Downgrading cabin

Ladyaruba

This may seem foolish but wanted to know if anyone has changed from one cabin class to a lower cabin class after booking their cruise?

Not realizing that a Vista suite on the  Zaandam had a balcony, I booked a Neptune suite. (Hubby insists on a balcony for Alaska)! 
I realize now that we can have a balcony with a Vista and the cost would be close to $3000 less! I know we wouldn’t get all the perks that come with the Neptune but it is only a 7 day cruise and don’t really need the extras! Just a cabin with a balcony! Everything else on our booking would stay the same as far as excursions, dates, flight, etc. Just a different cabin category.

Perhaps the better place to ask this would be on the HAL board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/103-holland-america-line/

Shouldn't be a problem if a Vista is available. The only thing I can see is if you got certain perks with Have it All, or Club Orange, there is a possibility you might lose some of them, depending on availability.

Typically as long as you are prior to final payment and did not originally select a non-refundable deposit fare, you should be able to make booking changes without penalty.  But I would check directly with the cruise line or your travel agent (if you used one) to confirm your options.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Perhaps the better place to ask this would be on the HAL board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/103-holland-america-line/

Shouldn't be a problem if a Vista is available. The only thing I can see is if you got certain perks with Have it All, or Club Orange, there is a possibility you might lose some of them, depending on availability.

lots of Vista suites available on the same cruise. Have it all still applies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ladyaruba said:

lots of Vista suites available on the same cruise. Have it all still applies.

This is where having a decent cruise/travel agent is helpful.  A quick e-mail to our cruise agent would make this happen.  She would figure out the best strategy.  If you have a refundable deposit, you could always cancel your booking and rebook your Vista Suite.    With that leverage, a decent cruise/travel agent would likely just get your category (and price) lowered.  

Hank

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Typically as long as you are prior to final payment and did not originally select a non-refundable deposit fare, you should be able to make booking changes without penalty.  But I would check directly with the cruise line or your travel agent (if you used one) to confirm your options.

Checking with TA on Monday, thanks

• Like 1

I have done it successfully.  We had a series of major expenses and chose to downgrade on our least favorite upcoming cruise.  It was no problem as we were before final payment.  We were able to transfer our HIA package and other cruise prepurchases 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I have done it successfully.  We had a series of major expenses and chose to downgrade on our least favorite upcoming cruise.  It was no problem as we were before final payment.  We were able to transfer our HIA package and other cruise prepurchases 

I saw the subject title and thought "Mary did that" and of course, she was already answering!

OP as long as you have a refundable deposit and are before final payment, this will be possible. If some perks or bennies have changed, they will also change on your booking, but I'm sure the $3000 will make up for them!

The Vistas on Zaandam are very nice, very spacious. We had 3 adults and there were three banks of drawers & three doors of closet, and more privacy than you would think (partial wall with a curtain between the bed and the sofa/bed, etc). Have a great cruise!

• Like 3

As others said absolutely no issue outside of final payment with a refundable deposit. If nothing else simply cancel and rebook (and they can actually transfer your deposit). 

With a non refundable deposit you should most likely be able to change categories outside of final payment. 

As others have said your promotions will change to the current offering so watch out for any extras you might lose. I’ve had multiple occasions where I might safe $100 on the fare but lose $300 in grats and other perks from an early booking sale that made it not worthwhile. 

I actually got a credit once inside of final payment. I had booked an SA Neptune and an SB aft wrap opened up. I told them I didn’t even care about the refund, I just wanted that specific cabin and they ended up refunding me or transferring the balance to another booking. Absolutely would not expect this inside of final payment though. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zgscl said:

As others said absolutely no issue outside of final payment with a refundable deposit. If nothing else simply cancel and rebook (and they can actually transfer your deposit). 

With a non refundable deposit you should most likely be able to change categories outside of final payment. 

As I mentioned in my original response, and to further add to the comments by @zgscl, the refundable deposit fare will allow changes without penalty prior to final payment.

But even with a non-refundable deposit fare you should still be able to make the change.  However there likely will be a penalty involving the deposit amount that will come into play.  But if the difference between the fares as you indicate is substantial enough, the net fare change would still probably be worth the penalty involved.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ladyaruba said:

This may seem foolish but wanted to know if anyone has changed from one cabin class to a lower cabin class after booking their cruise?

Not realizing that a Vista suite on the  Zaandam had a balcony, I booked a Neptune suite. (Hubby insists on a balcony for Alaska)! 
I realize now that we can have a balcony with a Vista and the cost would be close to $3000 less! I know we wouldn’t get all the perks that come with the Neptune but it is only a 7 day cruise and don’t really need the extras! Just a cabin with a balcony! Everything else on our booking would stay the same as far as excursions, dates, flight, etc. Just a different cabin category.

I heard back from my TA and she got us changed to a Vista Suite and we still have all the perks we had on our original booking🥰🥰

excursion credits, specialty dining, Wi-Fi, drink package and crew appreciation! Very happy

Edited by Ladyaruba
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Ladyaruba said:

I heard back from my TA and she got us changed to a Vista Suite and we still have all the perks we had on our original booking🥰🥰

excursion credits, specialty dining, Wi-Fi, drink package and crew appreciation! Very happy

That's great news.  Typically the additional perks you identify would transfer to the new booking.  What may change is any OBC that was associated with the original booking fare.  But very glad this all worked out for you!  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1