Alcohol Questions

bobmacliberty

We are planning our first Oceania cruise (somewhere in the Med/Aegean area) and I have a few alcohol related questions.  Here's what I think I know...

Under Simply More, we get free beer and wine during lunch and dinner at restaurants (or with in room dining).  We can choose from a list that has decent wine selections for most people.  We can pay about $30 per person per day (prices vary) to upgrade to unlimited alcohol, with a max $ limit per drink.  There is a 2 for 1 happy hour before and after dinner.  We can bring up to 6 bottles of wine/liquor onboard.  There is a $25 corkage fee to enjoy that wine in a restaurant.

Do I have that correct?  What is the price limit per drink for the unlimited drinks package?  I assume this covers most typical drinks and that there might be an additional charge for premium liquor...correct?  What are the times and locations of the happy hour?  Is the happy hour every day?  How strict is Oceania about limiting bottles that are brought onboard?  I've read some people here saying that they've bought several bottles of wine in port and have not had a problem bringing them onboard.  Does the corkage fee apply just to the restaurants such that you're allowed to carry a glass of wine from your cabin elsewhere on the ship, or are these bottles to be enjoyed only in your cabin?  Do the 6 bottles really allow for both wine and liquor or is it just wine?

We've been cruising Royal Caribbean where our status gives us 5 free drinks per day each, plus unlimited drinks during happy hour in the Suite Lounge and while eating in the suite restaurant.  We therefore haven't had to worry about paying for alcohol.  We will enjoy several drinks a day...one or two before dinner, one or two with dinner (we should be fine with SM choices), possibly one or two after dinner.  My current thinking therefore would be to bring 4 bottles of wine, a bottle of vodka and a bottle of whisky.  We can enjoy a cocktail (with whatever mixers we can get in the mini-fridge) or glass of wine before dinner or as a nightcap.  We'll pay as you go for any drinks that we buy at a bar.  Does this sound like a good strategy, or are we better off just paying for the unlimited drink package?  If it matters, we'll likely be staying in a PH.

Thanks for any help.  Royal has been great while we've been cruising with our family, but we are really looking forward to the Oceania experience, especially the food, with just the 2 of us.

16 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

We are planning our first Oceania cruise (somewhere in the Med/Aegean area) and I have a few alcohol related questions.  Here's what I think I know...

Under Simply More, we get free beer and wine during lunch and dinner at restaurants (or with in room dining).  We can choose from a list that has decent wine selections for most people.  We can pay about $30 per person per day (prices vary) to upgrade to unlimited alcohol, with a max $ limit per drink.  There is a 2 for 1 happy hour before and after dinner.  We can bring up to 6 bottles of wine/liquor onboard.  There is a $25 corkage fee to enjoy that wine in a restaurant.

Do I have that correct?  What is the price limit per drink for the unlimited drinks package?  I assume this covers most typical drinks and that there might be an additional charge for premium liquor...correct?  What are the times and locations of the happy hour?  Is the happy hour every day?  How strict is Oceania about limiting bottles that are brought onboard?  I've read some people here saying that they've bought several bottles of wine in port and have not had a problem bringing them onboard.  Does the corkage fee apply just to the restaurants such that you're allowed to carry a glass of wine from your cabin elsewhere on the ship, or are these bottles to be enjoyed only in your cabin?  Do the 6 bottles really allow for both wine and liquor or is it just wine?

We've been cruising Royal Caribbean where our status gives us 5 free drinks per day each, plus unlimited drinks during happy hour in the Suite Lounge and while eating in the suite restaurant.  We therefore haven't had to worry about paying for alcohol.  We will enjoy several drinks a day...one or two before dinner, one or two with dinner (we should be fine with SM choices), possibly one or two after dinner.  My current thinking therefore would be to bring 4 bottles of wine, a bottle of vodka and a bottle of whisky.  We can enjoy a cocktail (with whatever mixers we can get in the mini-fridge) or glass of wine before dinner or as a nightcap.  We'll pay as you go for any drinks that we buy at a bar.  Does this sound like a good strategy, or are we better off just paying for the unlimited drink package?  If it matters, we'll likely be staying in a PH.

Thanks for any help.  Royal has been great while we've been cruising with our family, but we are really looking forward to the Oceania experience, especially the food, with just the 2 of us.

Yes you more or less have it.

As far as I’m aware there is no $ limit on the price of drinks included in the prestige package but there are some ‘top shelf’ spirits that aren’t included.

The two happy hours are in Martinis between 5-6pm and in Horizons? around 10.30pm.  I’m sure somebody will correct me if I’m wrong.

I think there is an ‘official’ limit to the amount of wines/spirits that you can bring on board but I don’t think it’s adhered to. We usually bring one or two bottles of spirits on board as we embark. You can choose which mixers you want in your fridge which will be replenished as and when.

In Europe we buy wines to take into dinner and sometimes we are charged $25 corkage, and sometimes not. In Asia and the Nordic countries, on the other hand, alcohol is very expensive so the package upgrade might be better.

Edited by Vallesan
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

... How strict is Oceania about limiting bottles that are brought onboard?  I've read some people here saying that they've bought several bottles of wine in port and have not had a problem bringing them onboard.  ...  Do the 6 bottles really allow for both wine and liquor or is it just wine?

... My current thinking therefore would be to bring 4 bottles of wine, a bottle of vodka and a bottle of whisky. ...

Came off a 20-night B2B cruise in the Adriatic/Aegean/Med on Riviera last month.

I brought beer, hard liquor and wine on board at embarkation in Trieste. I then bought beer, hard liquor and wine pretty much at every port stop where I could find a decent local grocery store. We had to change cabins at mid-point. Moving all my alcohol from one room to the other involved about 6 bottles of hard liquor (bringing some of it back unopened), 8 500 ML cans of beer, and 4 bottles of wine (2 were given to use by a couple that couldn't drink them before the cruise ended). I learned to love the brandy I bought in Kotor, Crete and Barcelona. And stocked up on inexpensive Montenegrin beer in Kotor, too. Found a delicious E1.49 bottle of Italian red wine in Naples, the least expensive bottle I found. Just to prove a point that even the least expensive Italian wine was drinkable!

I did the same off Sirena 11/2022 and Riviera 12/2021. I always only bring my own beer, hard liquor and wine on board. At embarkation and during the cruise.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Does the corkage fee apply just to the restaurants such that you're allowed to carry a glass of wine from your cabin elsewhere on the ship, or are these bottles to be enjoyed only in your cabin?  Do the 6 bottles really allow for both wine and liquor or is it just wine?

The rules state that any wine or spirits brought onboard should be consumed in your stateroom and not carried by the glass to any public place on the ship.  Both wine and liquor can be taken onboard. 

Do some people violate the rules?  Yes, but flaunting the them puts Oceania's liberal rules for bring wine and spirits onboard in jeopardy for everyone.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Speaking as an O regular (O Club Platinum):

The wine-by-the-glass list is mostly mediocre items that retail at home for $10-15 USD.

The six bottle limit on personal embark wine is a CYA statement that is NEVER enforced. (We regularly bring a case depending on embark port and replenish stock at appropriate ports along the way.)

The only limit on Prestige Package spirits is topmost shelf booze (e.g., Single Malts and best Cognacs). 

Twice daily Happy Hour twofers are, at least, in Martini’s and Horizons bars.

The $25 corkage is for ANY personal wine that leaves your cabin (even if you pour a glass for walking around, there is the $25 fee for the bottle from which it came). Please don’t join the handful of cheapskates who try to game the system. (There are occasional reminders about this in Currents - the fee is for ANY wine that leaves your cabin). 

Personal spirits remain in the cabin and O will supply mixers at no cost.

FWIW: We stopped buying the booze packages many O cruises ago. 
No enforced limit on personal alcohol brought aboard coupled with Happy Hours, accommodating bartenders (we’ve known for years), multiple Captain and O Club events (on multi-segments), select large M&Gs (where the TA of a Group cruise or GM may pick up the tab), O Platinum SBC (and TA SBC/rebate, and invited officer dinners easily take care of our needs at far less cost than the packages. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

...How strict is Oceania about limiting bottles that are brought onboard?  I've read some people here saying that they've bought several bottles of wine in port and have not had a problem bringing them onboard.  Does the corkage fee apply just to the restaurants such that you're allowed to carry a glass of wine from your cabin elsewhere on the ship, or are these bottles to be enjoyed only in your cabin? ...

The bottles that are brought aboard for your enjoyment IN your cabin or suite at no charge are just that:  IN your cabin or suite...  The corkage fee is when you bring a bottle of wine to a restaurant.  (They will store a partial bottle that you can call for later, at any restaurant if you don't finish it.)

PLEASE do not carry your own wine around the ship.

Oceania has a *very* generous policy* about bringing one's own alcoholic beverages on board as described above.  Abusing that privilege could lead to a change in the policy for everyone.

Thanks! 🙂 

*  The "official" policy is something like 6 bottles, but that is rarely enforced (if ever??).

Let's keep it that way!

GC

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

The bottles that are brought aboard for your enjoyment IN your cabin or suite at no charge are just that:  IN your cabin or suite...  The corkage fee is when you bring a bottle of wine to a restaurant.  (They will store a partial bottle that you can call for later, at any restaurant if you don't finish it.)

PLEASE do not carry your own wine around the ship.

Oceania has a *very* generous policy* about bringing one's own alcoholic beverages on board as described above.  Abusing that privilege could lead to a change in the policy for everyone.

Thanks! 🙂 

*  The "official" policy is something like 6 bottles, but that is rarely enforced (if ever??).

Let's keep it that way!

GC

I agree. Oceania’s alcohol policy is really generous. Please don’t abuse it!

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but my question is along the same lines...  I am a Princess cruiser taking my first Oceania cruise in June.  

Are there mini-bars in the cabins?  I'll be in a PH1 suite.  And, if so, are they pre-stocked (for free)?  How many mini-bottles and what are they?  Is there a fridge and, if so, what is in it?  On Princess, they have both a fridge and a mini--bar with about a dozen small bottles of booze.  Beer is in the fridge (along with sodas, mixers).  You can swap them out if you want (in various combinations).  Just wondering if Oceania has something similar.

Thanks in advance...

12 minutes ago, kstrittm said:

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but my question is along the same lines...  I am a Princess cruiser taking my first Oceania cruise in June.  

Are there mini-bars in the cabins?  I'll be in a PH1 suite.  And, if so, are they pre-stocked (for free)?  How many mini-bottles and what are they?  Is there a fridge and, if so, what is in it?  On Princess, they have both a fridge and a mini--bar with about a dozen small bottles of booze.  Beer is in the fridge (along with sodas, mixers).  You can swap them out if you want (in various combinations).  Just wondering if Oceania has something similar.

Thanks in advance...

Only soft drinks.

The Oceania, Vista and Owners Suites are stocked with 6 full sized bottles of the liquor of your choice.

31 minutes ago, kstrittm said:

Thanks in advance...

That is the set up for Elite loyalty members no matter what level cabin you occupy.  That is not an amenity for everyone unless you are in a top suite (not a mini suite) on Princess.

Elite Membership Benefits

Enjoy a complimentary mini-bar set up 

8 minutes ago, basor said:

That is the set up for Elite loyalty members no matter what level cabin you occupy.  That is not an amenity for everyone unless you are in a top suite (not a mini suite) on Princess.

Elite Membership Benefits

Enjoy a complimentary mini-bar set up 

Not really relevant...  my question is about Oceania suites.  But, FWIW, I am Elite and am a full suite passenger on Princess.

40 minutes ago, kstrittm said:

Not really relevant...  my question is about Oceania suites.  But, FWIW, I am Elite and am a full suite passenger on Princess.

That was why I mentioned that the amenities you received on Princess were not the norm and it is the same on Oceania, if you are in a full suite or high level loyalty member you receive the same upgraded perks.  And since you are Elite on Princess and a full suite passenger you received those amenities and will when you have the same on O you will too...

1 hour ago, basor said:

That was why I mentioned that the amenities you received on Princess were not the norm and it is the same on Oceania, if you are in a full suite or high level loyalty member you receive the same upgraded perks.  And since you are Elite on Princess and a full suite passenger you received those amenities and will when you have the same on O you will too...

Is a PH suite considered a full suite on Oceania?  Are you saying I will have a minibar with booze in that level suite on Oceania?  Another person replied that only sodas are provided; no alcohol.  Thanks - sorry for the confusion.

1 minute ago, kstrittm said:

Is a PH suite considered a full suite on Oceania?  Are you saying I will have a minibar with booze in that level suite on Oceania?  Another person replied that only sodas are provided; no alcohol.  Thanks - sorry for the confusion.

Only the three larger than PH suite categories (Oceania, Vista, Owners) have a stocked custom selected bar.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Only the three larger than PH suite categories (Oceania, Vista, Owners) have a stocked custom selected bar.

3 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Thank you!  So, I guess I’ll need to bring some stash on board with me.  Or purchase a beverage package…

@bobmacliberty You might find the menus useful on the Preisman blog: https://www.thepreismans.com/vista23_menus.htm

The wines can change depending on availability, and other items may not be available if stock runs out, but this gives you an idea of the types of things that are typically available.

The Main Bar Menu is completely available with the full package, the wines and beers by the glass are the SM drinks included with lunch/dinner. The regular dining venues (GDR, Terrace, Waves) have essentially the same by-the-glass selections (or smaller selection). At specialty restaurants, ask if a wine/beer is part of the SM package even if something is offered by-the-glass.

We don't usually drink at meals, but enjoy the pre-dinner happy hour almost daily, the exception being the Captains party and the O-Club party nights when there are free drinks before dinner. The late night happy hour is usually after the show (~10:30 but can vary).

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AMHuntFerry said:

@bobmacliberty You might find the menus useful on the Preisman blog: https://www.thepreismans.com/vista23_menus.htm

The wines can change depending on availability, and other items may not be available if stock runs out, but this gives you an idea of the types of things that are typically available.

The Main Bar Menu is completely available with the full package, the wines and beers by the glass are the SM drinks included with lunch/dinner. The regular dining venues (GDR, Terrace, Waves) have essentially the same by-the-glass selections (or smaller selection). At specialty restaurants, ask if a wine/beer is part of the SM package even if something is offered by-the-glass.

We don't usually drink at meals, but enjoy the pre-dinner happy hour almost daily, the exception being the Captains party and the O-Club party nights when there are free drinks before dinner. The late night happy hour is usually after the show (~10:30 but can vary).

Thanks!  Very helpful.

2 hours ago, kstrittm said:

The PH is really a fairly small suite when you add the balcony. 440 Sq. ft. is pretty small as suites go.You also only have the "stocked bar" in the 3 larger suites. The only real amenity you have is more room(subjective) & butler service. Otherwise it's really closer to a Concierge cabin in amenities.

Edited by rbtan
additions

32 minutes ago, rbtan said:

The PH is really a fairly small suite when you add the balcony. 440 Sq. ft. is pretty small as suites go.You also only have the "stocked bar" in the 3 larger suites. The only real amenity you have is more room(subjective) & butler service. Otherwise it's really closer to a Concierge cabin in amenities.

I guess it is similar to a mini-suite on Princess.  Lesson learned for next time…

1 hour ago, Europe and beyond said:

Are there wine glasses in the room to use if drinking your own wine? Are there bottle openers? 

You can request your cabin have any kind of specific drink/wine glasses you wish and they will be replaced daily.  They also have wine openers in each room.

We always stay in one of the top suites; on our next cruise, we will be in an Oceania Suite that includes the 6 bottles of wine/liquor plus beer in the fridge.  Is it OK to take glasses of wine from our suite to dinner with us?  If so, how would someone know this is wine that came with the suite versus our personal wine we brought aboard with us?

In the past, we have always consumed it in the suite, but maybe that is not necessary.  And it is certainly wonderful to have it supplied as part of the suite instead of having to carry it aboard...but of course we are paying a lot of money for this convenience since these suites are not cheap.

11 minutes ago, kstrittm said:

I guess it is similar to a mini-suite on Princess.  Lesson learned for next time…

We have stayed in both a mini-suite on Princess and a PH on Oceania and there is a big difference between the rooms.....PH is much larger, much nicer bathrooms, much nicer sitting area and it comes with a butler who will take care of your wishes/needs.  This includes but not limited to having the butler serve/deliver meals from any restaurant (including the specialty restaurants) for any meal.  They also bring afternoon canapé and will have your choice of drink ready for you to enjoy (including from your personal stock of wine or liquor).   There is a HUGE difference....mini suite 299 sq ft (including 44 sq ft balcony), PH -440 sq ft (including 60 sq ft balcony).  You also have 3 bags of complimentary laundry, Unlimited access to Aquamar Spa Terrace, welcome bottle of champagne, use of the executive lounge (on larger ships).  All of this comes with the penthouse suite and does not depend upon loyalty level.  I suggest you go check out a few YouTubes to see the difference.  You will not be disappointed,

• Thanks 1