Scandinavia and Norwegian Fjords in June - Thoughts

JDPCruisers

25 minutes ago, cruzzzinma said:

The magnificent waterfalls in the Norwegian Fjords will be almost completely frozen in June. By August, they should be thawed.

Really? The best time to see the waterfalls is May and June when the water flow will be best. Typical temperature in June is 20c.

• Like 3

We were there this past June. Waterfalls were running magnificently.

IMG_3878.jpeg

IMG_3876.jpeg

IMG_3414.jpeg

IMG_3401.jpeg

If the itinerary includes Geiranger and/or Flam, go for it !

We had very-unNorwegian weather. No rain for 12 days, temps around 55 in Honningsvag up to 84 in Flam!

mac_tlc

IMG_3944.png

IMG_3798.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ijscheer said:

These itineraries look very interesting. I thought I had read somewhere that Geiranger would no longer be available as a cruise port.  Anyone know anything about this ?

I'm going there in July - I think it may be from 2026 that takes effect

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

We were there this past June. Waterfalls were running magnificently.

IMG_3878.jpeg

IMG_3876.jpeg

IMG_3414.jpeg

IMG_3401.jpeg

If the itinerary includes Geiranger and/or Flam, go for it !

We had very-unNorwegian weather. No rain for 12 days, temps around 55 in Honningsvag up to 84 in Flam!

mac_tlc

IMG_3798.jpeg

IMG_3944.png

Yes, includes both. Photos are great, thanks.

7 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

Yes, includes both. Photos are great, thanks.

Jump on it. We considered going back on Apex in 2025. 

To whet your appetite, here is my live review from Jewel of the Seas.

Edited by mac_tlc

We booked the 12 night fjord cruise June 2025 on Apex. It goes far north to Tromso and Honnigsvag which my husband want to do and hits the ports of Geiranger, Flam and Alesund...plus Haugesund so am happy with the itinerary! 

• Like 3

Hi

The big thaw sets in by April where the waterfalls are full bore,,,I was last there in August last year and they were barely a trickle.

Bare in mind that the Fjords are for the beautiful scenery not really the ports many being quite boring,,

also keep in mind Bergen is the rainiest city in Europe,,,pack a waterproof.

The highlight for many is the ride on the Flam Railway return trip to Myrdal,,book cheapest on line.

Another photo of Flam with the station,a brew pub in the town.

IMG_2040.thumb.jpeg.cbf740e1e9811efdb96d1e1f3ce9dbf5.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruzzzinma said:

The magnificent waterfalls in the Norwegian Fjords will be almost completely frozen in June. By August, they should be thawed.

Your information isn't correct. I was on a Norwegian fjords cruise last June and NOTHING was frozen.

original_851f6e41-d88e-4009-ab88-bd093c3f54a5_PXL_20220613_093030378.jpg

PXL_20220614_105201003~3.jpg

PXL_20220616_161432330.jpg

PXL_20220616_131428598 (1).jpg

PXL_20220613_100728622~2.jpg

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

also keep in mind Bergen is the rainiest city in Europe,,,pack a waterproof.

Oh man was it ever! With the wind it was raining sideways when we were there last year in June. Did a little walking, checked out all the shops in the Warehouse district, had lunch, and with the rain we called it a day and went back to the ship. As we were walking back a  Segway tour was just getting on it's way with OLD people (over 60) Crazy stupid!!! Of course as we sailed away the rains clouds left and we had an amazing sunset!

PXL_20220617_094713084~2.jpg

PXL_20220617_201611474~2.jpg

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

Why is the weather important ? Scandinavia has spectacular scenery and the best way to see it is from the fjords before the ships get banned in 2026. If you want the sun, go to the Caribbean ! Have been often and the waterfalls are usually spectacular in May once the thaw takes hold ....

6 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

When you cruise out of Southampton thoughts on flying into Southampton or London and then transportation to Southampton?

Not many flights into Southampton, but pretty easy to get there from London.  Check the ports thread - lots of discussion on this.

We are going on Apex in July 2024 on the 12 night Arctic circle Fjord then the 7 night Norway cruise B2B (only overlap is Flam).  I don't suspect many kids on the 12 night, and probably few on the 7 night.  I don't think the itinerary would be very exciting for kids, so I am just guessing people would not book that with many kids (I could be wrong).  Not like they may book a med sailing.  As far as weather - June / July is probably as good as it gets in Norway - but be prepared for sun or rain or warm or cold or both all at once.  🙂

• Like 1

I went in June 2019 and we had good weather, waterfalls were flowing, no crowds, very few children on board, very long days (midnight sun), pretty towns, magnificent scenery and all over a wonderful cruise. 

IMG20190619142859.thumb.jpg.3a4fea0b010d983565beeb4f55536e50.jpg

Mt Dalsnibba, Geiranger

IMG_20231121_074758.thumb.jpg.c35f20865a67bd7cc9122ebbaeeafe09.jpg

Brekkefossen Waterfall, Flam

IMG20190626104938.thumb.jpg.bcffcf27a6aa89cc568c236aa7b1e662.jpg

Alesund

IMG_20231121_075310.thumb.jpg.9785768ef1c6988cdf274b8a54a20ebf.jpg

Bergen

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Like 3

We went to the fjords the first week of May and had a great cruise.  We were a few weeks early for the full thaw of the waterfalls but they were still great.  We took a full day train from Flam and had some heavy snow at times but it was beautiful.  Did a whole day of hiking in Bergen with heavy rain - a bit crazy at the time but a great memory.

• Like 1