How Do Guests Feel About Thongs?

NJCoupleForFun

21 hours ago, NJCoupleForFun said:

............I'm more wondering:

How common is it on HAL?

How do all of you other HAL guests honestly feel about it?

Do people hate it? Love it? 

Your original questions: thanks for asking.

1. To date, they are not very common at all on HAL ships. HAL is known to be more sedate, older

2. Mixed feelings registered in this small sampling

3. Some hate it; some love it.

• Like 2

Just now, CruiseIreland said:

I think it depends on who's sporting the thong!! 😉

I think it also depends on who will be forced to look at it. What are their sensibilities, and should they matter? This is a closed system group setting.

OP was right to ask first for opinions. Ultimately it will be his call, since there are no longer any enforceable "dress standards" on cruise ships.

But they were always a prior quaint tradition when on cruise ships, which has radically changed in only the past decade, from the days of the previously enforced formal nights in the main dining rooms. And the presumption of modest swim wear and cover-ups poolside in consideration of other passengers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Laminator said:

I would consider the beach a group setting. There are plenty of thongs there. 

You can pick up your beach chair and go someplace else. Typically there is just one or two pools on cruise ships available to all passengers. With no where else to go. 

• Like 1

If you’re comfortable showing off your derrière to strangers, then by all means go for it.  No judging here.  Unfortunately, not everyone’s a$$ets are created equal, butt if you’re okay with it, I’m certainly okay with it.  Have fun!

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

You can pick up your beach chair and go someplace else. Typically there is just one or two pools on cruise ships available to all passengers. With no where else to go. 

I have spent many hours sitting at the Seaview pool where I wish I could have moved and I can assure you that it had absolutely nothing to do with thongs being worn. But since I understand that folks are on vacation and trying to enjoy themselves it is none of my business what anyone wears. Everyone here knows the opinions are like saying.

I have two thoughts to add to this somewhat strange thread:

One -- a thong takes up so very little space to pack, why not toss it in along with whatever other swimwear option you'd choose. When you get onboard, wear the non-thong option first and "test out the waters" (pun intended).

Two -- given that anyone on these boards who ventures to say passengers should dress nicely in the MDR is immediately shouted down that clothing does not matter, that it is the person we should be concerned about, that we should never venture to look up from our plates and judge what another person is wearing....  Well, given all that, how can we possibly say someone should not wear a thong? 

Personally, I'd rather a thong at the pool than a wifebeater in the MDR, but I've wisely learned to leave decisions like that to the powers-that-be on HAL and not second-guess their decisions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Wow.  I didn't expect such a response.  We are cruising Dec 27 out of Fort Lauderdale on Eurodam. Based on the responses here, a lot of people are in favor of it and a few are against it. That being said,  she will be in her thong. But to appease those of you who are not so in favor,  we purchased three bathing suits that are very cheeky, but not quite an outright thong. I assure those if you concerned about certain people shouldn't be wearing thongs, she does not fit that category.  It's a an image you won't want to forget.  😉 

Edited by NJCoupleForFun
  • Like 1

I'm a big believer in doing what you want and what makes you most comfortable.  I also know though that what makes me most comfortable can make someone else most uncomfortable and some people are not the least bit shy telling me.

No one can tell you what the response will be on the ship as no one can predict what a particular person may do or say.  Like every other time that you are out in a public space my suggestion is to be prepared should there be some sort of response, whether good or bad.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 3:25 PM, sunviking90 said:

It wouldn’t bother me as I don’t hang out at the pool. I’m guessing at least half the guests will approve.

I saw a 20 something with a tong last week on a Celebrity cruise but don’t recall ever seeing a tong on an HAL cruise but like someone else said, I don’t hang around the pool area much at all.

I was preparing to say I always wear them to go get coffee in the morning.  Realized that you were talking about a swim suit.  I am sure she looks great in her thong, or you would not be asking.  Personally, my butt never looked smooth enough to wear one.  Go for it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

...OP was right to ask first for opinions. Ultimately it will be his call...

Really - OPs call? Are you seriously suggesting his girlfriend is not entitled to make her own decisions regarding her own attire? I hope I misread your statement...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NJCoupleForFun said:

Wow.  I didn't expect such a response.  We are cruising Dec 27 out of Fort Lauderdale on Eurodam. Based on the responses here, a lot of people are in favor of it and a few are against it. That being said,  she will be in her thong. But to appease those of you who are not so in favor,  we purchased three bathing suits that are very cheeky, but not quite an outright thong. I assure those if you concerned about certain people shouldn't be wearing thongs, she does not fit that category.  It's a an image you won't want to forget.  😉 

Inas much as this thread has resulted in much attention and many of us will not be on the Eurodam with you, one wonders if a preview photo for the rest of us might be in order?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, NJCoupleForFun said:

I think what bothers me most about OP's question  is the purpose for which this individual is trying to show off his girlfriend's attributes, regardless of the impression of him that that may be created by his question.  IMHO, it is not a good impression.  

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

I think what bothers me most about OP's question  is the purpose for which this individual is trying to show off his girlfriend's attributes, regardless of the impression of him that that may be created by his question.  IMHO, it is not a good impression.  

His girlfriend enjoys wearing it for herself and probably for him.  He just wants to assure her that she’ll be comfortable on the ship.  I actually think it’s quite sweet that he would take the time to get other people’s opinions.  I’m impressed with his genuine concern for her and her feelings.  Bravo, young man!

• Like 2