Emerald Princess - 23 Dec -Panama Canal full transit

mrell345

3 hours ago, mrell345 said:

I can’t remember seeing an espresso machine in the buffet,  you could always order it on the app for delivery but it would be  quicker to  grab one on the way in.

Thanks. It might just be the larger Princess ships that have an espresso station in the buffet. 

8 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

Thanks. It might just be the larger Princess ships that have an espresso station in the buffet. 

Coffee and Cones is on the same deck not to far from the entrance to the buffet.

11 hours ago, TheMichael said:

The only thing missing is a review of the "house band" - as someone who spent most of my weekend nights at nightclubs or arenas for music, I find I'm generally disappointed in most cruise bands, but always optimistic in finding a gem at some point and sometimes content to "enjoy" the rough edges.

Funny you mention this - the band Topaz on board was wonderful.  Best cruise band I've ever seen - enough so that I gave them special mention in the survey.  Their appearances were always a party - everyone on their feet dancing.  

• Like 2

One thing I did not mention, it is entirely up to you but I would suggest being up to date on your Covid and Flu shots, RSV shot if you can get it.  There were more than a few people coughing on the ship and a few people were confined to cabin while they got rid of it.  No major infection protocols onboard but you don’t want your vacation ruined by being stuck in your cabin.  We definitely caught something (not  Covid) as we both had stuffed sinuses after getting home.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mrell345 said:

One thing I did not mention, it is entirely up to you but I would suggest being up to date on your Covid and Flu shots, RSV shot if you can get it.  There were more than a few people coughing on the ship and a few people were confined to cabin while they got rid of it.  No major infection protocols onboard but you don’t want your vacation ruined by being stuck in your cabin.  We definitely caught something (not  Covid) as we both had stuffed sinuses after getting home.

Good suggestions.  I also plan to bring a bit more OTC medications with me than normal.  It seems the current virus going around is upper respiratory.  I plan to bring decongestants, cough medication, tylenol, Pepto-Bismol, etc.  I always say.... there is no CVS onboard....bring your own but don't over do it.   I also plan to bring covid test kits.  On another Princess thread the OP shared that she used her own test kits and tested positive while sailing. She self reported to medical.  She quarantined in her cabin and Princess offered food from most other restaurants delivered for free not just the standard room service menu.  She also had to follow different debarkation procedures. 

Thanks for sharing your journey.  I enjoyed following along. 

8 hours ago, friend of Eeyore said:

Definitely something going around the ship. A lot of coughing going on.

This is becoming a common thread - I suspect people came away from their holiday gatherings with whatever virus was going around their families, and they ain't gonna let no little "head cold" cancel their hard-earned vacation. Many of those same people aren't washing their hands when they enter the buffet.

And we wonder why ships get the mainstream rap of being floating petri dishes...

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 11:48 PM, TheMichael said:

This is becoming a common thread - I suspect people came away from their holiday gatherings with whatever virus was going around their families, and they ain't gonna let no little "head cold" cancel their hard-earned vacation. Many of those same people aren't washing their hands when they enter the buffet.

And we wonder why ships get the mainstream rap of being floating petri dishes...

I got sick from the ship.  I don’t get sick very often and this may be the most intense sickness I’ve ever had.  I had a fever several days, but mostly been congestion and violent coughing.  Lost my appetite and had no taste… started to come back yesterday so I’ll beat this I’m sure.  Tested negative for Covid, doctors advise me to stay home/ get rest and drink liquids. 

any idea what was going around?

On 1/13/2024 at 9:00 PM, Itried4498 said:

I got sick from the ship.  I don’t get sick very often and this may be the most intense sickness I’ve ever had.  I had a fever several days, but mostly been congestion and violent coughing.  Lost my appetite and had no taste… started to come back yesterday so I’ll beat this I’m sure.  Tested negative for Covid, doctors advise me to stay home/ get rest and drink liquids. 

any idea what was going around?

I wasn’t on that cruise (I’ll be on the Eclipse/PC cruise on Emerald in April) but if you’re negative for Covid, loss of taste implies flu, which has also been spiking. 

Basically all of the things you can catch by being in proximity to other people are rising, because people are in proximity to more people than maybe ever before, and almost zero are cancelling plans or even wearing masks when they feel sick prior to going on vacation. 

I am sorry to hear that you got so sick, and so REALLY appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. My cruise is in a week and I was actually on the fence about even BRINGING masks. No longer. An ounce of prevention, as they say.

Definitely do everything you can to protect yourself.  We are still coughing and we disembarked the Royal Princess on December 15th.  So much going around, it's very very tough to avoid.

On 1/15/2024 at 9:32 AM, azbirdmom said:

Definitely do everything you can to protect yourself.  We are still coughing and we disembarked the Royal Princess on December 15th.  So much going around, it's very very tough to avoid.

The cruise I’m on right now is full of people who seem hellbent on NOT protecting themselves (and therefore others). I can count the masks I’ve seen on one hand. My masked-up gf had a woman give her dirty looks in a restroom. And forget handwashing. (Why yes, this cruise DID sail out of Galveston, why do you ask?)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

My masked-up gf had a woman give her dirty looks in a restroom.

Sadly, to some mask wearing is a political statement rather than the health choice it really is. 

• Like 3

On 1/20/2024 at 9:45 AM, broberts said:

Sadly, to some mask wearing is a political statement rather than the health choice it really is. 

Sadly also the people who should have been wearing masks, notalbly those who were evidently sick, were not.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had symptoms of what turned out to be Covid Feb. 6, on my way home from Emerald Princess Panama  cruise. It's been nasty even though I was vaccinated. At start of cruise I would wear a mask if more than 4  people on an elevator as well as in the full theatre. I was certainly in the minority. Wife and I are sorry we didn't  continue  with that policy. This even though some people would give me dirty looks. Far too many people would overcrowd elevators, even when I made comments that the elevator was full, they insisted on piling in! There were no signs of any encouragement on the FULL ship to avoid disease except for sign to use paper towel to touch door know when exiting public bathroom. I think only the first day there was an attendent by the wash station entering the buffet only. Since Covid started we've been on the Majestic Princess(full proof of vaccinations and negative testing and only 60% full), and Harmony of the Seas(at least 1/2 of one deck set aside for possible quarantine). I understand that many other passengers on our Emerald cruise came home with covid per Facebook posts. If cruise lines cared about passengers they wouldn't be FULL and require some precautions. 

1 hour ago, Willwils said:

If cruise lines cared about passengers they wouldn't be FULL and require some precautions. 

If passengers cared much about getting sick, they'd exercise precautions on their own and, perhaps, avoid cruising.

Hope you're feeling better

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

If passengers cared much about getting sick, they'd exercise precautions on their own and, perhaps, avoid cruising.

Last year our family all practiced the best Covid protocols we knew and still got sick (Covid) on an Alaska cruise on Princess.  It was a very miserable family memory now instead of a great time.  

It seems our cabin steward came down with Covid and we found this out when a new one appeared.  It is not always the passengers who are the culprits.

Edited by PrincessLuver

37 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

It seems our cabin steward came down with Covid and we found this out when a new one appeared.  It is not always the passengers who are the culprits.

You got that right.  Taking some reasonable precautions to mitigate or avoid illness (of pretty much any variety) is simply, and has always been, a matter of good planning/conduct and some good fortune.  The vectors can be unpredictable and varied.  There's always a risk to travel and sometimes things will work out well... and sometimes not.

On 2/10/2024 at 12:16 PM, PrincessLuver said:

Ah, but where might the steward have caught it? I feel the worst for the staff, because they're exposed week in, week out, and if they dare wear a mask, someone writes a nastygram to the cruise line to complain about it, because to some folks it's a political statement.

Someone brings a virus on the ship ("well, sure, I have a cough and felt fatigued, but I'm sure it's just a little cold, and that's not going to ruin MY dream vacation") and they could infect multiple passengers and staff.