United

trbarton

Pretty much every airline today will have earbuds available if you forgot yours, the question is if you have to pay for them or not.

I know that United Premium and Business/First provide noise cancelling headphones that cover the ear, but I travel with my own because you don't know how these are sanitized.   

I have never flown economy on United, so I went to their site and found this:

image.thumb.png.2432bd1bab087ae2398e099337a5b358.png

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 1

Keep in mind that domestically on United, only some planes will have in-seat entertainment.  On many/most narrow-body aircraft, they have personal device entertainment where you sign into the wifi on your phone/tablet and can select from an array of TV shows/movies.  There is no charge for that.

18 hours ago, no1racefan1 said:

Both times they were individually wrapped.

Don't know if you were responding to my comment:

I know that United Premium and Business/First provide noise cancelling headphones that cover the ear, but I travel with my own because you don't know how these are sanitized.   

The noise cancelling headphones are individually wrapped but they are recycled and repackaged after every flight.  Some of these have foam type ear cushions, and my question is how are these being sanitized.    (Yes, I am a germaphobe)

The ear buds that are individually wrapped, I don't believe that they are recycled.  They are used in such high numbers, they would be cheap to buy and probably more expensive to recycle.

Edited by CDNPolar

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Don't know if you were responding to my comment:

The noise cancelling headphones are individually wrapped but they are recycled and repackaged after every flight.  Some of these have foam type ear cushions, and my question is how are these being sanitized.    (Yes, I am a germaphobe)

The ear buds that are individually wrapped, I don't believe that they are recycled.  They are used in such high numbers, they would be cheap to buy and probably more expensive to recycle.

Oh, I see. I wasn't aware that they 'recycle' the noise cancelling ones. That would freak me out too. I've only had the cheapies in economy 😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, no1racefan1 said:

Oh, I see. I wasn't aware that they 'recycle' the noise cancelling ones. That would freak me out too. I've only had the cheapies in economy 😄

Did you expect them to toss away a set of $100 plus headphones after one use?

I assume you know that they don't disinfect your seat between flights.

21 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Of course 🙄

Pretty sure I've made it clear that I fly in economy and I'm not even a frequent flyer at that so I didn't even really know we were talking about $100+ headphones here....  I'm also not the first one that said I wouldn't want to re-use them either.

13 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I am the guy with the Clorox wipes that throughly wipes down everything.  The one most disgusting thing is how BLACK the wipe is after wiping the headrest.  Shocking actually.  

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 12:45 PM, FlyerTalker said:

I assume you know that they don't disinfect your seat between flights

Perhaps on some, but certainly not on all or even on most.  I have sat on too many WN flights with stops were one group of passengers gets on pretty much after the last group left.  They pick up trash and do a passenger count and that's about it.   I doubt this type of cleaning happens for aircraft flying through major hubs with only an hour or so on the ground.  Perhaps some deeper cleaning is done at the end of  so many cycles, but I just can't seeing it happen on every flight.

15 hours ago, SelectSys said:

Perhaps on some, but certainly not on all or even on most.  I have sat on too many WN flights with stops were one group of passengers gets on pretty much after the last group left.  They pick up trash and do a passenger count and that's about it.   I doubt this type of cleaning happens for aircraft flying through major hubs with only an hour or so on the ground.  Perhaps some deeper cleaning is done at the end of  so many cycles, but I just can't seeing it happen on every flight.

There are so many shorts, clips, reels of flight attendants sharing their wisdom of the dirtiest areas on the plane, and one that does not surprise me is the seat back pocket.  I have watched people that is sit beside, blow their nose repeatedly on a tissue and then stuff it in the seatback pocket, only to take it out again, blow again and then put it back.  

They have swabbed these seat back pockets and find all kinds because parents will stuff a folded dirty diaper there until they get up to take it to the lavatory.  

Disgusting.  Absolutely disgusting is that seatback pocket.

I am not a believer that the air on a plane is responsible for illness, it is hand to tray table, hand to seatback pocket, and then hand to mouth.  This is where your sickness is coming from when you fly.

This discussion is about United.  This is NOT just a United thing.

Edited by CDNPolar

On 11/30/2023 at 3:45 PM, FlyerTalker said:

Just wait until they learn hotels don't throw out sheets after every stay...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, fbgd said:

Just wait until they learn hotels don't throw out sheets after every stay...

I bring my own!  Haha. (Joking)

I worked in the hotel industry for the beginning of my career.  You would be surprised how many people will bring their own sheets and especially pillow cases.

6 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I worked in the hotel industry for the beginning of my career.  You would be surprised how many people will bring their own sheets and especially pillow cases.

I mean, people on cruises bring power strips, staplers, christmas lights, and god knows what else. I would never bring my own sheets to a hotel, but that's a lot less odd than what a lot of people seem to bring on cruises. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2023 at 1:43 AM, CDNPolar said:

I bring my own!  Haha. (Joking)

We bring our own pillow cases...

5 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

If it's a hotel where I would want to be using my own pillowcases and sheets, it's a hotel that I will NOT be staying in.

I stayed and worked (contract supplier) in many upscale hotels when I worked in the industry, and it was not a case that you "needed" to bring your own sheets or pillowcases... it was a thing I feel that some people just were not going to trust any hotel no matter the star level, and they wanted their own.  Just made them feel safe and better.