Just off Sojourn - agree with SLSD

arzz

Just off the Sojourn - 14 day Caribbean - ports were very nice. We were seldom at dock with large cruise ships but instead tendered to smaller anchorages. The.anchorage at Guadeloupe was not the town where Death in Paradise is filmed but it could have been.  Absolutely old Caribbean charm. Our first cruise since Covid. And overall it was a wonderful cruise. 

Seabourn appears much as we remember it from 2019 when we last cruised (Antarctica on the Quest and RT Dublin on the Ovation I think)

Wonderful, friendly, helpful crew who remembered our names quickly.  Suite as we remembered it - a lovely mild Molton Brown bar soap at the sinks, two other bar soaps out to choose from as well as a huge selection of Molton Brown pumps of bath gel, shampoo and conditioner to choose from in the suite. Our suite host and attendant were super. No complaints here - only compliments. 

The food in the dining room at dinner was excellent and well served and I think I gained at least 20 pounds on those incredible sundaes. 

Somehow, once again we neglected to go to the TK Grill so I expect that experience is never to be had by us.

What we really missed, however, were dining room breakfast and lunches. The Colonnade and Patio get old fast. To be honest I am a little too OCD to enjoy a buffet. Too many folks handling and mishandling the serving equipment - and on the fruits and salads sometimes the serving tool is placed on top of the food platter so that the handle (that has been handled by many) sits touching the food. Also, to be honest, the food in the hot dish servers is glorified cafeteria food … and the venue is crowded. We tended to eat either outside or not at peak times where we had more space. 

The dining room was only open for breakfast and lunch on sea days (there were four of them) and lunch one day was the galley lunch. If I fear the colonnade food line I am terrified of the galley kitchen event.  That is just me as the rest of the ship seemed to find it wonderful and I am sure it was. 

The only thing that could have made this cruise better would have been an option of dining room breakfast and lunch. We are with you here SLSD. With the Seabourn tariff can we not expect this?

Edited by arzz
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• arzz changed the title to Just off Sojourn - agree with SLSD

I am very sorry to mention this but there were some water issues on deck 6.  Our suite was on deck 6 and one day we realized that our feet got damp every time we entered the bathroom.  It was oddly unclear where the moisture was coming from.  We told our suite attendants.  Apparently there had been a water issue next door and the moisture was under the floor and seeping in from between the floor tiles.  The issue was quickly remediated and thereafter our bathroom floor remained dry.  However, there were at least two more water issues in our corridor with water apparently seeping from the walls, wetting the hallway carpet and in one case at least causing the folks in one suite to relocate.  There were fans in the hallways and in that one suite they left the door was left open in the now empty suite for a couple of days to dry it out.  They then replaced the carpet. We have no idea where the water was from.  I hate to see these issues on ships but they do happen and Seabourn seemed on top of it.

9 hours ago, arzz said:

What we really missed, however, were dining room breakfast and lunches. The Colonnade and Patio get old fast. To be honest I am a little too OCD to enjoy a buffet. Too many folks handling and mishandling the serving equipment - and on the fruits and salads sometimes the serving tool is placed on top of the food platter so that the handle (that has been handled by many) sits touching the food. Also, to be honest, the food in the hot dish servers is glorified cafeteria food … and the venue is crowded. We tended to eat either outside or not at peak times where we had more space. 

The dining room was only open for breakfast and lunch on sea days (there were four of them) and lunch one day was the galley lunch. If I fear the colonnade food line I am terrified of the galley kitchen event.  That is just me as the rest of the ship seemed to find it wonderful and I am sure it was. 

The only thing that could have made this cruise better would have been an option of dining room breakfast and lunch. We are with you here SLSD. With the Seabourn tariff can we not expect this?

Thanks for saying that you agree with me about the need for the MDR to be open for breakfast and lunch,  I've taken a lot of flack in this group for saying so.  I'm not OCD normally, but have always avoided buffets as I don't like food sitting out with utensils handled by everyone.  I HAVE dined in the Colonnade at the buffet--but not sine our first cruise on SB and only a couple of times on that first cruise.  We do dine out on the veranda of the Colonnade ordering from the very short printed menu.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SLSD said:

Thanks for saying that you agree with me about the need for the MDR to be open for breakfast and lunch,  I've taken a lot of flack in this group for saying so.  I'm not OCD normally, but have always avoided buffets as I don't like food sitting out with utensils handled by everyone.  I HAVE dined in the Colonnade at the buffet--but not sine our first cruise on SB and only a couple of times on that first cruise.  We do dine out on the veranda of the Colonnade ordering from the very short printed menu.  

For a different perspective, I am currently on the Encore on the Athens to Dubai journey with many sea days (I believe 10 so far, but have not counted them). The Restaurant (MDR) has been open on sea days for breakfast and dinner, but is almost deserted.  For breakfast time, the number of passengers have ranged from a high of 10 to a low of 3 (including me).  Although I dine there every sea day (mainly for the quiet in the morning), frankly I wonder how Seabourn can justify opening it for breakfast.  When there is an event at lunch in the MDR (Galley Market, etc.), the turnout is good, but otherwise there are very few passengers there. The times I eaten lunch there (5 sea days), the count has ranged from 5 to about 25 maximum.  From this view, I understand why Seabourn does not bother to open the MDR on port days and question if it even makes sense to open for breakfast (or possibly lunch) on sea days.  Each voyage is different, but my assumption is that Seabourn has studied the situation and concluded that there is just not sufficient demand to open.  

25 minutes ago, NancyDrew1953 said:

For a different perspective, I am currently on the Encore on the Athens to Dubai journey with many sea days (I believe 10 so far, but have not counted them). The Restaurant (MDR) has been open on sea days for breakfast and dinner, but is almost deserted.  For breakfast time, the number of passengers have ranged from a high of 10 to a low of 3 (including me).  Although I dine there every sea day (mainly for the quiet in the morning), frankly I wonder how Seabourn can justify opening it for breakfast.  When there is an event at lunch in the MDR (Galley Market, etc.), the turnout is good, but otherwise there are very few passengers there. The times I eaten lunch there (5 sea days), the count has ranged from 5 to about 25 maximum.  From this view, I understand why Seabourn does not bother to open the MDR on port days and question if it even makes sense to open for breakfast (or possibly lunch) on sea days.  Each voyage is different, but my assumption is that Seabourn has studied the situation and concluded that there is just not sufficient demand to open.  

Yes, this is the argument always given.  I have seen many more dining in the MDR for breakfast and lunch on the cruises we have taken.  I think many do not realize it is open---or really prefer the cafeteria style buffet.  Not to beat a dead horse, but there are those of us who do not find the Colonnade at lunch time to be anywhere near luxurious. 

• Like 1

The Colonnade comes into its own at lunchtime on a lovely day, whether in port or at sea, if you can find a table outside and just relax into having a glass or two of wine while thinking about what to eat  and just taking it at your own pace enjoying the scenery and fresh air.  I have never been there on an evening when the weather was suitable for being outside, but in the tropics the same could apply - especially if Earth and Ocean was full.

• Like 1

I am a firm believer in “if you build it they will come” - on our last day at sea - the fourth day the DR was open (on a 14 day cruise) for lunch so many folks came to eat there that they had to frantically call staff down from the colonnade and the patio in order to serve everyone.   It may not be a lot of folks every day but I bet on most cruises there would be a loyal DR contingent if they knew it was open. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, arzz said:

I am very sorry to mention this but there were some water issues on deck 6.  Our suite was on deck 6 and one day we realized that our feet got damp every time we entered the bathroom.  It was oddly unclear where the moisture was coming from.  We told our suite attendants.  Apparently there had been a water issue next door and the moisture was under the floor and seeping in from between the floor tiles.  The issue was quickly remediated and thereafter our bathroom floor remained dry.  However, there were at least two more water issues in our corridor with water apparently seeping from the walls, wetting the hallway carpet and in one case at least causing the folks in one suite to relocate.  There were fans in the hallways and in that one suite they left the door was left open in the now empty suite for a couple of days to dry it out.  They then replaced the carpet. We have no idea where the water was from.  I hate to see these issues on ships but they do happen and Seabourn seemed on top of it.

As you say,these small things do happen on any ship.

I would be worried if it happened on a submarine but not on a ship.

• Haha 1

I too do not like buffets, and will do anything to avoid them, on land or sea.  Not only do they seem chaotic, but loud, and yes............germy.  I would eat in the MDR for breakfast and lunch everyday, when possible, if it were made available.  Hey Seabourn - I hope you are listening.  We continually put it on our post cruise questionnaire.  I am sure those who like to partake of the pool and the sun will continue to enjoy the buffets.

I must be peculiar then... I like the Colonnade, especially on warm days sat outside for lunch.  I just find it relaxing, and one can order from a menu if that's what appeals.

I also think the Colonnade on an evening has got so much better than it used to be.  Again, I only like sat outside because it's a much better ambience than inside.  We rarely sit inside for any meal in the Colonnade.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SLSD said:

...  I think many do not realize it is open...

3 hours ago, arzz said:

It may not be a lot of folks every day but I bet on most cruises there would be a loyal DR contingent if they knew it was open. 

The daily Herald, both printed and in the app, show the hours for each dining venue.

On the 16 sea days on our recent Odyssey cruise, the Restaurant was open for breakfast and lunch.  We walked through breakfast one day, and perhaps 10 people were dining.  We went to lunch several times, and at most there were 20 diners.

3 hours ago, arzz said:

- on our last day at sea - the fourth day the DR was open (on a 14 day cruise) for lunch so many folks came to eat there that they had to frantically call staff down from the colonnade and the patio in order to serve everyone.

Often, at the end of a cruise, groups such as trivia teams or bridge players, have lunch or dinner together at large tables in the Restaurant.  Trivia teams especially may come to lunch after the noon trivia.  Our 22 member baggo group more than doubled the lunchtime diners!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mauzac said:

I must be peculiar then... I like the Colonnade, especially on warm days sat outside for lunch.  I just find it relaxing, and one can order from a menu if that's what appeals.

I also think the Colonnade on an evening has got so much better than it used to be.  Again, I only like sat outside because it's a much better ambience than inside.  We rarely sit inside for any meal in the Colonnade.  

Same for us.  I do not like the ambience inside the Colonnade.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

Often, at the end of a cruise, groups such as trivia teams or bridge players, have lunch or dinner together at large tables in the Restaurant.  Trivia teams especially may come to lunch after the noon trivia.  Our 22 member baggo group more than doubled the lunchtime diners!

At the end of each of our Quest Grand Voyage segments, there were three, this happened. Many trivia groups had a final lunch.

The MDR was open quite often in the middle segment because we had quite a few sea days, more than expected due to bad weather. We had about 20 or more dining there but I attribute that to the cold and the fact that for awhile we had to have windows in the Colonnade blacked out due to regulations. The concern was bird strike if they got confused by lights inside. The MDR had curtains drawn but because of the large space didn't feel as oppressive.

The first and last segments had very few diners in the MDR because we had more port days and people even on sea days didn't use it so much.

Just off the same cruise and agree with everything said in the OP (Deck 6 forward, wondered about the water leak mid ship). We took this as a spur of the moment R&R cruise, so we stayed on board for many port days. Frankly, lunch is a real problem, bordering on embarrassment for Seabourn. Colonnade menu dining has just one item cooked to order - the hamburger. Everything else is pre-cooked, served lukewarm and tastes like food that had been sitting for a while. Likewise, the only Patio Grill cooked to order items are the hamburgers and hot dogs, with the daily theme items pre-cooked and served cafeteria style. (I can't speak to whether the daily specials are cooked to order as they never appealed.) Colonnade cafeteria offerings were invariably heavy, salty, saucy goulashes and lukewarm proteins. Close your eyes and it could be any mass market ship buffet. I expect more at this price point.

Meanwhile, the expanded room service menu has a number of cooked/made to order items available anytime that would be welcome additions to the everyday lunch menus (hello Club Sandwich?) in the Colonnade and Restaurant. Additionally, there is a real need for some lighter, healthier lunch options, in particular some entree salads. Currently, if you want a non-Caesar salad you must assemble it yourself (with common serving utensils) from meager day-old protein options. How about a quality Chef Salad and/or Asian Salad? In short though, they really could alleviate this problem by simply adding some (or all) of their anytime room service menu items to the everyday Colonnade/Restaurant lunch menus. After all, they stand ready to make them anytime, so…

Evening dining was very good with Earth and Ocean standing out, with stellar, friendly service prevailing throughout the ship. Some tightened staffing showed at the margin, in particular there being just two waiters somehow admirably serving the entire Sushi/Club clientele during the busy pre-dinner hour, but they never let it affect their public demeanor. TK Grill was fine and though service was on point it felt like everything was on borrowed time. Couldn’t help feeling like staff must be counting down the days until they never have to do tableside caesar dressing again, even if they never let it show. 

• Like 6

Hear hear @Robisan!  I so agree with you. We, too, for a variety of reasons spent most days on board and lunch was sure boring. Sandwiches, meal salads would really have helped. Tired of hot dogs, hamburgers and fish of the day. At this price point I expect more and I expect better quality than the hot items on the serving line. 

i hate to make this comparison because in so many ways there is no comparison between Seabourn and HAL as Seabourn far exceeds HAL in most areas - but for lunch give me an HAL lido buffet over the current colonnade offerings.  

Our first Seabourn cruise was Athens to Dubai on the Pride in 2012 - wonderful ports but in many ways Seabourn at the time did not fit our needs - however I remember eating breakfast and lunch in the colonnade daily and really enjoying it. I do not remember the monotony that we experienced at lunch time this trip. 

• Like 2

Reading Robison's review of lunch at the Colonnade, the choices must have gone down dramatically  since I was last on board.  It used to be a pleasure to walk along the line and choose combinations of salady things with seafood or meats to go with them.  Lots of choice.  What a shame, if this is so.  Too many new untrained staff perhaps?

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

Reading Robison's review of lunch at the Colonnade, the choices must have gone down dramatically  since I was last on board.  It used to be a pleasure to walk along the line and choose combinations of salady things with seafood or meats to go with them.  Lots of choice.  What a shame, if this is so.  Too many new untrained staff perhaps?

I was addressing the cooked hot items on offer and, in particular, the lack of freshly prepared menu items. There were indeed prepared 'salady things' also on offer, some quite tasty, however they're generally pulled together with oils or dressings (and salt), so not exactly light and healthy. Plus, they are of course only available to those willing to indulge buffet serving.

A PS to my post above, there is a lovely, innovative Chef Salad in the starter section of the Restaurant everyday menu that with some protein enhancement would make a terrific lunch menu entree. Again, like cribbing from the room service menu, there are ways to use what they're already doing to improve their lunch menu offerings.

7 hours ago, lincslady said:

It was lovely for us in August, so these criticisms are puzzling me.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mauzac said:

It was lovely for us in August, so these criticisms are puzzling me.  

I guess things can change depending on who is senior staff?

We also enjoyed Colonnade in September for the few sea days we had. We usually eat ashore but I understand on a transatlantic you don't have that option 😄.

Friends who have been on Odyssey for a Grand Voyage currently have been very happy with lunch offerings and had great senior staff in charge.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

I guess things can change depending on who is senior staff?

We also enjoyed Colonnade in September for the few sea days we had. We usually eat ashore but I understand on a transatlantic you don't have that option 😄.

Friends who have been on Odyssey for a Grand Voyage currently have been very happy with lunch offerings and had great senior staff in charge.

I suppose there will be at least one opposing view of a cruise that is posted here.

Different strokes and each cruise is nit the same viewed from different eyes.

• Like 3

We usually do not eat breakfast whether on a ship, land vacation, or at home.  Coffee black is my priority. On Seabourn the MDR is usually open at times I am not yet up at if I wanted breakfast - I am on vacation.  When open for lunch and we are on-board much prefer to dine at the MDR for lunch.  We have seen 30+ tables for lunch on some cruises but it will depend on the itinerary and pax who KNOW MDR is an option.  Since we like cruises with sea days usually MDR is open on sea days.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

We usually do not eat breakfast whether on a ship, land vacation, or at home.  Coffee black is my priority. On Seabourn the MDR is usually open at times I am not yet up at if I wanted breakfast - I am on vacation.  When open for lunch and we are on-board much prefer to dine at the MDR for lunch.  We have seen 30+ tables for lunch on some cruises but it will depend on the itinerary and pax who KNOW MDR is an option.  Since we like cruises with sea days usually MDR is open on sea days.  

We have also seen 20-30 tables occupied at lunch in the MDR.  I do agree with you that the breakfasts served there are too early for most people.  I would like to see the hours extended.  Too much trouble?  For a luxury cruise line???

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 8:24 AM, Mauzac said:

Dining outside at the Colonnade in the evening is sublime with the ship's wake as your background view.  We love this experience and the informality and are drawn to it, as long as the Colonnade menu suits us.

• Like 6

We also strongly dislike and don’t eat buffets.  We tend to have room service breakfast, but prefer to eat lunch in the MDR.  A patio burger ( if freshly made) is ok on occasion ( we will miss the Thomas Keller burger), and if in ports with restaurants will eat off the ship if time, but Colunnade is a no for lunch for us.  We strongly believe a luxury line should have the MDR open as an alternative every day.  I know we’ve all said this before and hope Seabourn is listening.

• Like 4

Ditto on the buffet opinion!

That being said, our one and only cruise on Seabourn was Sojourn, Nov/Dec 2022. The buffet was the best we've ever had on a cruise line. The wait staff was phenomenal and the manager was formerly the TK manager, but filling in for someone on vacation. So maybe that made a huge difference? Hopefully, he has gotten a huge promo, because he was the best of the best.

• Like 2