Eggs

Hobar

I get egg whites often on my cruises, once asked for spray vs. oil, it was a disaster on the pan, they stuck and burned, after that I just have them use the oil, the outcome is better not only for the pan but taste wise as well.....that's my thoughts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hobar said:

Can I get egg whites, dry (a spray rather than oil)?

Her Majesty requests "egg whites" at lido breakfast w/no problem..same for MDR breakfast.....I am clueless about a request for "spray vs oil".

They aim to please. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

You can get egg white omelets in the lido and MDR.  I have no idea about the oil 

For my eggs in the Lido I requested they be cooked with butter, not oil.  Watched as the cook wiped out the pan & used butter  🙂 so I think they would honor your request.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, whogo said:

It seems incredibly wasteful to apply oil to a frying pan with an aerosol can. Consider poached egg whites.

How incredibly wasteful?? Wouldn’t the discarded egg yolks be more wasteful?  Do you also fret at the wasted food that people leave behind?  In any event, poached egg whites don’t sound appetizing to me but feel free to eat all you want. 

• Like 1

If I want eggs for breakfast on the ship, I only want egg whites; I get them at the omelet station in the Lido. They ladle the egg whites out, but must have a conversion method to know how to get the number of eggs you want. 
It varies with the ship, but on some ships you can also get toast and bacon at the same station. On others, I have had to go to other stations to get those with the eggs. 

• Like 1

I think they will do their very best to cater to your needs. I seem to recall cartons of egg whites at the omelette station. I think there is also cooking spay there, I'm not sure what the advantage is for that. It is after all just vegetable oil in an aerosol can. Omelettes are not cooked at high heat so that isn't an issue.

3 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Eggs are almost always cooked in nonstick pans.  And spray is bad for nonstick pans.  So they may be reluctant to use spray.

Spray on nonstick pan

I would hope they do not use nonstick pans as they are bad for the environment and bad for humans.  Just Google and you will see.  

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think they will do their very best to cater to your needs. I seem to recall cartons of egg whites at the omelette station. I think there is also cooking spay there, I'm not sure what the advantage is for that. It is after all just vegetable oil in an aerosol can. Omelettes are not cooked at high heat so that isn't an issue.

For me, it is primarily taste.  I do not like heavy oil or butter that many people like.  Another advantage of spray is fewer calories, but that’s just me.  

1 hour ago, Hobar said:

For me, it is primarily taste.  I do not like heavy oil or butter that many people like.  Another advantage of spray is fewer calories, but that’s just me.  

It's not that I like butter -- it's that I'm allergic to soybean & canola oils.

• Thanks 1