A good friend of mine is travelling to Australia with a friend who likes 5 star accommodation

MMDown Under

They are flying into and out of Sydney.

I have never stayed 5 star to my knowledge,  My daughters went for a job interview at a five star hotel at the Canadian ski fields.  They were asked "What makes a five star hotel?"

The younger one said the indentations in the ash trays, whilst the older one said the usual "high level of service" etc  Both got offered the job.  In the end, they were smart and got a job in a gourmet shop where they could take any leftovers home. They had to speak French. 

I don't know why my friend's friend wants to stay 5 star, but what would you recommend for one or two nights before they fly home to New work?

Do we have 5 star in Brisbane and the Gold Coast.  Any recommendations there please? 

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I have never stayed 5 star to my knowledge,  My daughters went for a job interview at a five star hotel at the Canadian ski fields.  They were asked "What makes a five star hotel?"

The younger one said the indentations in the ash trays, whilst the older one said the usual "high level of service" etc  Both got offered the job.  In the end, they were smart and got a job in a gourmet shop where they could take any leftovers home. They had to speak French. 

I don't know why my friend's friend wants to stay 5 star, but what would you recommend for one or two nights before they fly home to New work?

Do we have 5 star in Brisbane and the Gold Coast.  Any recommendations there please? 

According to hotel booking websites, there are just under twenty 5 Star hotels in Brisbane CBD and twenty five along the Gold Coast. I don't have any recommendations, but usually Meriton properties are quite good. On the Gold Coast, we stay in appartments at Broadbeach, but they are not 5 Star.

My suggestion is to ask this question on the Sydney forum on Trip Advisor. There is a member there who works for the hotel industry in Australia and can provide you with the best advice as to location, price, value for money etc, including in Brisbane.

Not all properties are equal and then within the property there is a huge variation depending on room category etc.

On 12/5/2023 at 11:43 AM, MMDown Under said:

On 12/5/2023 at 11:43 AM, MMDown Under said:

I am confused, do you need five star in Sydney or Brisbane & Gold Coast?

If Sydney we have stayed Langham which is excellent and are soon to stay in Fullerton which has good reviews. We stayed in Spicer's in Potts Point last year which was lovely but not right in town. Many restaurants and if reasonably fit not an arduous walk into the city.

I have friends in Brisbane that could help with suggestions for Brisbane & Gold Coast.

Thank you for your responses.  I have received an email from my NY friend to tell me that they are all wrapped up for their visit Down Under in February. They are happy, as they are not last minute decision makers as we are. 

In Auckland they have chosen - Hilton Auckland on the oceanfront (4 star)

In Sydney, they have chosen - Capella Sydney, near Circular Quay.(5 star)

In Brisbane, they are staying with friends, certainly not 4-5 star. 

Meanwhile, my daughter, who has just arrived back from NY, is going to book her NZ trip tomorrow for early 10 th January, then try to connect her booking with mine. Once she has decided on her dates, we'll book our accommodation in Auckland or further afield.  

I will be staying in NZ pre-cruise for two nights, she'll be staying five nights. I know already I'll want to come back to NZ for another longer visit.    

54 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

I am confused, do you need five star in Sydney or Brisbane & Gold Coast?

If Sydney we have stayed Langham which is excellent and are soon to stay in Fullerton which has good reviews. We stayed in Spicer's in Potts Point last year which was lovely but not right in town. Many restaurants and if reasonably fit not an arduous walk into the city.

I have friends in Brisbane that could help with suggestions for Brisbane & Gold Coast.

Thank you for your advice.  Sorry for the confusion.  They were considering 5 star in Sydney, Brisbane and the Gold Coast but were keen to make their bookings.  I'd like to stay in Spicer's in Potts Point one day.  I love the neighbourhood which feels like you are staying in Sydney,  It is a walkers paradise, with so many restaurants and walks to the harbour and the city from which to choose.  We stay at the basic Devere Hotel in Potts Point. 

On 12/5/2023 at 8:19 PM, yarramar said:

My suggestion is to ask this question on the Sydney forum on Trip Advisor. There is a member there who works for the hotel industry in Australia and can provide you with the best advice as to location, price, value for money etc, including in Brisbane.

Not all properties are equal and then within the property there is a huge variation depending on room category etc.

Thank you for your advice.  Good to know if I ever decide on a splurge for a special occasion.

• 2 weeks later...