Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

On 9/1/2024 at 8:17 AM, time4u2go said:

It's actually EDT right now. 

It wasn't when we were there in mid-Aug. And, if you google, it isn't now.  Bermuda is in Atlantic Daylight Time currently.

Edited by BND

13 minutes ago, BND said:

It wasn't when we were there in mid-Aug. And, if you google, it isn't now.  Bermuda is in Atlantic Daylight Time currently.

I was pointing out that this time of year, there is no EST.  It is EDT.

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

My father changed jobs. My parents had to drag me off of the island. I still love going back there.

We’re from LI and loved it there. Our teen summers were spent at the ocean almost every day (explains my screen name) and we also had the LI sound for our Zen….we had great jobs which afforded us the ability to cruise now. We had fabulous food (pizza) local grown veggies, wine country, ok weather (when it wasn’t raining). What’s not to love! TAXES!

NY taxes are insane, they tax everything, so when we retired we left and came to FL. 
We still love it there and after all these years here I still miss it a lot, but we have 2 daughters there that are our reasons to go as often as we can. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Ken at the beach said:

I'll go out on a limb and say that it will be on the first Discovery class ship.

would they chance taking a brand new ship out of rotation even if only for a few months?  Plus how long is it usually between when a ship is announced and maiden voyage?

5 minutes ago, dahirsh said:

would they chance taking a brand new ship out of rotation even if only for a few months?  Plus how long is it usually between when a ship is announced and maiden voyage?

They put a brand new ship doing 3 and 4 day cruises.  I can't see a better way of promoting a brand new class called discovery designed to do ports that other ships can't get to than by sending her on a world cruise.  Plus, having a new ship do yje world cruise will drive demand not only for the full voyage but also the segments. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, dahirsh said:

MB has already hinted at this in recent statements about the UWC. He basically said something like they need a ship with more balconies, but the current ship options don't really work for other reasons, and that it might take a new class. And when you have a new class coming that you've named "Discovery".... 🙂 

Edited by RobInMN
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Ken at the beach said:

They put a brand new ship doing 3 and 4 day cruises.  I can't see a better way of promoting a brand new class called discovery designed to do ports that other ships can't get to than by sending her on a world cruise.  Plus, having a new ship do yje world cruise will drive demand not only for the full voyage but also the segments. 

I should start a UWC cruise fund now!!

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Ken at the beach said:

I'll go out on a limb and say that it will be on the first Discovery class ship.

He indicated it was 2-3 years away

No way Discovery will be done by then

Also said it would likely be 6 months long. Other details may be dependent on a survey we are supposed to get when we get home

• Thanks 6

1 hour ago, CSHS1979 said:

He indicated it was 2-3 years away

No way Discovery will be done by then

Also said it would likely be 6 months long. Other details may be dependent on a survey we are supposed to get when we get home

Even that’s too long for DH. As it is I always have to drag him…..until he gets onboard that is. Next year I twisted his arm to combine 14 on Apex to Norway, 9 nights In London, and then15 on Brilliance back to Boston….. I had hoped he wouldn’t add it all up….but he did, so maybe he will be onboard for. Longer cruise…..

I’m excited to see what they’ll offer on the next UWC, both ship and itinerary.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Even that’s too long for DH. As it is I always have to drag him…..until he gets onboard that is. Next year I twisted his arm to combine 14 on Apex to Norway, 9 nights In London, and then15 on Brilliance back to Boston….. I had hoped he wouldn’t add it all up….but he did, so maybe he will be onboard for. Longer cruise…..

I’m excited to see what they’ll offer on the next UWC, both ship and itinerary.

I'm not sure 15 nights on Brilliance would get me too excited. Your husband and I seem to think alike.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm not sure 15 nights on Brilliance would get me too excited. Your husband and I seem to think alike.

Oddly we both love Radiance class ships and have been on Brilliance many, many times in Europe, this time is because we really like the itinerary. We don’t sail on this class much other than in Europe and occasionally from Tampa port when we just want to get away for a few days.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2024 at 8:15 AM, Ocean Boy said:

We did 20 nights on Jewel last year.  10 nights Bayonne to Quebec City and 10 nights Quebec City to Bayonne.  We also did 14 nights on Jewel out of FL a couple of years ago. While it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, we enjoyed it.  I saw a news travel report last week that said a lot of people are returning to smaller ships, especially experienced cruisers.  Let's face it, the newest, largest ships attract the most first time younger cruisers and they don't know what to do when a ship isn't brand new and an amusement park so they tend to keep booking the newest and largest.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, BND said:

We did 20 nights on Jewel last year.  10 nights Bayonne to Quebec City and 10 nights Quebec City to Bayonne.  We also did 14 nights on Jewel out of FL a couple of years ago. While it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, we enjoyed it.  I saw a news travel report last week that said a lot of people are returning to smaller ships, especially experienced cruisers.  Let's face it, the newest, largest ships attract the most first time younger cruisers and they don't know what to do when a ship isn't brand new and an amusement park so they tend to keep booking the newest and largest.

I agree with you about the newest ships. We sailed Serenade and it was enjoyable but it was also a very port intensive cruise. Though I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, I do enjoy ships with Royal Promenades and Esplanades. To my surprise, Q class is becoming very close to my favorite class to be on. There is enough to do but more relaxing than O class.

• Like 7