Mars passenger demographic

travel4b

We are currently on the Mars Ft. Lauderdale to LA Panama Canal cruise - our first on Viking.  The ship really is gorgeous and service very good as expected. One thing that has surprised us though is the average age, health status and dress of our fellow passengers.  I mean no disrespect whatsoever; I’m just wondering if this is the norm or a one off with this cruise. Any veteran Viking travelers aboard who care to comment?

9 minutes ago, travel4b said:

We are currently on the Mars Ft. Lauderdale to LA Panama Canal cruise - our first on Viking.  The ship really is gorgeous and service very good as expected. One thing that has surprised us though is the average age, health status and dress of our fellow passengers.  I mean no disrespect whatsoever; I’m just wondering if this is the norm or a one off with this cruise. Any veteran Viking travelers aboard who care to comment?

On our Ft LAUaderdale to LA Panama Canal cruise - it certainly was the oldest looking group, with more walker, rollers, etc.

I believe any cruise that does Florida has a good chance to be that way.  At least they are out there trying to take that last cruise2

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, travel4b said:

Can you be more specific about the average age, health status, and dress of your fellow passengers that has surprised you?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, millybess said:

Can you be more specific about the average age, health status, and dress of your fellow passengers that has surprised you?

Again, no disrespect at all but so many of the passengers have obvious infirmities.  There are many with canes or walkers and more that seem to struggle walking any distance. As for dress, not to open Pandora’s box, but there might as well not be a dress code. Every night we’ve seen more than a few tee shirts and grubby jeans. “Casual Elegant” seems to be a wishful concept for those that do clear the tee shirt/jeans bar. 

50 minutes ago, travel4b said:

You re on  a Holiday sailing  from FL,  at least 15 days. You will have an old crowd for sure . Younger folks do not ge that kind of vacation time . 

Our June 2023  Scandinavian cruise had a great mix of ages from 30's to 80"s . Lots of  fit  young, and  middle age and older  folks doing kayaking, hiking, bike excursions.  I think it just depends on itinerary and time of year. 

Welcome to  your first Viking  Cruise !!!!!!!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

On our Ft LAUaderdale to LA Panama Canal cruise - it certainly was the oldest looking group, with more walker, rollers, etc.

I believe any cruise that does Florida has a good chance to be that way.  At least they are out there trying to take that last cruise2

Thanks. Was it a Viking cruise?  We have a Viking Middle East cruise scheduled but are not sure we are a good fit based on this first experience. 

2 minutes ago, Azulann said:

You re on  a Holiday sailing  from FL,  at least 15 days. You will have an old crowd for sure . Younger folks do not ge that kind of vacation time . 

Our June 2023  Scandinavian cruise had a great mix of ages from 30's to 80"s . Lots of  fit  young, and  middle age and older  folks doing kayaking, hiking, bike excursions.  I think it just depends on itinerary and time of year. 

Welcome to  your first Viking  Cruise !!!!!!!

Good to know. That’s a positive. We’ve done seven cruises on Seabourn, usually 2-3 weeks, and the mix skewed much younger and vigorous. Again, not judging at all. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, travel4b said:

Again, no disrespect at all but so many of the passengers have obvious infirmities.  There are many with canes or walkers and more that seem to struggle walking any distance. As for dress, not to open Pandora’s box, but there might as well not be a dress code. Every night we’ve seen more than a few tee shirts and grubby jeans. “Casual Elegant” seems to be a wishful concept for those that do clear the tee shirt/jeans bar. 

Viking’s demographic has always been an older crowd.

As a laid- back experience, with no Broadway shows or climbing walls, etc., older folks tend to gravitate toward the small ship, simpler experience.

As a relatively pricey cruise, well-to-do older folks are more prevalent, and wealthy older folks tend to have more infirmities.

As for the dress, my theory is that Viking has to go further down the demographic ladder to fill their ever-expanding fleet of ships. In addition, while they publish supposed standards, they obviously don’t enforce them.

Viking has never had a diverse cross-section of travelers, which many of us are fine with.

58 minutes ago, travel4b said:

Thanks. Was it a Viking cruise?  We have a Viking Middle East cruise scheduled but are not sure we are a good fit based on this first experience. 

We did a b2b Med cruise 6 months ago on Viking and it was a much younger crowd than what you’re describing. So, destination probably has a lot to do with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Viking’s demographic has always been an older crowd.

As a laid- back experience, with no Broadway shows or climbing walls, etc., older folks tend to gravitate toward the small ship, simpler experience.

As a relatively pricey cruise, well-to-do older folks are more prevalent, and wealthy older folks tend to have more infirmities.

As for the dress, my theory is that Viking has to go further down the demographic ladder to fill their ever-expanding fleet of ships. In addition, while they publish supposed standards, they obviously don’t enforce them.

Viking has never had a diverse cross-section of travelers, which many of us are fine with.

We booked two cruises yesterday while on board Auckland to Sydney.  Based on the occupancy levels of both cruises booked, there is no need to worry about Viking filling their ships.

• Like 1

We noticed something similar on the same cruise itinerary two years ago.  I think since it begins and ends in the US, no international flights are required, and that there are more sea days than port days (and the accompanying shore excursions) that an older, and less physically mobile demographic is attracted to the itinerary.  It gives those folks the opportunity to enjoy a marvelous, pampered, high-end, all-adult and slightly exotic vacation experience without the strain and stress of doing the international flights/travel.  No matter the age/mobility level, I found everyone on our Panama Canal cruise to be delightful, happy and enjoying their experience enormously.

• Like 7

We just returned from the Panama Classic on Mars.  We didn’t notice the passengers skewed old or with limited mobility.  We did notice some larger tables in the dining room that appeared to be families traveling together.  As for dress, it was a warm weather trip and not Cunard, so days were shorts and tops while evenings were the typical slacks and collared shirts for men and women mixing it up with slacks or skirts with tops in the restaurants.  WC was more casual.  

We were also on the same Panama transit cruise 3 weeks ago.  We did notice that it

was an older demographic.  I would estimate the average age at 70+.  Our other 2

Viking cruises were in the eastern Caribbean and has definitely a younger crowd.

As far as the dress it was a tropical weather climate and passengers were dressed

accordingly and not a problem.   By the way it was a wonderful cruise maybe our best yet.  We have been on 10 and are in our 60's.

• Like 3

Vikings demographic is older.  Quite a bit compared to other lines.  And yes, there are more mobility challenged than other lines we have sailed.  When Viking first started their rules stated that Viking did not accommodate scooters.  Now you see quite a few including those who park in the passageways.  A danger to all on that deck in case of any emergency.  Just the way it is.  A recent Regent cruise had much more active and friendly fellow passengers but as usual your mileage may vary.  Upcoming Viking World Cruise might have the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders onboard as did an old episode of the Love Boat.....🍸

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Vikings demographic is older.  Quite a bit compared to other lines.  And yes, there are more mobility challenged than other lines we have sailed.  When Viking first started their rules stated that Viking did not accommodate scooters.  Now you see quite a few including those who park in the passageways.  A danger to all on that deck in case of any emergency.  Just the way it is.  A recent Regent cruise had much more active and friendly fellow passengers but as usual your mileage may vary.  Upcoming Viking World Cruise might have the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders onboard as did an old episode of the Love Boat.....🍸

Well, I just transferred my booking for 2025 to 2026  so we can celebrate my sister's birthday while on board. She is my younger sister.😂 I hope I will not need a scooter or other devices because  I will be much older by then. Just praying I am still alive and have my wits about me. 🙏

Happy New Year 2024 

• Like 1

Our one and only tender port is in a few days. That should be interesting!!  In the meantime, my other half came up with a great solution to the evening dress code issues. Since the dining venues are divided spaces just have the hostess sort seating from “what dress code?” up to “yes, of course I know what casual elegant means!”  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, travel4b said:

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. We disembarked Viking Jupiter on 6 December having sailed from Barcelona to Buenos Aires.

We were told by a senior crew member that there was a high percentage of passengers in their 80s and 90s. There were a large number of less able passengers. This made moving around the ship and getting on and off the ship slower for others. Many of the less able signed-up for the walking tour of Recife. They didn’t last long and ruined the tour for others. Many of us more able had to apologise to the guide for abandoning the tour,

As for dress code, jeans, grubby t shirts were frequently seen throughout the ship in the evening. One woman was in the Explorers’ Bar in the evening in her bath robe. Viking didn’t seem to challenge anyone.

Adding fuel to the fire, it seemed that most of those making no attempt to reach the bar of the dress code were American.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, friendlyfifer said:

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. We disembarked Viking Jupiter on 6 December having sailed from Barcelona to Buenos Aires.

We were told by a senior crew member that there was a high percentage of passengers in their 80s and 90s. There were a large number of less able passengers. This made moving around the ship and getting on and off the ship slower for others. Many of the less able signed-up for the walking tour of Recife. They didn’t last long and ruined the tour for others. Many of us more able had to apologise to the guide for abandoning the tour,

As for dress code, jeans, grubby t shirts were frequently seen throughout the ship in the evening. One woman was in the Explorers’ Bar in the evening in her bath robe. Viking didn’t seem to challenge anyone.

Adding fuel to the fire, it seemed that most of those making no attempt to reach the bar of the dress code were American.

I’m afraid that pretty much parallels our experience. A shame, really, as the ship is gorgeous and the crew generally great. We are booked on an Athens to Mumbai itinerary in the fall but will probably cancel for the above reasons.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, travel4b said:

I’m afraid that pretty much parallels our experience. A shame, really, as the ship is gorgeous and the crew generally great. We are booked on an Athens to Mumbai itinerary in the fall but will probably cancel for the above reasons.  

This was not our first cruise with Viking, On previous cruises the average age was probably 65. The transatlantic cruise possibly attracted  an older demographic because of the number of sea days. Don’t give up on Viking. They are a great cruise line with wonderful crew,

• Like 3

My wife and I had to cancel out of a short Celebrity cruise to Spain and Portugal this past season.  I thought Celebrity's description of physical activity required on excursions far exceeded that of Viking.

One excursion mentioned "moderately strenuous" with walking on stone staircases that may lack railings as an example of what moderately strenuous means.  On our Viking Cuba trip, that level of detail might have been helpful for some guests. The historic hilly, cobble stone streets did not agree with all walking guests.

Average age on our 33 night Polynesia cruise earlier this month on Star was significantly older than prior sailing on same ship in the Caribbean.  In our 60's we were among youngest aboard.  Saw lots of walkers and walking sticks but only a couple of wheelchairs and no scooters.  Had no issues with passenger attire in dining rooms.  Did see one fellow in shorts get turned away.  Had to tender twice and thought despite older crowd Viking handled process very efficiently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just off the Viking Star, our first and most likely last Viking Ocean cruise.  

We agree with the OP- the age and physical limitations of a large proportion of the passengers was surprising to us.  There were several passengers who clearly had dementia.  Their spouses worked hard to take care of them- but this was not what we had expected to experience.

and for dress; we saw everything from sloppy to very elegant.  We are casual dressers, but sloppy was surprising.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, makai 7 said:

Just off the Viking Star, our first and most likely last Viking Ocean cruise.  

We agree with the OP- the age and physical limitations of a large proportion of the passengers was surprising to us.  There were several passengers who clearly had dementia.  Their spouses worked hard to take care of them- but this was not what we had expected to experience.

and for dress; we saw everything from sloppy to very elegant.  We are casual dressers, but sloppy was surprising.

Viking is an excellent cruise line with wonderful crew. I hope they read comments such as yours. In my opinion, they need to widen the demographic of passengers both in terms of age and nationality and enforce their dress code.

I believe a new class of ship will be joining the Viking fleet shortly. Perhaps Viking should use this as an opportunity to look at their whole offering and make changes where needed.

• Like 3