Problems on the Queen Victoria?

babs135

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

Wouldn't really know because we didn't use either the Lido or Britannia for meals and was not interested in muffins for breakfast 

I understand, plus all to personal taste. We have been in the Grills  a few times also but we still enjoyed the odd Lido breakfast, toast was better, until I found you could ask for thick bread in the Grills, and it was thick.

Anyway, what I mentioned wasn't on topic so back to that.

15 minutes ago, maz48 said:

I understand, plus all to personal taste. We have been in the Grills  a few times also but we still enjoyed the odd Lido breakfast, toast was better, until I found you could ask for thick bread in the Grills, and it was thick.

Anyway, what I mentioned wasn't on topic so back to that.

I once asked for thick toast at breakfast in the QG, and was surprised when our lovely waiter looked less than enthusiastic. That very day we went on the Ship’s Tour, and I discovered just how many flights of stairs the unfortunate waiter had to trek down to get it. I have never asked for it again, though I must say the toast is one of the least good things in QG.

9 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I once asked for thick toast at breakfast in the QG, and was surprised when our lovely waiter looked less than enthusiastic. That very day we went on the Ship’s Tour, and I discovered just how many flights of stairs the unfortunate waiter had to trek down to get it. I have never asked for it again, though I must say the toast is one of the least good things in QG.

It was a couple sitting close to us who mentioned it. I think quite a few other diners were asking for thick toast by the end of the cruise as word got round. Maybe it should have become a menu staple. Yes, the grills toast is pretty poor.

In BC we always shared a portion of toast. We don't buy sliced bread, and nothing that would be classified as refined. It can be handy for cleaning one's plate though if you are not permitted to use more environmentally friendly methods.

We wouldn't really care how thick it was.

11 hours ago, D&N said:

In BC we always shared a portion of toast. We don't buy sliced bread, and nothing that would be classified as refined. It can be handy for cleaning one's plate though if you are not permitted to use more environmentally friendly methods.

Exactly picky if one demands thick toast.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, D&N said:

The  room service [very] lightly toasted toast [always white on holiday as a treat], when spread with brown sauce and having had a slice of brittle bacon in between two [very lightly] toasted bread, makes a great bacon toast sandwich for breakfast.

I have asked for 'proper' toast when in the restaurant, and got it but  then the two slice  toast sandwich has to become a one slice open toast  sandwich.

Win win either way.  😁

• Like 1

17 hours ago, exlondoner said:

We have travelled in all four "classes" on Cunard ships and none of the restaurants has served toast that I could eat. It is always cold and hard - as is the butter.  Perhaps a request for "hot buttered toast" might result in something better. But I gave up on Cunard's toast several voyages ago and settle for a slice of bread or a croissant or muffin.

10 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

We have travelled in all four "classes" on Cunard ships and none of the restaurants has served toast that I could eat. It is always cold and hard - as is the butter.  Perhaps a request for "hot buttered toast" might result in something better. But I gave up on Cunard's toast several voyages ago and settle for a slice of bread or a croissant or muffin.

When dining in the restaurant, I ask for it to be toasted [properly] first then left to cool in a rack on the table and not left to go soggy under napkins. Wait staff soon cotton on.

Cool/cold toast and unsalted butter, brown sauce and brittle bacon.

Heaven.

No wonder Victoria has 'problems' apart from apparently perceived dodgy' ish 'rudders', we all like different ways of eating the same product!  🙂

• Like 2

Never had a problem with toast(mixed) in QG but I don't have a problem with cold toast and butter. Very hard to keep toast warm or cook fresh when you are cooking so many slices and dealing with so many cruiser's. Think some expect the toast to be cooked fresh personally for them.

34 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Never had a problem with toast(mixed) in QG but I don't have a problem with cold toast and butter. Very hard to keep toast warm or cook fresh when you are cooking so many slices and dealing with so many cruiser's. Think some expect the toast to be cooked fresh personally for them.

I too much prefer cold toast and butter, but I would just like the bread to be thicker and have more character. The stuff you usually get for toast is very feeble.

Whichever restaurant we are in on a cruise we always leave the toast until the end so even if served hot would be cold by the time we eat it. We had mixed toast in QG and was good size and thick enough compared to the pathetic postage size biscuits served on P&O Arvia imitating toast in September.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 1:59 PM, Victoria2 said:

When dining in the restaurant, I ask for it to be toasted [properly] first then left to cool in a rack on the table and not left to go soggy under napkins. Wait staff soon cotton on.

Cool/cold toast and unsalted butter, brown sauce and brittle bacon.

Heaven.

No wonder Victoria has 'problems' apart from apparently perceived dodgy' ish 'rudders', we all like different ways of eating the same product!  🙂

Oh yes,the napkins,when we have breakfast in our room the toast is always wrapped in napkins,so it's always soggy 🤢 I'm on a gf diet and my bread is even worse lol 

36 minutes ago, jaypo63 said:

Oh yes,the napkins,when we have breakfast in our room the toast is always wrapped in napkins,so it's always soggy 🤢 I'm on a gf diet and my bread is even worse lol 

I sometimes ask for dark rye bread or pumpernickel.  It keeps its dense texture without the need to be toasted.

No good for a gf diet though.

• 4 weeks later...

We had cabin 8172 on our 11 - 23 December 23 cruise on the Queen Victoria .Pertaining to the ship condition - immediately upon boarding we went up to our deck 8 cabin. We excitedly opened the cabin door and were  met with the most intense stomach turning smell- we opened the cabin door and it was unbearable. My husband and I immediately agreed - this was the worst start to an exciting anticipated first Cunard cruise - this after cruising multiple other cruise lines. As we were about to leave our cabin to immediately go to customer service -we encountered our cabin attendant and he introduced himself. We greeted him and explained we did not want to be rude or offensive but the cabin smell was not tolerable. He entered the cabin with us saying he would and did spray something into the cabin drain.  He left we waited 10 minutes and it did nothing. We then left and went down to the customer service desk where whilst standing in line were approached by an officer in uniform who asked why we were there - we explained -he then wrote something on his note pad and then said to go back to our cabin as house keeping would meet us there in a few minutes. We did this - well waited and waited approx 40 minutes (this with the balcony door open ) as the smell was awful. No one arrived - we decided to leave the cabin and go back to customer service. As we opened the cabin door at the cabin directly across was a uniformed person from housekeeping with an obviously recognizable maintenance person. We immediately asked - were they there for our cabin smell - answer was no they were there for the cabin noises in the opposite cabin which had been complained about - we explained our situation - they both entered and they called the cabin steward who once again sprayed in their presence and told us the smell would go away. It never did - on one sea day we returned to our cabin and a few feet away the maintenance team were on a ladder - with some ceiling tiles removed in the corridor- they said this was to fix the smell. It did not and The only way we could bearable use our bathroom was to first spray my husbands aftershave everywhere , wait a few minutes and then enter leaving the bathroom door open. We told our cabin attendant many times the smell was still extreme and each time he said he would spray again - it did nothing - he/ the ship maintenance obviously knew this was a huge smell problem and nothing was done - we are not in any way faulting our steward - what we’re his option s and our cabin was always clean and he tried. We although enjoying the elegance and “old world cruising style” just donot at this point have a desire to cruise with Cunard and on the Queen Victoria again - after spending 12 nights  with this awful smell -  Is there a communication breakdown within the ship. 

As mentioned the steps we tried are described in my entry above - what can raising the matter with Cunard at this point help - our holiday is over - not with the fondness when looking back as we had hoped on boarding day - hoping  no one else  has this experience - 

5 hours ago, Lindagop said:

As mentioned the steps we tried are described in my entry above - what can raising the matter with Cunard at this point help - our holiday is over - not with the fondness when looking back as we had hoped on boarding day - hoping  no one else  has this experience - 

So you didn’t actually ask to move cabins?

There has been a problem with toilet blockages and sewage smells on QV since we were on in November/December last year. Initially blamed toilet blockages on somebody putting something down the toilet that they shouldn't. This obviously was not the case as number of cabins around the ship having toilet issues and also smells around the ship oin many public areas. Eventually due to moreso toilet issues and noisy cabin we were eventually moved.

We had the same problem with our toilet, there was a delay in the flushing and then it overflowed and a plumber had to come out and then someone appeared with a big vacuum to vacuum up the water that was slopping around our bathroom.

Another issue we had was when the sea was a bit choppy, not stormy just choppy there was a lot of loud banging and clanging going on, and the vibration on the upper level of the Britannia restaurant at the back was quite noticeable.

Same here. We had a problem toilet flush - sometimes flushed sometimes didn’t. It was on the QV 5 nighter Xmas market cruise in Dec 23. We thought it was only an issue for us and just put up with it for the short cruise. We didn’t have any smell issues though.