Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

3 hours ago, island lady said:

No idea...but definitely should have been taken out of service for a couple of weeks to refurbish before the WC.  Yikes.  Too many things broken from the start.  One of the outbound elevators still not running (Centrum).  Stuck on 12.  

Hmmm.

We are on a sailing end of October. Wonder if she will be back to "normal" by then.

12 hours ago, GimmeOcean said:

The logistics of resupplying the ship for the WC have to be quite a bit more involved than the usual situation where a ship would be back in its home port every week or so. Not too surprising that some issues are occurring.

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Though with the ship far from sold out...the initial stock up should have been plentiful...but apparently was not.  

Probably not a good business strategy to wait to decide to learn how to manage the logistics of a world cruise until you are actually on the world cruise - especially since they could have walked down the hallway of their Miami HQ and asked someone at Silversea what "gotchas" to look out for and avoid when they were laying out the route and potential provisioning obstacles that could result.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Probably not a good business strategy to wait to decide to learn how to manage the logistics of a world cruise until you are actually on the world cruise - especially since they could have walked down the hallway of their Miami HQ and asked someone at Silversea what "gotchas" to look out for and avoid when they were laying out the route and potential provisioning obstacles that could result.

Correct,on an earlier post in this thread someone mentioned. While at one of the ports they thought Royal could just walk the streets and pick fresh produce and meat at one of the street markets if they saw something that looked good to bring back to the ship for the passengers to eat.

Sorry  but I sure hope it doesn't work that way for the passengers sake.

Everything should be lined up ahead of time for being picked up at the ports,if they run out of something that just means their projections are off for that item.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

Hmmm.

We are on a sailing end of October. Wonder if she will be back to "normal" by then.

I am guessing.....not.   We are a continuous cruise until mid September.  We are back on again in Barcelona until it finishes the WC (4th/last quarter) back into Miami.  I don't see where they will be doing any major repairs, etc. along the way until then.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Yup, a project in motion.  Jump in feet first...see what happens.  🤕

Eh, oh well.  We are still enjoying the cruise, and have the best part of this first quarter coming up.  I am so looking forward to some cooler weather, seeing Antarctica, the Magellan straits, Drake Passage, Chilean fjords, whales, Penguins, etc. etc.  And have some pretty cool tours booked as well.  🙂 

Lets face it..."poop happens".   You accept that it will, make the best of it, enjoy what you can...and no matter what, we are making it happen.  😉  As I always say  "Good or bad...experience it all, and appreciate the good where it makes an appearance".  

We are are out here doing it. 🤗

Edited by island lady
  • Like 22

Day at sea, always a good time to do something different to pass the time.  Today was sushi making class, of which we have done many on various ships.  Some were not so great (Harmony was the worst) and some were really good.  This one was a good one.  The two of us and an Aussie Lady with her 3 teenagers.  They were a lot of fun.  😁

Naturally had to sign the rules paper, then class began with the chef.  Bucky managed to graduate...just barely.  😄  Then it was time to eat our work.  Yum!  And...they ran off to another restaurant to snag a Kim Crawford SB for myself and the Aussie Mom...Mmmm...perfect!  

20240103_080035.jpg

20240103_080212.jpg

20240103_085357.jpg

20240103_085408.jpg

• Like 18

14 minutes ago, island lady said:

Lets face it..."poop happens".   You accept that it will, make the best of it, enjoy what you can...and no matter what, we are making it happen.  😉  As I always say  "Good or bad...experience it all, and appreciate the good where it makes an appearance".  

We are are out here doing it. 🤗

If a couple varieties of wine is the worst thing they run out of, I'd say things are pretty good overall. If they run out of toilet paper I think the logistics might need some revamping.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

They finally took all the Christmas decorations, including the tree.... down this morning.  Elevator this morning was full of "plastic pine tree needles" when I went for morning coffee. 😉  

Only a few days ago they stopped playing the canned, old, elevator style Christmas music.  You know, they kind they play on a loop of 8-10 songs...loudly at the pool deck and the Centrum.  OMG...I like Christmas Ok...but wow...that music since we left on Dec. 10th was enough to make me want to arf up a Christmas ornament.  😵😉 😄 

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

Naturally had to sign the rules paper, then class began with the chef.  Bucky managed to graduate...just barely.  😄  

20240103_085357.jpg

So is that the Japanese version of a dunce hat.  😁

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, GimmeOcean said:

If a couple varieties of wine is the worst thing they run out of, I'd say things are pretty good overall. If they run out of toilet paper I think the logistics might need some revamping.

Oh yeah, I would not want to be working in the laundry dept. if that happened.  🤢😬😉 

• Like 1

Just now, doghog said:

So is that the Japanese version of a dunce hat.  😁

LOL...you know your bro....it's not a lamp shade on his head at a party...but comes close to it.  😄  He is such a ham for the camera..  😁

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, island lady said:

Yup, a project in motion.  Jump in feet first...see what happens.  🤕

Sort of like trying to teach someone to swim by throwing them off of the boat and yelling shark. Yep, that is always a good plan😇

They had a 28 night practice cruise to figure out and fix some of the stuff you are still dealing with...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I wish there were more posters like you on Cruise Critic. It seems like most threads anymore, people just want to complain. It’s become the Grumpasaurus Rex Club. 

• Like 19
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, island lady said:

LOL....so far neither of us has been the least bit sea sick...and even better, no "barf" bags on the stairwells yet.  (That is when you get real worried).  😮 

Glad to hear your OK. True, had the bags out on 3 of my Royal Cruises in last yr, Serenade, Radiance and Jewel. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I wish there were more posters like you on Cruise Critic. It seems like most threads anymore, people just want to complain. It’s become the Grumpasaurus Rex Club. 

Awww...thanks.  Very sweet of you...I do try my best to keep it fun and amusing.  As you said...too many grumpy types out there...I think it's nice to have a little balance.  😉 😄 

And...IMHO...there are too many other more scary social media sites out there that have become a feeding frenzy of ......well, you know what I mean.  🤕

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Glad to hear your OK. True, had the bags out on 3 of my Royal Cruises in last yr, Serenade, Radiance and Jewel. 

Yup...have been on them as well.  I don't think they had the time to put them out yesterday, that wind storm came up so suddenly.  And went away almost as fast.  Could have been a lot worse.  😮 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, island lady said:

Alpha call a few minutes ago...stateroom on deck seven.  I hope the person is OK.  

Hope the person is okay and can be treated on the ship.  It would be interesting to know how many had to already leave for medical reasons.  It seems to me that already a number of guests have left, perhaps more than usual?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Hope the person is okay and can be treated on the ship.  It would be interesting to know how many had to already leave for medical reasons.  It seems to me that already a number of guests have left, perhaps more than usual?

No idea.  A few years ago, on a simple 7 night cruise on Freedom we had 8 medical emergencies.  It was unreal and sad, and two of them were almost at the same time.  We all hope it does not happen to us, but obviously we can't read the future.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Was on a PreCV 12n Repo, we had 6 go ashore for Medical during Cruise not counting Family Members. Happens, been on Dozens Cruises where we Helo'd passengers off, speed up or turn around with Sick passengers. Longer the Cruise more likely happen and not to mention Family Emergencies. 

• Like 1

We're not always aware of passengers leaving for medical reasons because some leave in ports after self reporting to medical so there's no alpha call for them.  We had one cruise out of Baltimore where we had one evac before we got to the Bay Bridge.  That particular cruise had multiple aplha's and a few evacs.   So, the reality is, there are always more than people think there are.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, island lady said:

No idea.  A few years ago, on a simple 7 night cruise on Freedom we had 8 medical emergencies.  It was unreal and sad, and two of them were almost at the same time.  We all hope it does not happen to us, but obviously we can't read the future.  

we were on a cruise on Anthem in January 2019 I think, there were multiple ambulances at every port, and at every port we turned around to go back and disembark a sick passenger, we also made it back to port at I think around 8:00 p.m. the night before as there was someone who needed to get off.  Very sad cruise

• Like 3

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Alpha call a few minutes ago...stateroom on deck seven.  I hope the person is OK.  

I do too.

Say when ship docked in one of the ports there were ambulances on dock. So ant idea if anyone taken off?

Long cruises drinking and eating it is easy to overdue and become ill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I do too.

Say when ship docked in one of the ports there were ambulances on dock. So ant idea if anyone taken off?

Long cruises drinking and eating it is easy to overdue and become ill.

Don't forget the demographic 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1