High price for solo on celebrity cruise

latebuyer

Me again, I decided to call them back to see if there was possibly an error....well, now AQ is sold out BUT get this......they actually have a suite for LESS than what that erroneous amount on the other cabin........😮 

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Me again, I decided to call them back to see if there was possibly an error....well, now AQ is sold out BUT get this......they actually have a suite for LESS than what that erroneous amount on the other cabin........😮 

SCORE, Lois! 😉

5 hours ago, irvington said:

you might look at Silversea solo fares and see if any of them are in your price range.

Hi, was your reply for me? I am a regular SS cruiser for the past 7 years.....so I agree, they do have some very good prices for solos BUT only for specific cruises and none that appeal to me at this time. I sailed with them 4 times in 2023 and got low Single Supplements on all of them. 

I was just looking for "something easy".....if that makes sense to you.  This cruise to Bermuda is filling the space. And it will be the easiest flight I have taken in years LOL....Usually I am flying overseas with SS. This flight is non stop.......Jax to Newark......easy peasy. 

• Like 1

Be sure and input all pertinent info on the Celebrity website when you price check.

Example: April 22, Silhouette Transatlantic 13 nights Ft Lauderdale to Amsterdam. 

When I left blank my residency info the entry level inside cabin priced at $1581 (plus tax) for solo occupancy.

When I went back and this time entered California as my residency, price was $876 before tax for a solo. I went back again, entered 2 passengers from California, insides started at $665 per person. So the $876 price represents a solo supplement of 132% (vs 200+%.)

This followed through with ocean view ($990) and balconies ($1324) as well. A solo balcony on this sailing breaks down to $101 per night.

My guess is these are soft sailings, and a bargain if you’re able to book only 6 weeks out.

Celebrity has long offered resident rates. I punched in a variety of different states. Some had the same residency rate as California, others did not. It’s a crap shoot.

But the takeaway here is to always include your state of residency in your price searches. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was excited as there was an extra obc special on a celebrity cruise i was looking at. I was told i wouldn’t get the obc as it was a solo special. The price wasn’t special except it was double price except for triple price! So not sure if solos should expect obc going forward. The 6 day pacific coastal in sep 24 is a good price. Still, this made me mad.

Looking at this same issue and wondering if it's safe to book double then have one be a no show and get the 75% back in FCC as I do plan on getting the insurance anyway? 

I'm new to cruising so don't know all the ins and outs of course.  I've been on X once 2 years ago and got lucky with full balcony for solo to AK for $499 so I'm spoiled.

4 hours ago, kbconthemove said:

Looking at this same issue and wondering if it's safe to book double then have one be a no show and get the 75% back in FCC as I do plan on getting the insurance anyway? 

I'm new to cruising so don't know all the ins and outs of course.  I've been on X once 2 years ago and got lucky with full balcony for solo to AK for $499 so I'm spoiled.

That sounds like it might be insurance fraud. I don't know if it definitively is, but buying insurance with a plan to make it pay out sounds kind of hinky to me so I personally wouldn't risk it. Making up a companion and pretending that they didn't show at the last minute (without insurance) so you only pay 100% supplement seems much less like a crime. But I find any level of deception stressful, so that's still something I wouldn't want to do on my vacation. And I don't like going where I'm not wanted. 

On 1/14/2024 at 9:38 AM, alanstarr said:

So what happens if you put down a second guest who then is a no-show. Do they try to charge you more once you board? 

I would really like to know if anyone has tried this.

If Celebrity says they've changed this policy, I haven't seen it recently.

Tried looking at cruises with their most recent promotion of 75% off the second guest. So if a non-promotional rate I should expect 200% of the per person rate, then I should expect 125% with this promotion, right? Nope. Per person rate was around 900. Solo rate for same cabin was $4000+.

I was able to reach Elite status with my last cruise with them a couple of years ago, and sad that I won't get to enjoy any of the Elite perks as I won't be cruising with them again until they change this policy.

I did get an email about completing a survey based on my recent browsing experience, so did let them know I won't be considering them until they change. I don't like paying the 200% but I've always done it for a cruise that I really wanted to go on. But paying 200% of the total for 2 people?!?! Not in a million years.

15 hours ago, vms said:

If Celebrity says they've changed this policy, I haven't seen it recently.

Tried looking at cruises with their most recent promotion of 75% off the second guest. So if a non-promotional rate I should expect 200% of the per person rate, then I should expect 125% with this promotion, right? Nope. Per person rate was around 900. Solo rate for same cabin was $4000+.

I was able to reach Elite status with my last cruise with them a couple of years ago, and sad that I won't get to enjoy any of the Elite perks as I won't be cruising with them again until they change this policy.

I did get an email about completing a survey based on my recent browsing experience, so did let them know I won't be considering them until they change. I don't like paying the 200% but I've always done it for a cruise that I really wanted to go on. But paying 200% of the total for 2 people?!?! Not in a million years.

I just checked prices on a solo for 1/26 as I did have 1 good experience booking far out when a cruise had just been offered.  This was not the case here.  The price for a solo is triple!

image.thumb.png.d9680c309a5608a02a408253df08a723.pngimage.thumb.png.f06ac39058b434a3ff1c032ed41443e7.png

On 3/24/2024 at 3:10 PM, kbconthemove said:

This is not how the insurance works.  An insurance policy is per individual not per room.   The person who booked and did not show would get the insurance pay out.  It would not be in your name.  Taxes and port charges are returned to the credit card on file.