Nov 20th Seashore Live(ish) review - Retreater goes Yacht Clubbing for 1st time

go.without.you

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." We hope you keep it up! Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

go.without.you was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

I have long been a lurker but this is my first liveish review so bear with me. 

My friend Janelle and I sail on the Seashore Monday for 6 nights with stops to the private island, Costa Maya and Cozumel. The weather is clearing up after the past couple of wet days and the ship had to move their stops around this weekend due to weather conditions.

A little background, I have been a Celebrity loyalist for over 15 years with the last 6 or so cruises in the Retreat. I have reached Elite Plus status and I will probably never hit Zenith (the highest level) unless I hit the lottery. Their recent changes and price increases had me shopping around and after reading reviews from GenX and JamieLogical I was definitely down to try MSC.

This will be my 30th cruise with past cruises on NCL, Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity, Viking River and Uniworld so cruising is like my part time job now. (One that costs money instead of making it but oh well). At this point in my life I work to support my cruise addiction.  This will be Janelle's 3rd cruise since March 2022 on Edge and Nov 22 Reflection, both in Retreat.

I’m about a 3 hour drive away from Port Canaveral (plus traffic) and if you’ve ever driven around the Orlando area then you know it is not fun. Especially the week of Thanksgiving. Nope. Not doing it, so I decided to book Amtrak. Roundtrip from Tampa was only $30 and free parking at the train station so that's a win/win. The down side is the almost 1 hour Uber ride from Orlando to Port Canaveral but it still beats driving by myself in unfamiliar lands. Also, I used their move-up program and was awarded a roomette which includes a full dinner on the train.

Since the train arrives in Orlando after 7pm I decided to spend an extra night in Cocoa Beach giving me all of Sunday to bum around. Janelle is a flight attendant from Baltimore and will meet me at the train station. It will be a 1st visit to Cocoa Beach for both of us.

I use packing cubes in my luggage and after watching a video that Jamielogical posted I will be bundling some of my clothes to save space and wrinkles. I’ll let you know how that pans out. 

My liveish review will start tomorrow after I board the train.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, go.without.you said:

My friend Janelle and I sail on the Seashore Monday for 6 nights with stops to the private island, Costa Maya and Cozumel. The weather is clearing up after the past couple of wet days and the ship had to move their stops around this weekend due to weather conditions.

A little background, I have been a Celebrity loyalist for over 15 years with the last 6 or so cruises in the Retreat. I have reached Elite Plus status and I will probably never hit Zenith (the highest level) unless I hit the lottery. Their recent changes and price increases had me shopping around and after reading reviews from GenX and JamieLogical I was definitely down to try MSC.

This will be my 30th cruise with past cruises on NCL, Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity, Viking River and Uniworld so cruising is like my part time job now. (One that costs money instead of making it but oh well). At this point in my life I work to support my cruise addiction.  This will be Janelle's 3rd cruise since March 2022 on Edge and Nov 22 Reflection, both in Retreat.

I’m about a 3 hour drive away from Port Canaveral (plus traffic) and if you’ve ever driven around the Orlando area then you know it is not fun. Especially the week of Thanksgiving. Nope. Not doing it, so I decided to book Amtrak. Roundtrip from Tampa was only $30 and free parking at the train station so that's a win/win. The down side is the almost 1 hour Uber ride from Orlando to Port Canaveral but it still beats driving by myself in unfamiliar lands. Also, I used their move-up program and was awarded a roomette which includes a full dinner on the train.

Since the train arrives in Orlando after 7pm I decided to spend an extra night in Cocoa Beach giving me all of Sunday to bum around. Janelle is a flight attendant from Baltimore and will meet me at the train station. It will be a 1st visit to Cocoa Beach for both of us.

I use packing cubes in my luggage and after watching a video that Jamielogical posted I will be bundling some of my clothes to save space and wrinkles. I’ll let you know how that pans out. 

I look forward to following along! We are booked on the MSC seashore in the YC next May. This will be our first MSC cruise. We usually cruise NCL. 

• Like 1

Following along! I sail Seashore next Sept in the YC with my hubby. It will be my second YC cruise, first one was this past August with my mom on Seaside. Hubby will be experiencing YC and MSC for the first time, I am hoping he will be hooked like I am!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, go.without.you said:

We will see you on board 

@go.without.you I am looking forward to your live report.  I, too, was a Celebrity Loyalist who has attained Zenith level and has been sailing exclusively with Celebrity since 1990.  For the past 15 years or so I sailed in Retreat (even before suites were re-named "Retreat"...LOL).  With the astronomical pricing of Celebrity Retreat class (and the decreased quality of what you're getting for what you're paying) I decided to look into MSC.  I completed my first MSC Yacht Club cruise on Meraviglia in September.  It was, without a doubt, an outstanding experience (far superior to what I've recently experienced on Celebrity Retreat!).  I have booked 2 additional MSC YC cruises for 2024.  So, I'm definitely interested in your take on MSC Yacht Club.  Enjoy!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

You must be on the Silver Star, as Silver Meteor doesn’t go into Tampa.  We rode the Silver Meteor to Tampa for a cruise,  it the portion from Orlando to Tampa was on an Ambus (Amtrak bus).  At that time there was nothing happening at the Tampa station which was rather grand.  We could not get a taxi to pick us up to go to our hotel.  We finally called the hotel and they sent a bus company they use as a shuttle,  very minimal fee.  This was in 2017.  I would do it again if I could be assured of transport.  I did sign up for Uber but have never used them.  EM

56 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

You must be on the Silver Star, as Silver Meteor doesn’t go into Tampa.  We rode the Silver Meteor to Tampa for a cruise,  it the portion from Orlando to Tampa was on an Ambus (Amtrak bus).  At that time there was nothing happening at the Tampa station which was rather grand.  We could not get a taxi to pick us up to go to our hotel.  We finally called the hotel and they sent a bus company they use as a shuttle,  very minimal fee.  This was in 2017.  I would do it again if I could be assured of transport.  I did sign up for Uber but have never used them.  EM

Yes the Silver Star.

We are also following along.  Although not cruising veterans, we have taken three, all on Celebrity, the last being in Retreat.  Loved it, but after some issues with future Celebrity cruises that had booked and ultimately cancelled, we also booked a cruise with MSC in YC.  Just made our final payment!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jjjct said:

Looking forward to your experiance on Seashore. We are on our 1st MSC in March 2024. We are NCL loyalist, so trying something new. We will be in the Yacht Club. Looking forward to your live report.

Us too, first MSC YC in April after many NCL Haven trips. NCL price increases and across the board cost cutting measures have driven us to explore other options.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, stefmaia said:

Us too, first MSC YC in April after many NCL Haven trips. NCL price increases and across the board cost cutting measures have driven us to explore other options.

Agree, our MSC YC a lot cheaper than Haven. Won't get the free laundry and 4 specialty restaurants. On a 7 night cruise don't really need laundry service, and MSC YC dining changes every night unlike Haven, so may seem like a specialty restaurant each night. 

• Like 1

So I meant to post from the train but someone forgot to pack the charger and was down to 65% on my phone. It was me. I forgot the charger. 

The train ride was fine and almost on time. It was 90% full and boarding was very easy and for $30 round-trip it was worth it. I wasn't keen on driving into downtown Tampa but that's just because it's unknown territory. I took a sandwich and some wine on the train so I didn't visit the Cafe car but it was an option. 

My Uber driver was willing to wait for my late train and Janelle to come from the airport. Also Pink was holding a concert so traffic was a bit icky.

Made it to the hotel in Cocoa Beach. We're at the Best Western which is clean and includes breakfast.

Tomorrow we explore Cocoa Beach, nothing big planned. 

Edited by go.without.you
  • Like 2

Enjoying this thread!

We too have been long time cruisers but on NCL, we recently finished Greece on the Jade and loved every minute of it!

So we came home and decided on the Red Sea and Egypt. When researching The Red Sea and Egypt MSC had the perfect option compared to NCL and other cruise lines so we booked it!

I read many of Jamielogicals "live" reports and booked all of our excursions and have been super excited about this amazing itinerary.

But unfortunately the world is not the same anymore so we have now changed our MSC Musica Red Sea to MSC Seashore and Ocean Cay with our son, wife and two grandkids! 

Next October so am anxious to hear how it goes for you and Janelle!

We won't be YC but we have two adjoining balcony cabins and the Seashore looks to be super family friendly!

11 hours ago, go.without.you said:

So I meant to post from the train but someone forgot to pack the charger and was down to 65% on my phone. It was me. I forgot the charger. 

The train ride was fine and almost on time. It was 90% full and boarding was very easy and for $30 round-trip it was worth it. I wasn't keen on driving into downtown Tampa but that's just because it's unknown territory. I took a sandwich and some wine on the train so I didn't visit the Cafe car but it was an option. 

My Uber driver was willing to wait for my late train and Janelle to come from the airport. Also Pink was holding a concert so traffic was a bit icky.

Made it to the hotel in Cocoa Beach. We're at the Best Western which is clean and includes breakfast.

Tomorrow we explore Cocoa Beach, nothing big planned. 

I am guessing that Janelle "luvs" the airline she works at! ☺️😉

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 9:37 AM, go.without.you said:

Thanks for "taking us along"....

• Haha 1

I hope you have a wonderful trip!! While you are on could you check if they offer an upgrade to the Browse internet package to the Browse and Stream package and how much extra a day that would run? I would greatly appreciate that🙏🏼 We will be sailing on her 12/7-12/17🤗

It is a pretty day in Cocoa Beach, mid seventies. 

The hotel breakfast was very good. They had scrambled eggs, sausage, oatmeal, breads, bagels, fruit and yogurt. They also had a waffle machine but I wasn't going to stand there to wait for it. It was too "peopley".

We took a walk to the Ron Jon shop then had lunch at a bar at the marina.

Had dinner at a local bar then took a walk on the pier.

20231119_094407.jpg

20231119_094419.jpg

20231119_171344.jpg

20231119_172130.jpg

20231119_172206.jpg

Edited by go.without.you
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Following along.

We are in a similar position, E+ on X, with a couple Retreat cruises coming up that were booked when the prices were reasonable. 

We have looked at MSC but have not pulled the trigger yet. Although we have booked our first Oceania and HAL cruises in the past few months.

mac_tlc

• Like 1

So we made it to the pier and it's kind of a hawt mess (to say the least). The ship arrived late this morning so everything has been delayed. 

They took us to the yacht club lounge at 1130 and all the seats were already taken. Also, there was no white tent for yacht club check in but our porter walked us to the area, so that was very nice of him.

So we waited outside for about 10 minutes then thru security to the packed lounge. There are a lot of people in the regular line and this reason alone was worth paying the YC fare.

The staff have apologized numerous times to the point that I really for sorry for them. This is beyond their control and they are handing things as best they can. They are bringing out extra chairs for the people that just keep coming. 

They just made an announcement about a delay on disembarkation causing a boarding delay. We are waiting for customs to allow boarding. 

The lounge has champagne, water, peanuts and juices that they are keeping stocked.

And we got wrist bands which I read they haven't had on past cruises due to a supply issue.

So, usually this time we'd be eating lunch and drinking wine but I'm not complaining because it's still better than a good day at work. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1