dress code for men in MDR

sun&sea

Shorts and dress codes are a small concern.

What about people who put their bear fleet on tables? Senior Officer saw that and when asked why nothing was said to guest, just shook head. 

People who don't wash their hands in buffet.

These are health issues and much more important than shorts or a dress code. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sun&sea said:

Okay, so it's not an official policy that shorts are allowed, but some people wear them anyway and it is "allowed" or ignored. I get it.

We have been going to some all-inclusive resorts and the dress code has recently changed. I was just curious. 

Thank you to those that have politely replied.

Janet

We have seen passengers more than a few times wearing shorts turned away at the MDR entrance but then again I’ve seen others in shorts who either slipped by or were ignored.

Edited by MISTER 67

We were on the CB last month in the Reserve Dining Room on formal night sitting at a table where we had a clear view of an open seating table for 6 over in the MDR. There were 3 couples sitting there, each seated by the MDR host at different times. One of the gentleman who appeared to be in his 70s was wearing a tux, another gentleman probably in his 30s was wearing a black coat and dress shirt but no tie. The third gentleman was wearing an orange Costa t-shirt and tan shorts. All spouses were nicely dressed.

If I was at that table dressed as usual in my long-sleeved dress shirt with a tie, being the retired military enlisted guy in his early 70s that I am, I would be as chatty as I normally would be. But afterwards I would be chatting with the MDR host to find out whether or not I have to wear this stupid tie on formal nights any more. 😁

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We were on the CB last month in the Reserve Dining Room on formal night sitting at a table where we had a clear view of an open seating table for 6 over in the MDR. There were 3 couples sitting there, each seated by the MDR host at different times. One of the gentleman who appeared to be in his 70s was wearing a tux, another gentleman probably in his 30s was wearing a black coat and dress shirt but no tie. The third gentleman was wearing an orange Costa t-shirt and tan shorts. All spouses were nicely dressed.

If I was at that table dressed as usual in my long-sleeved dress shirt with a tie, being the retired military enlisted guy in his early 70s that I am, I would be as chatty as I normally would be. But afterwards I would be chatting with the MDR host to find out whether or not I have to wear this stupid tie on formal nights any more. 😁

It sounds like you would be seated.  You should show up with one in your pocket next time. That way you’re covered no matter what.

• Like 1

what's a "tie" ? - Oh yeah, burned those about 35 years ago.  I think I might have one somewhere back in the closet - the last time I wore one it seems like on our first cruise on Princess - 2007 Diamond Princess to Alaska - Suit on Formal night(s), and Sport coat and tie on casual nights.  Next cruise in 2010 - left the suit at home, took the sport coat, but no tie.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

what's a "tie" ? - Oh yeah, burned those about 35 years ago.  I think I might have one somewhere back in the closet - the last time I wore one it seems like on our first cruise on Princess - 2007 Diamond Princess to Alaska - Suit on Formal night(s), and Sport coat and tie on casual nights.  Next cruise in 2010 - left the suit at home, took the sport coat, but no tie.

I quit trying a rag around my neck when I retired.  I've also found that I can pack light for a cruise evenings by packing a black blazer, several nice T-shirts with matching pocket  squares, and a pair of black slacks and a pair of black jeans.

I've passed muster with this system on Cunard and generally fall somewhere between a tux/suit and shorts with a wife beater and ball cap on backwards on other lines.

I have never worn a tie on a cruise any night.  I quit wearing ties in the early 90's as my company relaxed its standards.  For the last many years my formal wear is a short sleeved guayabera and some type of pants usually like khakis.   I have worn nice shorts on regular nights.  I have never had them even give me a second glance. 

The days of formal dress on cruise ships is long gone.  As the world becomes less formal or even dressier, it will be more relaxed on cruise ships. 

Edited by satxdiver

3 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Sometimes easier said than done.

There's always the buffet.

37 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

I have never worn a tie on a cruise any night.  I quit wearing ties in the early 90's as my company relaxed its standards.  For the last many years my formal wear is a short sleeved guayabera and some type of pants usually like khakis.   I have worn nice shorts on regular nights.  I have never had them even give me a second glance. 

The days of formal dress on cruise ships is long gone.  As the world becomes less formal or even dressier, it will be more relaxed on cruise ships. 

Some people just can't accept or believe it, no matter how many times it's  posted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Ties are not required. Feel free to skip it 

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
6 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

It would have to be a very long tie to skip with it 😉

Edited by Snaxmuppet

It's actually real simple. You'll get away with shorts and t-shirts in the MDR. Even on formal night. The days of them turning you away are in the past. However.. simply pack one pair of jeans or long pants in your luggage (who doesn't take one pair of long pants away on holiday with them.. even in warm destinations for just in case).. and then you're covered if the unthinkable happened and you found some Maitre-D trying to reinvent the past! 🙂 Simple! Next! 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Torfamm said:

Actually, thinking about it and going back almost 40 years I can't recall a single incident of anyone being told they needed to have a tie to eat in the DR- on Princess. 

That sounds like a restriction that you might have found on Cunard many years ago. 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Actually, thinking about it and going back almost 40 years I can't recall a single incident of anyone being told they needed to have a tie to eat in the DR- on Princess. 

That sounds like a restriction that you might have found on Cunard many years ago. 

This was cruising when we started 20 years ago:

" I don't get this place. They make me buy a new outfit, and they let you in with a house dress."

22 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Although that example was an extreme case, the problem could have been solved by simply asking for another table. 

It was only one night. If that person had been there other nights then we would have asked to permanently move. We had requested this waiter and junior waiter after the first night when we like them so much.

• Like 1

I don't think tank tops in the dining room at dinner is appropriate. On formal night I saw many men wearing khaki pants and button-down shirts with no tie or jacket. I have no problem with that. But there needs to be a minimum dress code enforced in the evening. No gym wear, no tank tops, no flip-flops.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2