Windstar in Tahiti--advice needed!

lilli

Hello--we just had to cancel a cruise this month secondary to family illness and now are looking to travel to Tahiti in February or March 2024.  I see there are options for cruise only or some options with airfare and added hotel stays.  I wanted to ask what people's thoughts were regarding booking it as a package through Windstar vs doing separately.  

Also, is 7-8 days is enough? I see the longer cruises as well.  Just wondering if it gets repetitive?  

We are traveling with the goal of relaxing and unwinding post retirement and a long year!

Thank you for any constructive input!

We just got off the Spirit, I believe one of the non-sailing ships will be doing that route then. We definitely used the inclusive package, if you drink at all, it is worth it, drinks are about $10 each, wifi worked fine in our cabin, not so much in restaurants, our flt was rescheduled so didn't get an overnight on landing, only a few hours of sleep. We were on the 10 day, water was rough going & coming from the Tuamotus, but it was worth having more time on the ship after long flts getting to Tahiti. We were there in "rainy season" but most of our days were ok, the week prior had most tours canceled for weather. It was nice to have shuttles from airport to hotel, to ship, back to hotel and airport. Gratuities are $16 pp per day which was included. 

We sailed in Tahiti in late May/early June 2023. We felt that 7 days was adequate for the cruise because we found the islands other than Tahiti and Bora Bora to have so many similarities. We were also glad we had an extra day on each end of the cruise to deal with jet lag, decompress, and pack for the return flight. (Air France flight schedules forced us to make hotel plans that way and we have no regrets.)

You will find other detailed threads here discussing pros/cons of arranging airfare and hotels through Windstar. I prefer to make those arrangements myself because I find cancelations and changes to be easier to handle myself rather than through travel agents and Windstar customer service. I also care much more about my seat assignments than any agent ever will. If I were convinced that Windstar could be the pricing I find on my own, I might reevaluate my attitude, but so far, my arrangements have worked very well for us.

Lastly, I'll share how much we enjoyed opting for the Papeete Tour/Hotel Transfer excursion on the last day. The tour operator was wonderful. We were very happy to kill time that way instead of tapping our toes and waiting for a room to become available. If you have extra cabin credits, this might be a good way to spend them.

PS - We enjoyed having prepaid beverages and gratuities but on Wind Spirit, the wifi was inadequate and we felt we didn't get our money's worth for that part of the all-included package.

Appreciate your input--I also care way too much about seat assignments etc and like to be in control of those aspects!  

May I ask where you stayed on arrival? the intercontinental? 

I was intrigued by doing a few nights on Moorea either at the start or end as well.

Thank you again!

• Like 1

Being from New England a seven day cruise is far too short for going so far. It is a beautiful part of the world to be enjoyed, relaxed and not rushed. We loved the cruise and everything about Tahiti. I think each island is unique with topography, culture, offerings. We cheated we crossed the Pacific on the first cruise back with Windstar Cruises, rather 19 days at sea than 19 hours in a plane, glorious. Coming home was a different story, flying. I would never let anyone but me pick my seats flying. We are mile/point users for going business class on these long flights. We are finicky about seats and most tour companies can not get you the best seats especially going economy. We have often used WS hotels when they offer them as perks and we have found them to be excellent hotels. The  Intercontinental in Papeete was lovely and convenient. Our least favorite island Bora Bora far too touristy. Moorea was quite beautiful. The Lagoon spectacular beauty.  Give yourself a minimum 10 day cruise you will not regret it. Happy Sailing

• Like 2

I have sailed in FP on Windstar several times and once on Paul Gauguin.  Always booked my own flights and hotel.  Have always stayed the first day at the Intercontinental.  It was less expensive to do myself, and I had more control over it.  There is not a lot of choice of airlines flying to PPT.

I found seven days to be enough.  If I stayed extra days, it would not be on Tahiti, but on one of the other islands, probably Moorea.

3 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

I have sailed in FP on Windstar several times and once on Paul Gauguin.  Always booked my own flights and hotel.  Have always stayed the first day at the Intercontinental.  It was less expensive to do myself, and I had more control over it.  There is not a lot of choice of airlines flying to PPT.

I found seven days to be enough.  If I stayed extra days, it would not be on Tahiti, but on one of the other islands, probably Moorea.

I am looking at flights on air Tahiti. any advice on flying with them?  

I think we are going to fly in and spend three days on Moorea and then the 7 night cruise.  

We flew home with them,  Air Tahiti Nui, Papeete to LA,in 2014,  forget LA to BOS. We flew business because I fell into a great point exchange. It was a lovely flight. I say, I have a Phd. in points. For the past 30 years on flights to Europe, S. America and  then the one from Tahiti we have always flown business, on a teachers salary that could never have happened without my Phd.  Comfortable, generous, flight as I recall. We loved Tahiti and the Lagoon. On a recent trip to Italy/ Malta sailing along the Amalfi Coast on the Surf my husband and I talked what is more beautiful. We both agreed the Tahitian Lagoon by just a bit, truly incredible beauty. Happy Sailing. 

• Like 1

We will be on our first Windstar cruise in July. We have been on the Paul Gauguin 8 times.  From the East Coast 7 days is way too short.  We always add on pre and post resort stays. I would choose what resort interests you the most as Windstar does not include all as options.  We like a day or three pre cruise to get over the jet lag.  This time we will have 2 nights at the Hilton precruise and the. 4 at the Hi,ton on Moorea post cruise and finally 2 at the IC on Tahiti after that. The last 2 nights are due to award flight availability. 

Generally the cruise packages are very pricey vs doing it yourself. Making hotel reservations and taking taxis is very easy in Tahiti.  I find tons of differences between each island.  We don’t think it is repetitive. 

• Like 2

Awesome--thanks for all the helpful replies!  and I assume catching ferry to Moorea is straightforward as well?  

Are the taxis cash only?  assume there is an ATM at the airport to get local currency?

We just returned from the 7 day Dreams of Tahiti cruise. We are both 80 and come from New England. We stayed a couple of nights at the Hilton before the Cruise and got a day room at Fare Suisse on the day we got off the boat and before our flight that evening. We felt those worked out well. We did the research ourselves and did our own booking of the cruise  and hotel. We used taxis to get to hotels and port.

We did the drink, gratuity and internet package and felt it was worth it.  We also got some ship board credit which we used in the gift shop.  We used US Dollars to tip three crew members that went above and beyond. We had no extra charges.

We were more than satisfied with Windstar. Once you get there Tahiti is a pretty hard location to screw up!

• Like 1

Regards to cash: They had a change booth just before the exit. A little higher rate but easy. I changed $100 which took care of taxis to the hotel, port and some food and beverages at the shopping center.  I got additional amounts at an ATM in the shopping center. Most out of pocket during the trip were tips for the tour guide and miscellaneous shopping items. Really didn't spend a lot of cash or credit cards. We're not shoppers.

There is an ATM at the airport with a good rate. The staffed currency exchange booth is about 10% less.  Taxis take cash. They will take USD at 1000 Xpf = $10 USD.  The ferry is next to the cruise dock.  An easy 2 minute walk. No reservations are needed. About $30 round trip and they accept credit cards. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@stephenking Welcome to Cruise Critic!  I love your CC name.  Any relation?  😁

Thanks for sharing your cash and taxi experience!  I went to French Polynesia for the first time in 2012 thinking it would be a "Once in a Lifetime" trip.....well, as often happens, I'll be going back for the 4th time in 2025.  It'll be my first time on Windstar though.  Only 412 days before I board Star Breeze!

~Nancy

Aloha. We have been blessed to sail Tahiti and the South Pacific and have also stayed on the islands. The Intercontinental Papeete is a wonderful hotel with magnificent overwater bungalows.  We regularly fly Hawaiian between Honolulu and NYC but have flown Air Tahiti Nui nonstop Papeete to NYC nonstop which they no longer do. That said, I would definitely fly them for the experience if even to LA and then transfer.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/14/2023 at 12:44 PM, lilli said:

Thank you for your thoughts and insight!  Did you use the Windstar package for airfare and hotels?

We are on the Oceania in tahiti next month but my thought goes for Windstar also. We are part of a groupe of 20 people from Montreal, most in their 70's. They all took the flight package from Oceania. The have a very difficult day ahead of them. No chance to change their flight. Flight leave Montreal at 10AM on a Thursday they flies to Toronto (4hrs lay-over), then flies to LAX (3hrs layover) then arrives in PPT at 6AM. They could have opted to do a 2 day pre-cruise flight but the cost was outrageous.

We made our own arrangement and flying 3 days before, staying in papeete in an Airbnb that we know. And we are in our 50's but the deal for the 10-day cruise only price was too good to pass.

• Like 1

Fare Suisse is a nice pension in Papeete.  The owner provides no cost transport from the airport to the pension and then free transport, when you need it, to the ferry or cruise.  It is very simple and clean, but really no amenities.  It is about a 4 minute walk to the waterfront and then another 10 minutes to the market.  It is also about 2 blocks from a large supermarket.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 10:45 PM, Ski Mom 2 said:

Would you be willing to share the AirBnB in Papeete? We are going in January 2025 and are trying to decide where to stay precruise.

Anywhere near the market, even facing the road are mostly good. Lots of traffic but easy walk to everything. Fare Suisse was also very good (and quiet, except for the rosters but you already know about them). I just pick 2 random date in Jan. 2025 and this shows up. Very close the where we were.
image.png.cd337f071c7bad67a5ec8aaf63c512d8.png

• Like 1