First Time Solo - NCL

SailorJoe22

Hey everyone!

So, I'm super pumped about my first-ever cruise happening in October (NCL Jade), and I'm going solo! The destination is mainly Great Stirrup Cay, and I could really use some advice from you seasoned cruisers.

First things first, any basic tips for a newbie like me? Like, what should I definitely know before and during the trip?

Now, about the ship—anyone got a list of drinks and their prices? I got the free at sea drink package...

has anyone tried the jet skis at Great Stirrup Cay? Are they worth it, or should I skip and save my cash for something else fun on the island?

TIA

Edited by SailorJoe22
edited ships name
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, SailorJoe22 said:

Hey everyone!

So, I'm super pumped about my first-ever cruise happening in October (NCL Jade), and I'm going solo! The destination is mainly Great Stirrup Cay, and I could really use some advice from you seasoned cruisers.

First things first, any basic tips for a newbie like me? Like, what should I definitely know before and during the trip?

Now, about the ship—anyone got a list of drinks and their prices? I got the free at sea drink package...

has anyone tried the jet skis at Great Stirrup Cay? Are they worth it, or should I skip and save my cash for something else fun on the island?

TIA

First and foremost, enjoy the entire cruise experience. You are on vacation, do what you want, when you want. 

An example NCL bar menu. The “goal” with a drinks package is to try those drink you would not order in your local bar. The package covers the first $15 of every drink, you pay anything over $15. Most common drinks are all under $15. 

If you are an experienced jet ski rider, the GSC experience may be a bit constrained since you go as a group. If you have never been on a wave runner, it is a good experience. You do follow-the-leader and they will let you run fast at times. 

On the ship, have a drink and enjoy the entertainment at each bar over the week. 

Enjoy the shown in the theater nightly. 

Just have fun. 

IMG_1286.thumb.jpeg.6f4adc6f8c504787bb3d6821430d6253.jpegIMG_1287.thumb.jpeg.df0eae4ff60bd4a2bf67389886d9f75e.jpegIMG_1288.thumb.jpeg.30329899f0de4a5ab0415764c32c536c.jpegIMG_1289.thumb.jpeg.bcaa0e9187d6fd1442fa15e514a92fc3.jpegIMG_1290.thumb.jpeg.ad88ebedfadd6218d9c1d7d38c4658bf.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SailorJoe22 said:

Hey everyone!

TIA

We did the jet skis at Great Stirrup Cay. Neither me or my husband had been on one before so didn't know what to expect. Once the group got situated on their machines the guide asked who wanted to go fast? Husband asking with a few others tasted their hands and he said follow him.

Away we went at a scary breakneck speed. I was terrified at first but husband was loving it. Eventually I calmed down and enjoyed the experience very much.

I thought we would just tour as a group slowly which the other group did but if you want to be adventurous and go fast you can do that too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LatinaInTexas said:

We did the jet skis at Great Stirrup Cay. Neither me or my husband had been on one before so didn't know what to expect. Once the group got situated on their machines the guide asked who wanted to go fast? Husband asking with a few others tasted their hands and he said follow him.

Away we went at a scary breakneck speed. I was terrified at first but husband was loving it. Eventually I calmed down and enjoyed the experience very much.

I thought we would just tour as a group slowly which the other group did but if you want to be adventurous and go fast you can do that too.

Sorry for the typos the line should have read...Husband along with a few others raised their hands 

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Keep in mind GSC is not guaranteed, it gets skipped for weather frequently as it’s a tender port. We are 3 for 4 getting there.

I'm 1 for 3.  

14 hours ago, SailorJoe22 said:

OK, my biggest piece of advice, having been there firsthand (and as a solo) :  You're on either the 3 or 4 day to GSC and Nassau, i.e. the "Booze Cruise."  That's perfectly fine for what it is; I've done it a couple times including my very first cruise (RCCL.)  I didn't HATE it but it took me 10 years to get around to going on another one because I can get perfectly drunk on land.  Plus, I'd been to Nassau previously, having blown off my college commencement for an all-inclusive (long story.) 🙂  This cruise will simply not be indicative of what a 7+ day (arguably to more desirable ports) would be, so enjoy yourself but don't judge all cruises -- for better or worse -- by this one.  

The best part of having the drink package is experimenting.  Unless you go for high end stuff, in which case I'd recommend upgrading to Free at Sea Plus, pretty much everything is covered.  You'll pay taxes on drinks you have in Miami and maybe a few bucks here or there but it shouldn't be a big amount.  So find a favorite bar or two, get acquainted with the bartenders there (maybe throw them a few bucks) and ask them for recommendations.  

Have fun!

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

YT has a lot of videos of GSC and the excursions there. I have learned a lot about the zip lines there watching videos. YT and CC have been great resources for learning the ropes of the ships and excursions. Personally I like seeing what things look like before I go.  And this is also my first NCL cruise and I'll be solo as well 

I know there's a lot of posts here and other places saying GSC is hit or miss due to weather and rough seas.  Personally I won't be too upset if I miss the island but that's me and my cruising style. 

Good luck to you and happy cruise!

On 12/23/2023 at 10:27 AM, mjkacmom said:

Keep in mind GSC is not guaranteed, it gets skipped for weather frequently as it’s a tender port. We are 3 for 4 getting there.

What happens if the port is skipped? Does it simply turn into a sea day, and are port fees reimbursed?

53 minutes ago, SailorJoe22 said:

What happens if the port is skipped? Does it simply turn into a sea day, and are port fees reimbursed?

I don’t know if NCL ever refunds for missed ports (are there even fees since it’s their own island?). Sea day.

If Great Stirrup Cay is skipped, you'll probably go to Nassau. Don't fret. Nassau is fun. I really enjoyed walking over to Junkanoo Beach. The water was a lot colder than I expected, but it was March. I'm thinking you won't have that problem in October. Wandering through Nassau, seeing the government buildings, the colorful buildings, and just looking around is a good time. At least to me, it is! 

When you do get to Great Stirrup Cay, remember food and beverages are included as part of your Free at Sea drink package and food, in general. Don't just go to the buffet. There is a taco place (I don't recommend), a smaller buffet and a really great food truck dishing out bbq pork sandwiches, chicken sandwiches, and ceviche. Mmmmmm, best food on the island and out of the way so most folks don't actually get there. 

Oh, how I want to get back to Great Stirrup Cay. Thankfully we're one for one (or two for two, honestly don't remember how many times we've been there). I wish you the same luck! 

1 hour ago, SailorJoe22 said:

Usually it is turned into a sea day, rarely will you divert to Nassau or Freeport 

I'm seeing a lot of posts here and other places about GSC being missed. Right now this is the only port I have an actual excursion planned (zip lines) and this worry me slightly. Will it make or break my cruise? No, not at all. I guess I'll see what happens and enjoy my refund if we miss GSC 😂