run air purefiers in our bedrooms st home ( ever since the smoke from Canada fires)  but even the smallest one  might not be packable.

There are portable ones that are USB chargeable so I'd think would not be a problem to pack. Yes, some are for small radii, but others are advertised as for a dorm room which would cover most non-suite cruise ship cabins.