QV in Fort Lauderdale - Does the ship need to be zeroed out?

neeuqdrazil

I'm going to be joining QV for a segment of her World Voyage in January, boarding in Fort Lauderdale. I know that when QM2 turns around in Brooklyn, US Customs & Immigration requires that the ship be zeroed out before anyone can board. Is that also going to be the case in FL? 

2 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I'm going to be joining QV for a segment of her World Voyage in January, boarding in Fort Lauderdale. I know that when QM2 turns around in Brooklyn, US Customs & Immigration requires that the ship be zeroed out before anyone can board. Is that also going to be the case in FL? 

I think it is a US requirement, not NY being tediously finickety.

I'm actually not sure if it's the first US port of call or not - if it is, then that makes sense that they'd have to zero out. 

I've just checked, and it's not - the ship stops in Port Canaveral the day before! 

Edited by neeuqdrazil

When QE was doing the relocation from Alaska to the Mediterranean in August/September, we stopped in San Francisco and Los Angeles on the way to Panama.  SF was the first US port, LA the second.  We did not have to zero out in LA.

On the Atlantic side, Ft. Lauderdale was the first US call after stops in Mexico, Costa Rica, and Aruba.  We had to zero out in FtL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 57eric said:

Interesting.  Can someone confirm QV will not have to zero out in Ft. Lauderdale?  I get that logically it shouldn't, but I've never seen logic in the zero out policy to begin with.

No one here can confirm QV will not need to Zero out at FLL, that decision is made by Homeland security and them alone.

As FLL is not the port of entry to the USA, then there is a very strong probability that FLL will be treated as a internal port stop and there will be no need to Zero out.

• Like 1

I respectfully disagree.  Looking at the itineraries/segments of the QV world cruise, one segment ends in FLL, another starts in FLL.  Therefore the ship will need to zero out in FLL before those joining in FLL can board.  EM

19 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I respectfully disagree.  Looking at the itineraries/segments of the QV world cruise, one segment ends in FLL, another starts in FLL.  Therefore the ship will need to zero out in FLL before those joining in FLL can board.  EM

Not sure I follow you.  What are you saying will happen in Port Canaveral?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 57eric said:

I'm pretty sure DHS won't allow anyone to disembark any 'first' US port of call without being 'processed' which usually means 'everyone off'!

To repeat a day or two later seems unlikely but if so, tedious in the extreme.

6 hours ago, 57eric said:

Port Canaveral is a port call,  no new guests boarding so no zero out.  But there will be new guests boarding in FLL, and probably some leaving, so the ship must zero out before new guests can board.  There will probably be a large percentage staying on so likely CBP will come aboard and do it there.  EM

6 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Port Canaveral is a port call,  no new guests boarding so no zero out.  But there will be new guests boarding in FLL, and probably some leaving, so the ship must zero out before new guests can board.  There will probably be a large percentage staying on so likely CBP will come aboard and do it there.  EM

sorry Essie I disagree, Cape Canaveral zeroed out on the 2016 world cruise as did FL the next day. As someone said - its up to Homeland security and we all know they are a law unto themselves so I don't think anyone can predict 100%. 

2 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

sorry Essie I disagree, Cape Canaveral zeroed out on the 2016 world cruise as did FL the next day. As someone said - its up to Homeland security and we all know they are a law unto themselves so I don't think anyone can predict 100%. 

Well, I suppose it provides employment for people. Hard to think of any other benefits.