A silly idea

On Azura at the moment and yesterday night was the second Black Tie night of the cruise. 

Except it wasn’t. 

It was a Black Tie or Christmas Jumper night, so a mixture of people smartly dressed in the Black Tie venues and people wearing jeans and T shirt with a Primark jumper thrown over their shoulders, since as usual it’s a bit too warm to wear a jumper onboard. 

Now having a Christmas Jumper evening is absolutely fine, but combining it with a Black Tie night is just silly. 

• Like 18

On Britannia last week we had a best Christmas jumper or T shirt competition on a casual night, a much better idea IMHO. We did not enter the competion ( clashed with dinner) and most passesngers who spotted us in our T shirts told us they didn't get the email asking passengers to bring them.

However on Brutannia they scheduled the Indian Buffet on a formal night. So like your Christmas jumper night I suspect that this is a way of dumbing down formal nights and gives P&O an excuse to drop down to formals on 2 week cruises.

55 minutes ago, david63 said:

How did passengers know to take a Christmas jumper in the first place.

No idea. I only found out when I saw it in Horizon, but as this is billed as a ‘Christmas cruise’ with lots of onboard Christmas activities then presumably some people travel with a Christmas jumper just in case. 

59 minutes ago, david63 said:

How did passengers know to take a Christmas jumper in the first place. The only time I would expect to see a Christmas jumper is on Christmas Day.

Everyone booked on a cruise from mid November into December received an email of what to expect on their Christmas cruises - pantomimes, christmas music, decorations, food etc... 

My mum and dad sailed on Aurora last week so they did take a Christmas jumper/shirt each just in case. However other than the decorations and a pantomime, nothing else stated on the email happened. 

Edited by CarlaMarie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 9265359 said:

On Azura at the moment and yesterday night was the second Black Tie night of the cruise. 

Except it wasn’t. 

It was a Black Tie or Christmas Jumper night, so a mixture of people smartly dressed in the Black Tie venues and people wearing jeans and T shirt with a Primark jumper thrown over their shoulders, since as usual it’s a bit too warm to wear a jumper onboard. 

Now having a Christmas Jumper evening is absolutely fine, but combining it with a Black Tie night is just silly. 

I would have gone with the Christmas Jumper option, as I no longer have a dinner suit and black tie, I donated mine to the Red Cross Charity Shop after I could no longer get into it. I own 1 suit which is around 10 years old and has not been worn very much, just about fits me. 

12 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I would have gone with the Christmas Jumper option, as I no longer have a dinner suit and black tie,

Given how some of those who were not in Christmas jumpers were dressed yesterday then even that isn’t an issue, as just a jacket with no tie seemed to be acceptable to get you into the MDR. 

The only time I did a "Christmas cruise" was on Oceana about 5 years ago and we were asked to bring Christmas jumpers. I didn't bother as it's always far too warm on the ships to wear a winter jumper. The bright red face is not a good look. Totally agree that it's absurd to combine jumpers with a black tie night.

Edited by Clodia
typo
  • Like 1

I haven't bought a Christmas jumper for years because when I was working we used to have a "Christmas Jumper Day" in the office so I have a selection and drag them out every December. I will wearing one this evening because I am going out with friends to a comedy Christmas Show at a local theatre and know from past experience that most of thd audience will be wearing Christmas jumpers.

I would take one with me on a December cruise but I would definitely not be wearing a Christmas jumper on a formal night.

3 hours ago, CarlaMarie said:

Everyone booked on a cruise from mid November into December received an email of what to expect on their Christmas cruises - pantomimes, christmas music, decorations, food etc... 

My mum and dad sailed on Aurora last week so they did take a Christmas jumper/shirt each just in case. However other than the decorations and a pantomime, nothing else stated on the email happened. 

I didn't 

17 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

It really doesn’t bother me what people wear. I’m always pretty chilled on cruises and just enjoy seeing people having a good time. 

Same here, the whole concept of going on holiday is to enjoy it not be concerned about what everyone else wears. Saying that I do agree that having a Christmas jumper night on formal night does seem a bit odd. 

We now have a dress sense thread and a tipping thread so things must be getting back to normal. Maybe I will go for the hat trick and start a sunbed reserving thread.

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Same here, the whole concept of going on holiday is to enjoy it not be concerned about what everyone else wears. Saying that I do agree that having a Christmas jumper night on formal night does seem a bit odd. 

We now have a dress sense thread and a tipping thread so things must be getting back to normal. Maybe I will go for the hat trick and start a sunbed reserving thread.

You may need to start it as early as possible 🤣

• Haha 2

On 12/6/2023 at 1:47 PM, Ardennais said:

It really doesn’t bother me what people wear. I’m always pretty chilled on cruises and just enjoy seeing people having a good time. 

Agree fully. Other people’s attire is their business and if they are happy in what they are wearing, that’s great.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Camberley said:

Agree fully. Other people’s attire is their business and if they are happy in what they are wearing, that’s great.

So time then to abandon all dress restrictions, formal nights, etc. 

Although having been on an NCL ship in their ‘posh’ French restaurant sat next to people who thought that wearing baseball caps, ‘wife-beater’ vests, and shorts, as ‘smart-casual’ on an evening then I am not sure it is a good idea. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

They’ve obviously responded to passenger feedback and tonight is Christmas Jumper night not second formal tomorrow. 

Good. 

5 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

It will be interesting to see how many adhere to that dress code- not me!

Nor me, but primarily because I wouldn’t dream of bringing a jumper of any sort on a fly-cruise to the Canary Islands.