Which itinerary would you pick?

Mademoiselle22

Hello,

Which of the 3 Itineraries would you pick for a first time cruise of the Adriatic coast? 

1.  NCL Getaway 10 day Cruise Greek Isles, Santorini, Mykonos from Istanbul, November 6, 2024

2.  NCL Dawn 10 Day Cruise Greek Isles, Santorini and Croatia from Venice (Trieste) October 17, 2024

3. NCL Viva 9 Day Cruise, Greek Isles, Santorini, Mykonos & Croatia from Venice (Trieste) - October 10, 2024

I like itinerary #1 a lot overall.  Since it starts in Istanbul I would happily do a few precruise day there.  I also like the fact that the cruise goes to Olympia, Koter, Dubrovnik, Split and Koper.  I'm just concerned about how late in the season the cruise starts in early November.  I'm really interested in seeing some of the archaeological sites in Greece, but would like to have somewhat sunny days as well.

I like itinerary #2 as well.  Do you think it's too late in the season?

I don't mind going on an older ship either. 

Thanks for your help

We did a B2B that had stops in the 2  and 3rd choices. You will love 💕 which ever your chose. We went back and did the Holyland  cruise two years ago that had Rome and some of Greece stops. Just a beautiful part of the world to see.

both are outstanding, but i would pick #2 . Venice is unbelievable, last year we spent 2 days prior to sailing, and hired a shuttle t take us to trieste. we spent a night in trieste (also a very beautiful city) and athens at the end is also amazing. that being said, however, i dont think you can go wrong picking any of them. through the last few years, we've sailed to/from most of these ports, and they are all amazing, especially if it's your 1st time

regardless of which you choose, bon voyage!

#1 would be the best as it’s off season, less crowds, especially Santorini. Weather would still be warm & pleasant.

#2 is next, but still in season. 

#3 no. Viva cannot tender with their own lifeboats. The other 2 can. Still in season and earlier than Dawn’s.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

#1 would be the best as it’s off season, less crowds, especially Santorini. Weather would still be warm & pleasant.

#2 is next, but still in season. 

#3 no. Viva cannot tender with their own lifeboats. The other 2 can. Still in season and earlier than Dawn’s.

May I add, explore/research the flights to Istanbul & Venice and pre-cruise hotel days first before deciding on option #1 and #2.

We recently were on Viva and although it’s a beautiful ship with nice cabins, we would go on either Breakaway or Dawn over Viva. Viva is very different from other NCL ships (except Prima). 

#1, the crew on Getaway is amazing! And, Istanbul would beat out Venice for me (haven't been to either). I'm a lover of the newer ships, so for me Dawn is too old. V!va has too much premium as the newest ship to have the value I look for... ignite the fact I'm currently on Pr1ma haha 

November can be nice. Or it can be non stop rain and/or windy/cold. I have had both and you cannot predict in advance which one you will have. So of warmth is something you are looking for you should definitely skip the first one although it is a lovely route otherwise. 

Although I have to say that if Istanbul is important for you the 9am-6pm stop that you’d have there with the other cruises won’t be enough. Even close. So you’d need to first decide if Istanbul is something you’d want to experience. If yes you need to sacrifice the thought of warmth. If warm weather is important yo you I’d choose 2 because I simply like smaller ships. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 9:08 PM, Mademoiselle22 said:

Hello,

Which of the 3 Itineraries would you pick for a first time cruise of the Adriatic coast? 

1.  NCL Getaway 10 day Cruise Greek Isles, Santorini, Mykonos from Istanbul, November 6, 2024

2.  NCL Dawn 10 Day Cruise Greek Isles, Santorini and Croatia from Venice (Trieste) October 17, 2024

3. NCL Viva 9 Day Cruise, Greek Isles, Santorini, Mykonos & Croatia from Venice (Trieste) - October 10, 2024

I like itinerary #1 a lot overall.  Since it starts in Istanbul I would happily do a few precruise day there.  I also like the fact that the cruise goes to Olympia, Koter, Dubrovnik, Split and Koper.  I'm just concerned about how late in the season the cruise starts in early November.  I'm really interested in seeing some of the archaeological sites in Greece, but would like to have somewhat sunny days as well.

I like itinerary #2 as well.  Do you think it's too late in the season?

I don't mind going on an older ship either. 

Thanks for your help

Just returned from essentially your #2: Trieste --> Istanbul on Dawn. I though Dawn was well suited for this itinerary. It was very port-intensive. We did lots of archaeological sites in Croatia, Turkey, and Greece. Weather was a factor in mid November--we missed our port call for Olympia due to high winds making docking unsafe at Katakolon that day, and it was somewhat chilly and windy at Santorini and Mykonos, too. I really hate to think what it was like there this summer with 90-100 degree temps and the more crowded conditions! We enjoyed spending time in Istanbul after the cruise, too. 

On 11/30/2023 at 8:24 AM, pete_coach said:

I would choose 2 or 3.

I have no desire to be anywhere near Turkey.

Why not?

Izmir/Ephesus and Istanbul were both perfectly safe--and amazing, interesting destinations. 

On 11/30/2023 at 3:17 PM, schmoopie17 said:

Yeah, it was awesome. You haven't lived until you've had turkey in Turkey.

Our Thanksgiving Day lunch in Türkiye, our Thanksgiving dinner filets at Cagney's, and what our poor, abandoned children had back home in Minnesota 😂

IMG_3661.jpg

2023-11-23 11.08.27.jpg

IMG_1681.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, quercus alba said:

Just returned from essentially your #2: Trieste --> Istanbul on Dawn. ...We enjoyed spending time in Istanbul after the cruise, too. 

Why not?

Izmir/Ephesus and Istanbul were both perfectly safe--and amazing, interesting destinations. 

Istanbul

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/turkey-travel-advisory.html

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/destinations/europe/turkiye

Years ago we did Ephesus (docked in Kusadasi) and enjoyed the history but Istanbul is not for us.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Istanbul

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/turkey-travel-advisory.html

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/destinations/europe/turkiye

Years ago we did Ephesus (docked in Kusadasi) and enjoyed the history but Istanbul is not for us.

Istanbul is literally as far away from the Syrian border as one can be--literally on a different continent.

As I told several people, I felt safer in Istanbul than in an American bowling alley, night club, or elementary school! 🤔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, quercus alba said:

Istanbul is literally as far away from the Syrian border as one can be--literally on a different continent.

As I told several people, I felt safer in Istanbul than in an American bowling alley, night club, or elementary school! 🤔

Just linked the warnings. I did not write them.

I am glad you had no issues.

On 11/29/2023 at 10:08 PM, Mademoiselle22 said:

Hello,

Thanks everyone for their responses 🙂. I’ve gotten deposits for #1 and #2.  But will pick #2 if life circumstances permit’s.

If by any chance, the cruise companies end not going to Turkey next year (due to world events and/or events in Turkey), does anyone have a guess which port NCL might choose to use instead of Instanbul or Kudadasi (Epheseus)?

1 hour ago, Mademoiselle22 said:

Thanks everyone for their responses 🙂. I’ve gotten deposits for #1 and #2.  But will pick #2 if life circumstances permit’s.

If by any chance, the cruise companies end not going to Turkey next year (due to world events and/or events in Turkey), does anyone have a guess which port NCL might choose to use instead of Instanbul or Kudadasi (Epheseus)?

Wise move to place deposits on two cruises and then cancel one when it's close to final payment due date.

I had a closer look at the itineraries of #1 and #2, and if it were us we'd book #1 the Getaway as you get all full day in each of the ports!! And no Ravenna! This is a waste of port as it takes 2 hours to get to Venice and 2 hours back, and there isn't much to do in Ravenna itself. We haven't been there but have read somewhere else. Both the Dawn (#2) and Viva (#3) go there.