Alcohol Questions

bobmacliberty

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Yet, we had a prolific poster here that is no longer with us that insisted that the wine or alcohol provided in the 6 bottle set up for the upper suites wasn't supposed to leave your room. I don't agree with that. 

Other than taking an unopened O wine bottle to dinner (which we often do w/no corkage charge), requiring glasses of that wine and O provided spirits to be kept in the cabin would certainly do away with any perceived gray area.

• 5 weeks later...

This might not be the right place for this post but I’m new to the Oceania brand. I spoke with one of the sales reps on Monday January 15 and she told me that there were no more happy hours or captain’s receptions. I ask why these events have stopped and her reply was it was a senior management decision. Can someone verify that Oceania has stopped the happy hours the captains welcome party and receptions.

15 minutes ago, Windjammer24 said:

This might not be the right place for this post but I’m new to the Oceania brand. I spoke with one of the sales reps on Monday January 15 and she told me that there were no more happy hours or captain’s receptions. I ask why these events have stopped and her reply was it was a senior management decision. Can someone verify that Oceania has stopped the happy hours the captains welcome party and receptions.

I am afraid the rep was not well informed unless this change just happened this week.  There definitely are happy hours every day, a Captains Welcome party, when there were 2 hours of free drinks at most bars and the first timers and loyalty receptions.  As a newbie you would be invited to the Captains Welcome party and the first timers reception.  We just cruised a while ago and have friends currently sailing on 2 different Oceania ships.

Just now, Windjammer24 said:

Captains Party and Happy Hours were last night on the Insignia ATW cruise…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Windjammer24 said:

Ridiculous. You just happened upon a less than seasoned phone rep. 
While it’s true that the events were curtailed during the earlier highly restrictive Covid reactions, they’ve been back since soon after the industry restart. In fact, O has added a separate welcome party for first time O cruisers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Ridiculous. You just happened upon a less than seasoned phone rep. 
While it’s true that the events were curtailed during the earlier highly restrictive Covid reactions, they’ve been back since soon after the industry restart. In fact, O has added a separate welcome party for first time O cruisers.

It is unfathomable that a person working for Oceania would just say something like that without checking.  Makes me wonder if Oceania does any serious vetting on their new hires and if they actually do any decent job on training their employees.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Psoque said:

It is unfathomable that a person working for Oceania would just say something like that without checking.  Makes me wonder if Oceania does any serious vetting on their new hires and if they actually do any decent job on training their employees.

I know for a fact that new hires on the phone rep staff get training. But, like with any customer service operation, not all reps are created equal. 
Though we mostly book onboard and then transfer to a well respected Connoisseurs Club “elite” (O top twenty) TA, we still maintain a good working relationship with a long serving O phone rep who knows O inside out and can often get initial issues (particularly the glitchy web cart for tours) quickly fixed. We use our preferred TA for perks and save it for O FUBARS.

20 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I know for a fact that new hires on the phone rep staff get training. But, like with any customer service operation, not all reps are created equal. 
Though we mostly book onboard and then transfer to a well respected Connoisseurs Club “elite” (O top twenty) TA, we still maintain a good working relationship with a long serving O phone rep who knows O inside out and can often get initial issues (particularly the glitchy web cart for tours) quickly fixed. We use our preferred TA for perks and save it for O FUBARS.

I know that we cannot recommend specific TAs on CC; however, can anyone tell me where this list of top 20 is located?

29 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

... can anyone tell me where this list of top 20 is located?

10 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

There is no list. Look for this logo and ask O regulars onboard. 

028FB36A-2914-4CE7-85E3-3F1D0901926D.jpeg

Just make sure to ask your TA if they'll redo your booking if there is a huge sale! Your TA cannot make the price up. O sets the sales. Some commentators have mentioned that their TA either wouldn't do this or chaffed badly at doing it when a big O sale seriously reduced prices.

I think back to the ESS of early 2023, when our 10-nights on Riviera were RE-booked thru our usual O sales rep at $1749 PP/PD B3 cabin and $1899 PP/PD A3 cabin. This really was close to that claimed "2 for 1 cruising".

If you aren't using O sales to move to better cabins at cheaper prices.... Sometimes I've done that 3 times for just one cruise.

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

Just make sure to ask your TA if they'll redo your booking if there is a huge sale! Your TA cannot make the price up. O sets the sales. Some commentators have mentioned that their TA either wouldn't do this or chaffed badly at doing it when a big O sale seriously reduced prices.

I think back to the ESS of early 2023, when our 10-nights on Riviera were RE-booked thru our usual O sales rep at $1749 PP/PD B3 cabin and $1899 PP/PD A3 cabin. This really was close to that claimed "2 for 1 cruising".

If you aren't using O sales to move to better cabins at cheaper prices.... Sometimes I've done that 3 times for just one cruise.

Although the TA I chose said they are part of this group I do not see this logo on their website.

2 hours ago, SATaxman said:

Although the TA I chose said they are part of this group I do not see this logo on their website.

Being a member of the Connoisseurs Club is not the same as being part of its Elite segment (top 20).

As for “are they really in the CC?” It would be stated on the Oceania invoice. And one would assume the’re not lying if they put the CC banner in their ads.

Last time we cruised on O, we didn’t buy the drinks package. After several all inclusive cruises we really are spoiled and will probably upgrade to the Premium pkg. When looking at bar and restaurant menus, how do I know what is topshelf and not included? 

3 hours ago, PrivateIdaho said:

Last time we cruised on O, we didn’t buy the drinks package. After several all inclusive cruises we really are spoiled and will probably upgrade to the Premium pkg. When looking at bar and restaurant menus, how do I know what is topshelf and not included? 

It's pretty straightforward in most venues (the specialty restaurants can get tricky since things like sake by the glass are not included). For example, in Horizons there is a "Bar Menu"...gold hardcover book; everything in it is included. The same goes for the Waves Bar Menu, etc. Some bars also have some luxury selections (e.g., higher end whisky) on a separate menu. Google the Preisman blog and you'll find the bar menus from a recent Vista cruise. There are also sample menus on the O site.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Some bars also have some luxury selections (e.g., higher end whisky) on a separate menu. Google the Preisman blog and you'll find the bar menus from a recent Vista cruise. There are also sample menus on the O site.

Hi, thanks for the tip--I saw the Preisman's website with all the menus, etc.  VERY helpful!

Referencing that page, there are two pages with selections such as Scotch & Whiskey, Cognac, and Louis XIII starting at $25 going all the way up to $360.  Would anyone happen to know what the price cap is on any given libation is if one has the Prestige package?  

(Yes, my husband and I are Oceania newbies!  Will be on the Vista 11-21 May. 😀)

2 hours ago, sparkopotamus said:

Hi, thanks for the tip--I saw the Preisman's website with all the menus, etc.  VERY helpful!

Referencing that page, there are two pages with selections such as Scotch & Whiskey, Cognac, and Louis XIII starting at $25 going all the way up to $360.  Would anyone happen to know what the price cap is on any given libation is if one has the Prestige package?  

(Yes, my husband and I are Oceania newbies!  Will be on the Vista 11-21 May. 😀)

I know it’s hard to understand because other cruise lines operate this way but there is no cap. The rule is that if it’s on the “Bar Menu” then it’s on the Prestige Package. There might be a $19 drink 🍹 on the package yet there might be another one that is $16 that’s not. Also unlike other lines there is no “paying the difference”. If it’s not on the package it’s full price. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ORV said:

I know it’s hard to understand because other cruise lines operate this way but there is no cap. The rule is that if it’s on the “Bar Menu” then it’s on the Prestige Package. There might be a $19 drink 🍹 on the package yet there might be another one that is $16 that’s not. Also unlike other lines there is no “paying the difference”. If it’s not on the package it’s full price. 

Thanks!  My husband and the couple traveling with us will have fun figuring it out. LOL 
For my part, I’m grateful they offer decent non-alcoholic options (beer, wine, and liquors). Cheers!! 🥃🍸🍷🥂

21 hours ago, PrivateIdaho said:

Thanks for the info. A fellow Idahoan!

"Idaho dreamer" = brought here unwillingly at the age of 10. Left in 1993 for 20 years and came groveling back to the land of nice, kind people 😉

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 1:09 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Speaking as an O regular (O Club Platinum):

The wine-by-the-glass list is mostly mediocre items that retail at home for $10-15 USD.

The six bottle limit on personal embark wine is a CYA statement that is NEVER enforced. (We regularly bring a case depending on embark port and replenish stock at appropriate ports along the way.)

The only limit on Prestige Package spirits is topmost shelf booze (e.g., Single Malts and best Cognacs). 

Twice daily Happy Hour twofers are, at least, in Martini’s and Horizons bars.

The $25 corkage is for ANY personal wine that leaves your cabin (even if you pour a glass for walking around, there is the $25 fee for the bottle from which it came). Please don’t join the handful of cheapskates who try to game the system. (There are occasional reminders about this in Currents - the fee is for ANY wine that leaves your cabin). 

Personal spirits remain in the cabin and O will supply mixers at no cost.

FWIW: We stopped buying the booze packages many O cruises ago. 
No enforced limit on personal alcohol brought aboard coupled with Happy Hours, accommodating bartenders (we’ve known for years), multiple Captain and O Club events (on multi-segments), select large M&Gs (where the TA of a Group cruise or GM may pick up the tab), O Platinum SBC (and TA SBC/rebate, and invited officer dinners easily take care of our needs at far less cost than the packages. 

Flatbush Flyer......we also bring a case of wine onboard with us. Works out great. This is our first O cruise with Simply More....how are the wines that O offers? Is there a list online?  Do you think we should stop bringing wines?  We are planning a 27 day cruise.  I always value your opinions. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

Flatbush Flyer......we also bring a case of wine onboard with us. Works out great. This is our first O cruise with Simply More....how are the wines that O offers? Is there a list online?  Do you think we should stop bringing wines?  We are planning a 27 day cruise.  I always value your opinions. 

The wine-by-the-glass list (which is both O Life and Simply More) is the same for the basic package and for the upgraded Prestige package and it has always been mostly mediocre stuff with an average U.S. retail price of $10-$15 +\-.

We will continue to bring our own - perhaps a bit less if O “ups it’s offerings quality.”

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The wine-by-the-glass list (which is both O Life and Simply More) is the same for the basic package and for the upgraded Prestige package and it has always been mostly mediocre stuff with an average U.S. retail price of $10-$15 +\-.

We will continue to bring our own - perhaps a bit less if O “ups it’s offerings quality.”

Thanks....yes that's what hubby wants to do.

There is a new to me California Red blend on the by the glass menu that is pretty decent. Keep in mind I’m an amateur and have no real wine knowledge, I only know what I like. So, I wouldn’t really take wine advice from me. It’s similar to the Conundrum Red to my taste buds. I believe it’s by Field. 

10 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

Thanks....yes that's what hubby wants to do.

As far as I can tell, the first page of this attachment is the wines by the glass menu which is for Simply More and all other by the glass options...without some kind of upgrade. Works just fine for us but I understand that we're not oenophiles.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2023-01/Oceania-Wine-list.pdf