Which Port In Puerto Plata?

tmal2

I understand that Puerto Plata has 2 cruise ship ports. We will be sailing on the NCL Getaway 2/16-2/26 and will be in Puerto Plata on the 23rd but have no idea which port we will be arriving at. We are interested in the pool/lazy river area at Taino Bay but have heard it gets very busy when there are multiple cruise ships in town.

according to Cruisedig, there will be 4 ships arriving in Puerto Plata on the 23rd but it does not specify whether they will be docking in Taino Bay or Amber cove. Does anyone know of a way to find this information?

Thanks

We are on the same sailing! 

This is a fairly common question, because there is not a 100% answer. Normally, NCL docks at Taino Bay (this was true for our last two visits to Puerto Plata.) However, NCL ships occasionally dock at Amber Cove. This doesn't matter for shore excursions, since the excursion companies track where the ships will be docking and flex as required. But it would matter if you really wanted to check out the amenities at Taino Bay. It is pretty new, and nice.

See you on board!

This is weird.. Our 12/12/2023 stop in Puerto Plata does not show at either one on 12/12 by NCL Encore..

https://www.puertoplatadr.com/cruiseports/cruise-ports/cruise-port-schedule/.    Unless I am missing it somewhere?  I located a second site & it is not listed on there either... so odd.. I located a 3rd website & it shows NCL 12/12 at Amber Cove, but the other 2 sites do not even have the ship on there for 12/12/2023. ... Found a 4th website & it also shows Amber Cove.. Bummer.. really wanted to try Taino Bay.. But no worries... Just finally glad to be back cruising after FIVE years !!!!!! So excited... First time in Vibe Beach Club & we have a Thermal Spa room (booked before changes) & we fly into Miami on Dec 9 & cruise on 12/20 on the beautiful Encore.. This will be our THIRD Time to reschedule it since Covid times !!!!! Third Time is a charm !!!!!!!!

Edited by Noworkforme23

44 minutes ago, wil e coyote said:

We are on the same sailing! 

This is a fairly common question, because there is not a 100% answer. Normally, NCL docks at Taino Bay (this was true for our last two visits to Puerto Plata.) However, NCL ships occasionally dock at Amber Cove. This doesn't matter for shore excursions, since the excursion companies track where the ships will be docking and flex as required. But it would matter if you really wanted to check out the amenities at Taino Bay. It is pretty new, and nice.

See you on board!

Well if we are on the same sailing, then you know they switched the the ports all around. Right now my excursion looks like it has been taken away. All the other ports show excursion booked 1, but Puerto Plata is now showing booked 0. 

1 hour ago, Topdog52 said:

Well if we are on the same sailing, then you know they switched the the ports all around. Right now my excursion looks like it has been taken away. All the other ports show excursion booked 1, but Puerto Plata is now showing booked 0. 

Did they switch them up? I either didn't notice, or we booked after the change was made.

33 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Somebody at NCL needs to update their webpage. In the "Ports" section, this is what it says for Puerto Plata:

• Port Name & Location
    Amber Cove Cruise Terminal. Ship will DOCK at this port.

PP has been an adventure for a few years now. My understanding is that Amber Cove was the only port for some time, and then they built Taino Bay to add capacity. Not long after it opened, an NCL ship ran aground while leaving port (I believe it was Escape), and then NCL ships didn't go to Taino Bay for about a year.

Now NCL ships generally go to TB, but every once in a while they go to Amber Cove. I don't know why. Maybe capacity. Maybe weather. Maybe moon phase...🤪

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, wil e coyote said:

Did they switch them up? I either didn't notice, or we booked after the change was made.

yes we went from a sea day to the Royal Navel Dockyard then another sea day. Now we have 2 sea days at the begining, then Puerto Plata DR and the Dockyard is at the end of the cruise. Every port is on a different day and time, except St. Thomas. None of the excursion times match up with the Docking time. I hope I get the excursion's I booked! 

7 minutes ago, Topdog52 said:

yes we went from a sea day to the Royal Navel Dockyard then another sea day. Now we have 2 sea days at the begining, then Puerto Plata DR and the Dockyard is at the end of the cruise. Every port is on a different day and time, except St. Thomas. None of the excursion times match up with the Docking time. I hope I get the excursion's I booked! 

@Topdog52 are you on the 2/16 sailing? Here is what I see for the 2/16 itinerary:

image.png.1a2aadc1ebae4498b89327d9fb8275dc.png

3 hours ago, wil e coyote said:

PP has been an adventure for a few years now. My understanding is that Amber Cove was the only port for some time, and then they built Taino Bay to add capacity. Not long after it opened, an NCL ship ran aground while leaving port (I believe it was Escape), and then NCL ships didn't go to Taino Bay for about a year.

Now NCL ships generally go to TB, but every once in a while they go to Amber Cove. I don't know why. Maybe capacity. Maybe weather. Maybe moon phase...🤪

This ⬆️

On 11/28/2023 at 5:20 PM, tmal2 said:

I understand that Puerto Plata has 2 cruise ship ports. We will be sailing on the NCL Getaway 2/16-2/26 and will be in Puerto Plata on the 23rd but have no idea which port we will be arriving at. We are interested in the pool/lazy river area at Taino Bay but have heard it gets very busy when there are multiple cruise ships in town.

according to Cruisedig, there will be 4 ships arriving in Puerto Plata on the 23rd but it does not specify whether they will be docking in Taino Bay or Amber cove. Does anyone know of a way to find this information?

Thanks

i was on sky last week.
It was Taino Bay.

My understanding is that Amber Cove is Carnival

4 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

i was on sky last week.
It was Taino Bay.

My understanding is that Amber Cove is Carnival

Carnival Corp owns Amber Cove but NCL ships also stop at Amber Cove, like my Epic cruise earlier this year and the Joy as mentioned by another poster on this thread.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Carnival Corp owns Amber Cove but NCL ships also stop at Amber Cove, like my Epic cruise earlier this year and the Joy as mentioned by another poster on this thread.

interesting. next time i'm there, i'm going to ask why one port over the other.

• Like 1

OP:

FWIW: We're on a 2/24 sailing with "Amber Cove" shown as a stop on the webpage cruise itinerary summary, which matches what is shown on our booking summary (below).

As noted in #12, GA webpage cruise itinerary summary shows "Puerto Plata" (ie Taino Bay); if your booking summary also shows "Puerto Plato" I'd bet you're going to Taino Bay (at least on paper!?).

image.png.ec6e2899750196e2314c4ed7cd5b0c83.png

12 hours ago, CWMixer said:

OP:

FWIW: We're on a 2/24 sailing with "Amber Cove" shown as a stop on the webpage cruise itinerary summary, which matches what is shown on our booking summary (below).

As noted in #12, GA webpage cruise itinerary summary shows "Puerto Plata" (ie Taino Bay); if your booking summary also shows "Puerto Plato" I'd bet you're going to Taino Bay (at least on paper!?).

image.png.ec6e2899750196e2314c4ed7cd5b0c83.png

Ahh.. that's very helpful!

Yes, when I was at DR last week at Taino bay, cruise docs did say Puerto Plata 

Thx

15 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Yep.  I did not realize that either, but our 12/12/2023 stop in the DR is going to be in Amber Cove with the Carnival Celebration. I was hoping for Taino Bay instead. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 1:17 PM, wil e coyote said:

@Topdog52 are you on the 2/16 sailing? Here is what I see for the 2/16 itinerary:

On 12/1/2023 at 1:49 PM, Topdog52 said:

No I am on the 12/6 sailing.

I'm on an April sailing of this itinerary.  Hope to hear about your experiences!

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 12:42 PM, wil e coyote said:

Amber Cove is owned/operated by Carnival Cruise Lines. Carnival, Holland and Princess ships use Amber Cove. If less than two CCL ships are at AC on any given day, the available slips are rented by CCL to other lines.