Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

3 minutes ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

Gratuities!   And on some luxury lines flights are “included” in fare.  They usually do offer a fare w/o flights.  Important to do apples-to-apples comparison.  Of course, the luxury lines are pricey but when you back out a fair value for all of the included amenities the difference in fares between main line and luxury line shrinks quite a bit.  Of course, if one is upper tier on RCL (daily drink allotment, Wi-Fi, other discounts), the price comparison tends to blur.   We’re D+ on RCL, Elite on Princess and some loyalty rank on others.  Becoming Pinnacle on RCL?  We tend to think of it this way:  What do you get?  Two Hershey bars and a Coke?

Whaaaaat???   Where are MY Hersey bars!!???!!   I have been robbed!!  😁

• Haha 11

One possible positive about all of the ticytockers is the potential to lower demand.  And we all know if that will help all of us get lower rates overall.

So I will laugh at them, and hopefully enjoy the further savings.

One heck of an adventure, this cruise is.  Maybe one day we will be able to do it if they do it again.

BTW, one thing that I would love to see at the end is the total overall spend on the cruise.  For the excursions and on board spending.  And not perfect, but a good number to help put a budget together for a future possibility.  Round up.  Then I will have to find the budget to keep my house standing for the time off... LOL.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

Gratuities!   And on some luxury lines flights are “included” in fare.  They usually do offer a fare w/o flights.

Crew to Passenger ratio ~1:1, Gratuities, all flights, UBER Black from home to airport (at both ends of the cruise), baggage handling, internet; pre and post cruise hotel night all included. Not sure about Silver Sea on discounts yet, but on Regent they will reduce the cost if you don't need to fly or participate in the pre-cruise hotel stay.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

Here you go:

BTW, DW and I are looking at doing an 81 night RT (NYC/NYC) that does most of Europe, Scandinavia, Iceland and the Canadian Maritimes in summer 2025

silver_nova1.jpg

wish I could get Bob to go for it…..it’s like pulling teeth to get him to agree on a long cruise.

I’m going to go look at this now though 😉 maybe if I coax him with we can see the kids before AND after the cruise. We have 2 that are still there….

• Like 1

We just took our first River Cruise - Iconic Christmas Markets - on AMA Waterways in December.  It was amazing!  We spent 6 nights in Prague prior to boarding and loved it.

Turned out due to early snow, followed by above freezing temperatures, and some rain, the Danube became too high to safely traverse, so we only left the dock once.  It was a 7 night cruise, we spent 5 nights on the ship, and were bussed to our Christmas Market cities.  The last 2 nights in Vienna and Budapest, they put us up in 5 star hotels.  We were also given money (50€) for lunch two of the days we were out.  On Day 3, we were told we would be getting a 100% cruise credit ($10K for us), good toward any cruise booked within 3 years!  We could also combine another 5% “next cruise” discount if we chose to purchase a certificate.  The AMA customer service was unbelievable!

There were 146 passengers, the food, crew, and entertainment on the ship were excellent, and everyone got an opportunity to have dinner at the Chef’s Table (included).  Excursions were also included.

We had such a great time and they took such good care of us, we would have been happy with nothing extra!  We have already applied the credit to an 11 night Rhine River cruise in 2025 and can’t wait to go!

• Like 12

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Tour to the winery yesterday.  45 minute bus ride to get there...2 hours to get back.  Ughh...driver decided to take the "faster" way home on the main highway.  Got stuck in 2 traffic jams...worst one was inside the very long tunnel

The good:  Winery was beautiful, wines (what tiny sips they gave us) were very good.  All the beautiful landscaping gorgeous.   

But...as a part of the good...with random shots of the winery.  

20240123_091323.jpg

We visited this winery last year with a small group for a private tour and wine tasting that included lunch.  The food was so good, I am still thinking about it.

I wanted to go again yesterday, just for lunch with wine, but logistically it was too difficult and expensive for the transportation.  After reading about your traffic experience, I’m very glad we did not attempt it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

BTW, one thing that I would love to see at the end is the total overall spend on the cruise.  For the excursions and on board spending.  And not perfect, but a good number to help put a budget together for a future possibility.  Round up.  Then I will have to find the budget to keep my house standing for the time off... LOL.

I don't want to know.  😱 😁

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

wish I could get Bob to go for it…..it’s like pulling teeth to get him to agree on a long cruise.

I’m going to go look at this now though 😉 maybe if I coax him with we can see the kids before AND after the cruise. We have 2 that are still there….

I have the opposite situation....Bucky is constantly nudging me to book more exotic and longer cruises.   Yeah...really just terrible situation.  😉 😄 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

18 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

We just took our first River Cruise - Iconic Christmas Markets - on AMA Waterways in December.  It was amazing!  We spent 6 nights in Prague prior to boarding and loved it.

Turned out due to early snow, followed by above freezing temperatures, and some rain, the Danube became too high to safely traverse, so we only left the dock once.  It was a 7 night cruise, we spent 5 nights on the ship, and were bussed to our Christmas Market cities.  The last 2 nights in Vienna and Budapest, they put us up in 5 star hotels.  We were also given money (50€) for lunch two of the days we were out.  On Day 3, we were told we would be getting a 100% cruise credit ($10K for us), good toward any cruise booked within 3 years!  We could also combine another 5% “next cruise” discount if we chose to purchase a certificate.  The AMA customer service was unbelievable!

There were 146 passengers, the food, crew, and entertainment on the ship were excellent, and everyone got an opportunity to have dinner at the Chef’s Table (included).  Excursions were also included.

We had such a great time and they took such good care of us, we would have been happy with nothing extra!  We have already applied the credit to an 11 night Rhine River cruise in 2025 and can’t wait to go!

We did Viking 3 week European Sojourn river cruise this last September from Bucharest to Amsterdam.  Bit smaller ship, but same type of thing.  Our problem was the opposite.  We had water level too low in the Danube, and had to "switch ships" mid way, which is pretty common unfortunately.  But is also the reason the Viking river ships are identical.  Same set up, same cabin.  Only bad thing is the packing up and the bus ride.  

But wow...did we love it!  Total different experience.  Love to do it again.  🥰

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, island lady said:

I have the opposite situation....Bucky is constantly nudging me to book more exotic and longer cruises.   Yeah...really just terrible situation.  😉 😄 

Bob&Carol, Ted&Alice😇

Edited by orville99
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

We visited this winery last year with a small group for a private tour and wine tasting that included lunch.  The food was so good, I am still thinking about it.

I wanted to go again yesterday, just for lunch with wine, but logistically it was too difficult and expensive for the transportation.  After reading about your traffic experience, I’m very glad we did not attempt it!

The way you did it, smaller group and lunch would have been much more preferable to us versus the large bus load of pax (actually 2 buses).   Not our style at all....but win some lose some.  We have been fortunate up until then to enjoy the small group tours.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

We did Viking 3 week European Sojourn river cruise this last September from Bucharest to Amsterdam.  Bit smaller ship, but same type of thing.  Our problem was the opposite.  We had water level too low in the Danube, and had to "switch ships" mid way, which is pretty common unfortunately.  But is also the reason the Viking river ships are identical.  Same set up, same cabin.  Only bad thing is the packing up and the bus ride.  

But wow...did we love it!  Total different experience.  Love to do it again.  🥰

We did the Grand European 14 night Budapest to Amsterdam with Viking and agree it was wonderful. I wish, in hindsight, we’d added the trip to Bucharest. 

• Like 3

On the dining -- yes, the MDR is changing the wait staff every mini leg for reasons unknown to me.  So, for the full world cruisers, we were asked if we wanted to keep the table we are at (main dining) and we decided we would keep it, so we got new wait staff, but not a new table.  But I know others who (as has been mentioned), like their specific wait staff members, so they have moved to the location where the wait staff is now working. We were only asked if we wanted to change our table location near the end of the first leg; nobody mentioned it near the end of the second (although I will admit to missing some of the last few nights as we went to Giovanni's and Izumi). We'll see if they ask near the end of this one. 

• Thanks 1

Keep

2 minutes ago, LadyZolt said:

On the dining -- yes, the MDR is changing the wait staff every mini leg for reasons unknown to me.  So, for the full world cruisers, we were asked if we wanted to keep the table we are at (main dining) and we decided we would keep it, so we got new wait staff, but not a new table.  But I know others who (as has been mentioned), like their specific wait staff members, so they have moved to the location where the wait staff is now working. We were only asked if we wanted to change our table location near the end of the first leg; nobody mentioned it near the end of the second (although I will admit to missing some of the last few nights as we went to Giovanni's and Izumi). We'll see if they ask near the end of this one. 

Keeping our table was not that much of a problem when we asked...it was trying to follow our wait team around that was much more difficult.   At the end of first leg was when we found out the team change out.  At least we are set back up again with our favorites...and won't have to worry after LA since we are disembarking and ironically both King and Melissa are leaving in LA as well.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Self tour in Serena (more accurately is called Coquimbo, neighboring cruise town).   Huge vendors market along the waterfront, massive outdoor fresh seafood market towards the end with many outdoor cafes that were well attended. 

20240124_113515.jpg

20240124_113323.jpg

20240124_112904.jpg

20240124_112930.jpg

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Keep

Keeping our table was not that much of a problem when we asked...it was trying to follow our wait team around that was much more difficult.   At the end of first leg was when we found out the team change out.  At least we are set back up again with our favorites...and won't have to worry after LA since we are disembarking and ironically both King and Melissa are leaving in LA as well.  

Yes, that's another good point -- the wait staff aren't all staying on for the entire cruise, either. Our main waiter for Leg 2 ended his contract and left the ship yesterday in Valparaiso. Another person said that their cabin attendant left yesterday and they will have a new one now. 

• Like 4

Very popular tourist attraction are the "pirate boats" that are launched at waterfront market.  These two were having a "sea battle" complete with saber fight.  Too funny!  

Of course they loved cruising up along Serenade for their loud mock battles and advertising.  😉 

20240124_120802.jpg

20240124_122645.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 12

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

Keep

They split up our wonderful waitstaff so we decided to just keep our table.  Definitely wish we could have kept both!  They each came by to visit us last night which was nice!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LadyZolt said:

Yes, that's another good point -- the wait staff aren't all staying on for the entire cruise, either. Our main waiter for Leg 2 ended his contract and left the ship yesterday in Valparaiso. Another person said that their cabin attendant left yesterday and they will have a new one now. 

We are very lucky to have not just our wait team staying on until we leave in LA, but our same cabin attendant is on until LA as well.  Nice timing for us!  🙂 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, island lady said:

Self tour in Serena (more accurately is called Coquimbo, neighboring cruise town).   Huge vendors market along the waterfront, massive outdoor fresh seafood market towards the end with many outdoor cafes that were well attended. 

Great pictures. Lately our kind of excursions. Wander around aimlessly at our own pace. Sometimes Kathy gets nervous when I venture to far off the beaten trail. But the Kodak moments are well worth it.  A lot more relaxing and enjoyable. We always find a nice/unique spot to have a drink before heading back to the ship. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Bob&Carol, Ted&Alice😇

Ok…..so after I told him how much we’re 💰 no for a GS on Wonder next week, and broke it out per day, and did the same with Silverseas…..he said he would like to try that line.  
so can you give me dates and which ship you were looking at? I can’t believe he agreed 😳😁

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, island lady said:

We are very lucky to have not just our wait team staying on until we leave in LA, but our same cabin attendant is on until LA as well.  Nice timing for us!  🙂 

Are you taking them home with you😇

• Haha 3