High price for solo on celebrity cruise

latebuyer

Posted (edited)

I just looked at a celebrity transatlantic cruise from Tampa to Barcelona in March and the solo cruiser is being screwed even further.    Not only is the cabin way more than double the price, but the drink and WiFi package is 50.00 per person per day for double occupancy.  While the solo cruiser is being charged more than 140.00 per day for the same thing.   I know most people would just say to not get the drink package which of course I wouldn’t.  But this is so extreme, I feel it just has to be illegal or at least unethical!      I’ve never been charged extra for drinks or WiFi because I’m traveling by myself.  Can you imagine going into a bar or restaurant and paying  2 1/2 times the regular price because you are eating and drinking by yourself?     That would never be allowed!  

IMG_9939.png

IMG_9940.png

IMG_9941.png

IMG_9942.png

Edited by Alan 1984
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Solo actually is a marital status. You are not married.

No, solo means travelling on your own. 

As someone who is a solo traveller, I don't appreciate the extra cost but understand why it's levied - two people in a room on average means a lot more onboard spend than they get from me.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Single is a marital status.

Imagine if restaurants charged more for a solo dinner as they could make more money from a couple sitting at the same table This is a real slippery slope and i’m surprised some people are so apathetic about it. This is the first i’ve heard of a company doing this. Do people have other examples? This is huge.

19 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I'm happily married, but I go solo on a trip if I want to go but the trip doesn't interest my husband. There are single people who share a cabin with a friend or family member so they are double occupancy but not married. 

That's why "solo" isn't the same as marital status.

Not that I approve of charging a solo more than twice the pp double occupancy rate. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 1/7/2024 at 1:04 PM, latebuyer said:

Sorry i’m getting a little worked up here. All we can do is not travel on celebrity so at least they’ve lost our business.

Mine too.  I noticed that the same thing is done on the luxury train lines.  Everyone got greedy after COVID.  I started cruising because my family is more comfortable knowing that someone is basically keeping track of me on a ship as opposed to land travel.

Edited by Milangel

"...worked up here. All we can do is not travel on celebrity so at least they’ve lost our business."

Apparently they WANT to lose your solo business. It stings.💜

Such a shame. My third cruise ever was in 2004 on the new Summit, followed by Solstice in 2010 and Eclipse in 2011 and 2015. I tried some smaller lines for several years but have been looking forward to trying the Edge class as soon as an itinerary with dates I could travel showed up, but now.....NO WAY! I'm not sure I would EVER cruise with them again even if they reversed this ridiculous price gouging. 

I think the reduced single supplement, while not going away, is going to become less and less available as cruise lines optimize booking early and filling ships to over capacity.  Unfortunately solo travelers are getting marginalized, as shown by Celebrity's recent pricing changes.  While I commend the provision of single cabins, even these are usually either interior (e.g. NCL) or obstructed view (Celebrity Edge class).  The only line I have seen offering a standard (unobstructed) balcony solo are the new Oceania ships.  I lucked out and booked a waived single supplement cabin on Celebrity Beyond for next summer but that was last spring.  I do not anticipate being able to do much, if at all, in the future.  Too bad.  Celebrity has always been my go-to line and I am Elite status.

I'm finding it a little concerning that princess hasn't had any solo specials on cruise plum in past couple of weeks. I notice holland america actually has a 50% single supplement on an alaskan cruise which is unusual.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 10:48 AM, latebuyer said:

Solo is not a marital status. Single is a marital status. 

I am single & travel solo. 
I have many friends who are married but cruise solo as their spouses don't like cruises. 

The solo supplement has existed for eons. Not just in cruising but in train & coach touring, expedition travel etc. I have been to many restaurants that don't necessarily say they don't cater for solos but do state they have a "minimum table spend". It's up to me whether I want to dine there or not. Just as it's up to me as to whether I cruise with a company that charges a smaller or larger solo supplement. 

• Like 2

Sorry but this is the first i've heard of a company charging over 200% like this. I've never heard of an all inclusive or any other cruise line doing this. Its a big deal. But actually a minimum spend isn't that bad an idea rather then just arbitrarily charging more than double.

Edited by latebuyer

Hi PerfectlyPerth.  I think we all know the single supplement has existed for ions.   I’m used to paying up to double for a cruise ship cabin. And that’s fair.  What we find unacceptable is paying way more than 2 people for the same space, and paying more than double for drinks and WiFi.    I’m sorry,  but this isn’t something that should be accepted as standard business practice.   

• Like 3

On 1/10/2024 at 11:33 AM, Brewgator said:

While I commend the provision of single cabins, even these are usually either interior (e.g. NCL) or obstructed view (Celebrity Edge class).  The only line I have seen offering a standard (unobstructed) balcony solo are the new Oceania ships.

On sailings starting Jan. 2, 2024, NCL is offering Solo cabins in Balcony, OV and Inside categories across the fleet, beyond the Studio cabins that they have had since the Epic sailed.  This is over 1,000 cabins across all their ships!  These are not re-constructed rooms, just re-categorized, that means that they are the same exact cabins a couple could have booked previously but specifically available to a solo cruiser.

https://www.ncl.com/newsroom/norwegian-cruise-line-announces-fleetwide-expansion-of-its-solo-stateroom-category

I will keep sailing NCL.  Their commitment to the solo cruiser with their highly-regarded 'solo program' that has a dedicated crew member for the week and now this announcement of adding more cabins dedicated to solo cruisers while other lines are ignoring us and charging us MORE than a couple would pay is well worth continuing to support their business..

• Like 4

Celebrity will be do ok with this as long as occupancy rates are around 100%. When they do go back down as they invariably will they will have lost most of their loyal solo cruisers who will not go back. Putting short term profits first over long term stability. 

• Like 3

On 1/1/2024 at 8:50 PM, CardowMD said:

Regent has solo cruise supplements as low as 0% on some cruises .30-50% less than Celebrity solo in inside cabin….includes all drinks, tours, tips, large cabins, laundry facilities, smaller passenger loads. It’s a no brainer!

I love Regent. Where have you seen these low single supplements? I haven’t seen them on any Caribbean cruises.

@LewiLewi I pulled up the RSSC site, special offers, single supplement special. You can filter by date. None left for this Caribbean season, but several next winter. I was looking at Europe, Asia, SA.  For this winter, may want to check last minute deals with Celebrity. Apparently they have retracted some of their incorrect solo pricing.