Alcohol Questions

bobmacliberty

8 minutes ago, Torquer said:

.  Is it OK to take glasses of wine from our suite to dinner with us? 

If it's not wine you brought onboard, yes.

"If so, how would someone know this is wine that came with the suite versus our personal wine we brought aboard with us."

The wine glasses in the stateroom are diffrrent from the wine glaases in the dining venue, but knowing whether it's O wine or your stash, would be difficult, if challenged. 

13 minutes ago, basor said:

We have stayed in both a mini-suite on Princess and a PH on Oceania and there is a big difference between the rooms.....PH is much larger, much nicer bathrooms, much nicer sitting area and it comes with a butler who will take care of your wishes/needs.  This includes but not limited to having the butler serve/deliver meals from any restaurant (including the specialty restaurants) for any meal.  They also bring afternoon canapé and will have your choice of drink ready for you to enjoy (including from your personal stock of wine or liquor).   There is a HUGE difference....mini suite 299 sq ft (including 44 sq ft balcony), PH -440 sq ft (including 60 sq ft balcony).  You also have 3 bags of complimentary laundry, Unlimited access to Aquamar Spa Terrace, welcome bottle of champagne, use of the executive lounge (on larger ships).  All of this comes with the penthouse suite and does not depend upon loyalty level.  I suggest you go check out a few YouTubes to see the difference.  You will not be disappointed,

Thanks for clarifying…. I’m sure I’ll enjoy it.  

To clarify a couple of comments here about the size of the PH, it varies depending on the ship.  On the smaller O ships (R class), the size of the PH is 322 sq ft.  Only on O's larger ships are they 440 sq ft.   PH on the smaller ships is still very comfortable even though they are not quite as big.  Also, R Ship's upper suites are only Owner's and Vista Suites (no Oceania Suite).

@bobmacliberty  Welcome to Oceania. You do not have to be concerned about them confiscating alcohol bought in port like they do on Royal.  We've been on Royal and we've had it taken from us when we return from port and then returned the night before disembarkation.  It's annoying but it was something we only wanted to bring home with us. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

The wine glasses in the stateroom are diffrrent from the wine glaases in the dining venue, but knowing whether it's O wine or your stash, would be difficult, if challenged. 

Maybe. I once placed them side by side and could not tell the difference. They were the same. I suppose it depends on the cruise and the ship.

Regardless of the glass, it's definitely prohibited to take personal alcohol out of the stateroom and one may be challenged on it as you said.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

To clarify a couple of comments here about the size of the PH, it varies depending on the ship.  On the smaller O ships (R class), the size of the PH is 322 sq ft.  Only on O's larger ships are they 440 sq ft.   PH on the smaller ships is still very comfortable even though they are not quite as big.  Also, R Ship's upper suites are only Owner's and Vista Suites (no Oceania Suite).

The cabin sizes you quote include the veranda.  If you want to compare "living space,"  the PH on an O ship is 350 sq ft; on an R ship, it's 260 sq ft  (sizes from CruiseMapper).  We find that the design of the R ship PHs is significantly better than for the O ships and the R ships feel roomier than one would expect from the raw square footage and quite comfortable, too.

2 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

If it's not wine you brought onboard, yes.

"If so, how would someone know this is wine that came with the suite versus our personal wine we brought aboard with us."

It always amazes me to see someone who is clearly abusing the system by carrying around their glass of wine and not paying the corkage fee for the personal bottle from which it came.

It’s dishonest, “low rent” and threatening O’s generosity (I.e., unlimited personal booze for in-cabin consumption). $25/bottle is “chump change” in the bigger O fare picture. Those folks should show a some class and pay what they owe.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It always amazes me to see someone who is clearly abusing the system by carrying around their glass of wine and not paying the corkage fee for the personal bottle from which it came.

It’s dishonest, “low rent” and threatening O’s generosity (I.e., unlimited personal booze for in-cabin consumption). $25/bottle is “chump change” in the bigger O fare picture. Those folks should show a some class and pay what they owe.

The reply from @1985rz1 was to my question.  To recap, we are staying in a top suite that includes 6 bottles of wine/liquor, and I asked if it is OK to take glasses of that wine to dinner.  Obviously, there is no corkage fee since O provided the wine to us, and I never read anything that says this wine must be consumed while in our room.  So I think it is technically OK to do this, but will we get dirty looks from people who think we are gaming the system by walking around with wine glasses that they think it is our personal wine we brought aboard the ship?  If a crew member questions us, I guess we just shown them the color of our room card that shows we are staying in a suite, but it is kind of awkward.  Previously, we just consumed this alcohol in our room, but what do other suite-passengers do?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, GrammieK said:

Why carry the wine yourself?  Ask the butler to send the bottle to the restaurant you are dining in. It will be waiting for you there and if any is left, it can be properly stored or returned to your suite. 
k🛳🎄

I agree!

We have a bottle of wine as a perk and we always take to the restaurant during the day and they serve it to us with dinner. No corkage on Oceania provided wives so no need to carry a glass.

Edited by Vallesan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Yes, we all know that O's personal wine policiy largely depends on the honor system, and some folks are less honorable than others.  But in this case @Torquer was asking about taking a glass of O provided suite wine to dinner.  In that case, it would seem to be OK, but it might look like he was taking a glass from his own stash which was his concern.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GrammieK said:

Why carry the wine yourself?  Ask the butler to send the bottle to the restaurant you are dining in. It will be waiting for you there and if any is left, it can be properly stored or returned to your suite. 
k🛳🎄

Maybe some folks would like to stroll the decks with an allowed glass of wine while watching sunset before going to the restaurant.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

Yes, we all know that O's personal wine policiy largely depends on the honor system, and some folks are less honorable than others.  But in this case @Torquer was asking about taking a glass of O provided suite wine to dinner.  In that case, it would seem to be OK, but it might look like he was taking a glass from his own stash which was his concern.

Easy enough to handle: give the O gift bottle to a wine steward (or a butler) who will mark the cabin number, serve it, store it (correctly) and retrieve it as needed (with no charge).

Though things may have changed since Covid restrictions/policies/procedures, cabin glassware is/was different than what is found in public bar and dining venues. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Torquer said:

We always stay in one of the top suites; on our next cruise, we will be in an Oceania Suite that includes the 6 bottles of wine/liquor plus beer in the fridge.  Is it OK to take glasses of wine from our suite to dinner with us?  If so, how would someone know this is wine that came with the suite versus our personal wine we brought aboard with us?

In the past, we have always consumed it in the suite, but maybe that is not necessary.  And it is certainly wonderful to have it supplied as part of the suite instead of having to carry it aboard...but of course we are paying a lot of money for this convenience since these suites are not cheap.

It's a grey area and gets various opinions when discussed here before. My personal take is that you are paying for it in the suite fare and you are not abusing the system. I personally don't really care what others think and if they are examining your drinkware to that extent then perhaps they should mind their own business and go have a little fun. I like GrammieK's answer the best.

Whether or not the drinkware from the cabin is different seems to be one of those urban myths things around here. Maybe they are, maybe they're not. But if a person really was intent on bringing drinks from their room there are plenty of ways to get around it. For personal alcohol brought onboard it's really on the honor system. Each person has to make their own decisions on how honorable they are. 

One point to the OP, you asked about the limit. There is no limit but there are a lot of drinks that are not included in the Prestige package. Here is the way it works, if it's on the Bar Menu or can be made from alcohol on the Bar Menu then it's on the package. Now, if you purchase something that is not included it's not like Celebrity, Royal or other lines that charge the difference. You will be charged the full amount. Examples are some Single Malts in Polo, Horizons or other bars, a special beer brought in locally, Sake in Red Ginger, just to throw a few out there. If in doubt always ask before ordering, the bartenders and servers generally know what is and isn't covered. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ORV said:

One point to the OP, you asked about the limit. There is no limit but there are a lot of drinks that are not included in the Prestige package. Here is the way it works, if it's on the Bar Menu or can be made from alcohol on the Bar Menu then it's on the package. Now, if you purchase something that is not included it's not like Celebrity, Royal or other lines that charge the difference. You will be charged the full amount. Examples are some Single Malts in Polo, Horizons or other bars, a special beer brought in locally, Sake in Red Ginger, just to throw a few out there. If in doubt always ask before ordering, the bartenders and servers generally know what is and isn't covered. 

This is good to know. After reading replies here, my strategy is to bring bottles onboard to enjoy in our cabin, use the standard SM offerings during meals, and pay as we go elsewhere (taking advantage of HH deals). It will be a very port heavy itinerary and I imagine that we’ll be sleeping earlier and drinking less than normal. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

This is good to know. After reading replies here, my strategy is to bring bottles onboard to enjoy in our cabin, use the standard SM offerings during meals, and pay as we go elsewhere (taking advantage of HH deals). It will be a very port heavy itinerary and I imagine that we’ll be sleeping earlier and drinking less than normal. 

That's a really good plan, and one I follow often. Don't forget that the second night is usually Captain's Welcome Party and there are open bars in 2 or 3 locations for 3 hours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

That's a really good plan, and one I follow often. Don't forget that the second night is usually Captain's Welcome Party and there are open bars in 2 or 3 locations for 3 hours. 

That’s right, so if I’m planning on purchasing/upgrading a drinks plan, I wait until day 3. Embarkation day is shortened but you’re charged the full amount, second day is often captain’s party with open bars, so day 3 I mosey along to purchase or upgrade my drinks plan.

Here’s another difference between Celebrity and O: when there is an open bar, you actually can get a drink. It was always so aggravating on celebrity. The bartenders were completely rushed off their feet and bar service was abysmal. 

• Like 1

There is no “gray area” regarding O’s personal wine policy. From the O ZenDesk FAQs:

Guests are welcome to enjoy their wine in the comfort and privacy of their stateroom or suite, or, if they prefer, may enjoy their wine in one of the ship’s dining rooms. Any wine consumed in the dining room or a public area will be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00 per bottle.

The keg words in the O rule are “their” and “any.” O’s gifted wine is O’s wine and not subject to corkage fees. “Their” wine (and the word “any” refers to your personal wine.

Not rocket science.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Hmmm…What kind of wives does O provide?  Is there a menu from which one can choose?  Asking for a friend. 😁

Additionally, if O allows one to swap out provided wines for one you like better, does that extend to those wives? Asking for Bob’s friend! 🤔

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

There is no “gray area” regarding O’s personal wine policy. From the O ZenDesk FAQs:

Guests are welcome to enjoy their wine in the comfort and privacy of their stateroom or suite, or, if they prefer, may enjoy their wine in one of the ship’s dining rooms. Any wine consumed in the dining room or a public area will be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00 per bottle.

The keg words in the O rule are “their” and “any.” O’s gifted wine is O’s wine and not subject to corkage fees. “Their” wine (and the word “any” refers to your personal wine.

Not rocket science.

Yet, we had a prolific poster here that is no longer with us that insisted that the wine or alcohol provided in the 6 bottle set up for the upper suites wasn't supposed to leave your room. I don't agree with that. 

37 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Additionally, if O allows one to swap out provided wines for one you like better, does that extend to those wives? Asking for Bob’s friend! 🤔

You can assure ‘Bob’s friend’ that O always does its best to accommodate all requests? So I guess that will be a ‘yes’ …….