Live from QV to the Canary Islands.

LadyL1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Turkey, if it's got all the trimmings.

I love a turkey dinner. especially if I haven't cooked it! 🙂

Good job you are not on a certain P&O cruise this month  ( not suggesting you would)  Apparently on this November itinerary  guests have been enjoying the concept of 'Tinsel & Turkey' - not only that, have been encouraged in advance to pack & wear Christmas Jumpers  😱   Paying thousands of pounds for this experience sounds more like a Warners Weekend Break 😅  

• Haha 2

I had three turkey dinners last year, just three so an extra one onboard ship would be great although I'm not a fan of tinsel with my turkey, most unpalatable. Christmas sweaters are tacky in any circumstances but packing them for a cruise? UGH in the extreme.

As you equate a Turkey dinner, or to be fair it might just be the sweaters, with a Warners break, I'm guessing you wouldn't be a fan of Hot Dog. fries, fried onions and ketchup as a substitute for a Gala Dinner menu.

Yum yum. 😃

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/27/2023 at 10:20 PM, BigMac1953 said:

Had  a really bad experience tonight in QG.

Arrived about 8:10pm. Ordered starters and confirmed my main course as Dover Sole , which I had oedered at lunch time.

Wd did get our starters fairly promptly, but an hour later, we were still waiting and nothing was happening.

Her indoors, said she had enough and didn't want anything no as it was too late.

Just as we rose, they turned up, but too late as I felt the same way.

We  heard Ico quiz our waiters as to what had happened. We heard them telling him that there was no Dover Sold available and they had to go to get it. An hour later?

We left.

Ico profusely appologised.

Think you may have dodged a bullet. The Dover Sole that was served to me on the cruise prior to yours on QV in QG was off.

• Like 2

This morning we awoke to find wall to wall sunshine and we were already alongside in Arrecife! On the jetty an ambulance was waiting: a sad end to someone’s holiday. We are sharing the port with the Costa Firenze. Another calm night had passed and it has been difficult to believe we have been traversing the Atlantic Ocean. 

These rocky outcrop islands although barren have a charm on a fine day. The black soil and the distant black hills and mountains are eerily haunting. In the marina there were some serious ocean-going yachts, which are a spectacle to see. Around this fairly new area (which is very clean) a few shops and cafes ply for trade from those who do not wish to venture far. There were certainly early morning tours leaving for sights further afield.

In the past I have been quite outspoken of the dire internet reception in the rooms. This voyage is our first since the new Starlink service has been in place, and very impressed indeed: no more sitting on the stairs midships in hopes of finding a connection.

This is a very good cruise to be on as we hear of the chill in the UK, while we can happily stroll, swim or take the sun with the need of sun protection cream! I think there might be a few persons who will have a rather “lobsteresque”  appearance tonight; the sun beds are in heavy demand.

IMG_4362.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LargeNegroni said:

It should always be excellent- not off, or a no show.

The problem seems to be consistency. 

To be fair, my husband has the dish a couple of times a week and has yet to have a baddun and whilst there is  no excuse for an off dish, it must be very very rare judging by the number of grilled Dover Soles my husband consumes each year on Cunard.

5 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

To be fair, my husband has the dish a couple of times a week and has yet to have a baddun and whilst there is  no excuse for an off dish, it must be very very rare judging by the number of grilled Dover Soles my husband consumes each year on Cunard.

Was he brought up by someone of the same persuasion as my mother, who was a great advocate of fish on the grounds it was good for the brain? I’m not sure she was right. 🙂

7 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Was he brought up by someone of the same persuasion as my mother, who was a great advocate of fish on the grounds it was good for the brain? I’m not sure she was right. 🙂

No. He comes from a solid meat eating background.

He just happens to love a simple grilled Dover Sole and which he most definitely would not get at home.

24 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

No. He comes from a solid meat eating background.

He just happens to love a simple grilled Dover Sole and which he most definitely would not get at home.

Firedobber recommends Thomas Keller's recipe for Dover Sole. Simple, delicious and divine. 

Edited by Firedobber

2 minutes ago, Firedobber said:

Firedobber recommends Thomas Keller's recipe for Dover Sole. Simple, delicious and so divine. 

If it's tarted up with anything other than the Dover Sole itself, then that defeats the object of a simple Dover Sole.

Back to the actual thread topic, we have just left Lanzarote after witnessing another amazing sunset. Three passengers were left behind.

It is so mild there is going to be a late deck party tonight, but we shall not be present.

• Like 2

We were the last ones running onboard the ship in Greece once, got there in the last minute. Cunard gave us a local bus schedule which I know now is just really good fiction reading. We hauled back to the ship with the craziest Greek cab driver in existence. 

• Like 1

Cunard pier runners!! Never thought I'd say that, especially when you think of the usual age of the passengers.    

Really enjoying this thread as we will be onboard over Christmas and New Year.  @LadyL1 What did you do in Lanzarote?  We will be there overnight and I'm curious what there will be to see.

Edited by babs135

2 hours ago, babs135 said:

What did you do in Lanzarote?  We will be there overnight and I'm curious what there will be to see.

Arrecife is really a one street town, with lots of wee side streets running off.

While we were there, they were tinkering with the Christmas lights which seem to cover the whole shopping area. I imagine it will be quite spectacular when switched on at night.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Arrecife is really a one street town, with lots of wee side streets running off.

While we were there, they were tinkering with the Christmas lights which seem to cover the whole shopping area. I imagine it will be quite spectacular when switched on at night.

Hope you got an excellent dinner.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 8:31 PM, Bell Boy said:

Good job you are not on a certain P&O cruise this month  ( not suggesting you would)  Apparently on this November itinerary  guests have been enjoying the concept of 'Tinsel & Turkey' - not only that, have been encouraged in advance to pack & wear Christmas Jumpers  😱   Paying thousands of pounds for this experience sounds more like a Warners Weekend Break 😅  

Hi can anyone  tell me who the dance teachers are as i believe  the couple that  were onboard in October  are now on Queen Mary 3

Last night leaving Lanzarote was the most beautiful evening we could ask for at this time of year: warm with a spectacular moon. I wandered up to deck 9 after dinner and the deck party was being enjoyed by all ages.

This morning we arrived in Santa Cruz, and for those of us with balconies on the starboard side, certainly have the short straw. It was very warm, just a little sun (even though the BBC weatherman promised more) and to our port the Costa Firenze and Aida Stella were also visiting. 

After breakfast yet another lonesome swim, which is just so pleasant! I did leave the ship and the port buildings are clean and modern. However, I fear that those with any mobility issues may have been surprised by the distance to just leave the secure area.

By 4.00 o’clock the clouds could not hold their content any longer, and it is now pouring which I fear may have set in for the rest of the day. 

The jungle drums have not reached our ears as to whether those left behind in Arricife have rejoined the QV. It has been a topic of conversation onboard, and have not heard anyone who felt any sympathy for those involved. 

It St Andrew’s day (Scotland) and the menu tonight is themed for the occasion in many dishes. I have to say, the offerings make for a difficult choice, but food is a  subjective topic.  There are many who post about the quality of food, but being back on Cunard really puts things into perspective and dining has been wonderful!

For tomorrow it is La Palma, and we hope the sun will shine again. I find this such a charming port of call, especially at this time of year.

IMG_4382.jpeg

IMG_4390.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

St Andrew'x Day

First time we've berthed so close to the town, but still a very long walk to the port exit.

We walked all the way up the main shopping street, then spent a fortune on aftershaves and perfumes, so that's a big chunk of Christmas shopping taken care of.

Managed to get back on board before the downpour started. Pub lunch burger for a change.

For dinner tonight, I had a DOUBLE haggis, tatties and neeps to start. Her indoors plumpted for the Cullen Skink.

Algthough I had Lemon Sole, my dessert was Cranachan, to keep it a wee bit Scottish.

Geronway Thom's show was good and funny, albeit for the fourth time in the last half dozen years.