Canada & Alaska clothing advice would be really appreciated.

Max68

Hi couldn't find any relevant posts so hope you don't mind me asking.  After a few Canaries Cruises with TUI we have decided to do Canada and Alaska this year with the Alaska Cruise on the Celebrity Solstice.  I am just trying to find some decent advice with regard to whether we will need specific clothing on the trip as obviously unsure of the temperature, especially in Alaska in May.  We are doing a few excursions such as Columbia Icefield Discovery whilst in Canada and then Alaska Hubbard Glacier Cruise.  Just wondering if we needed to purchase anything that we will probably never wear again like a really warm coat, special boots, Waterproof Trousers, that sort of thing or can you just get away with the usual winter wear you would wear in the UK?  Apologies if it seems a stupid question but as I say have never visited before.  Thank you.

The usual advice is to dress in layers, so easy to add or remove sweaters, jackets, sweats, etc.

Doesn't matter if you look like Michelin man or doughboy, as long as you can easily remove outer clothing layers to store in a small carry bag.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, evandbob said:

The usual advice is to dress in layers, so easy to add or remove sweaters, jackets, sweats, etc.

Doesn't matter if you look like Michelin man or doughboy, as long as you can easily remove outer clothing layers to store in a small carry bag.

Thank you, so T Shirt, Thermal T Shirt, Fleece, Decent Coat rather than a jumper with one massive parker over the top!

We are doing Alaska in May and I was concerned it would too early in the season.  We then met a couple from Alaska on a cruise in October and they said May is a nice month.  Obviously cold,  but usually clear.  

On our previous Alaska cruises we took long underwear (lightweight) and layers.  Include a scarf and cap.  

• Like 2

Thank you all for your replies.  There is a sale at Millett's so I'll grab some thermal's and a fleece which I can always wear on the golf course anyway.  Half price jacket will probably grab as well and I'll pack my golf waterproof trousers.  Only thing on that link I'm not sure about is hiking boots.  We won't be doing any hiking and certainly wouldn't wear them at home so will see if there are some waterproof walking boots or similar which I can use again.

Most of the time you’ll be on the deck of a boat or a sidewalk. If not hiking you won’t need hiking boots. I take two pair of sneakers and trade them out if they get damp. As for a coat, certainly not a winter parka. A light weight hooded waterproof jacket with a hood with those layers you mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Glaciers said:

Most of the time you’ll be on the deck of a boat or a sidewalk. If not hiking you won’t need hiking boots. I take two pair of sneakers and trade them out if they get damp. As for a coat, certainly not a winter parka. A light weight hooded waterproof jacket with a hood with those layers you mentioned.

Good shout thanks,  yeah the guy in Millet's said the Parkers are big and bulky and there was a thin but warm puffa style jacket that was waterproof so I'll probably get that as it's a decent coat here for these windy wet days!

10 hours ago, Max68 said:

We are doing a few excursions such as Columbia Icefield Discovery whilst in Canada and then Alaska Hubbard Glacier Cruise. 

The Icefield Discovery provider will probably provide you with glacier boots (something to ask about anyway). You can spray fabric shoes with Scotchguard or similar to make them water repellant. It will be probably be breezy and chill as you cruise around Hubbard Glacier, but you can always duck inside; a hat and either hand-warming pockets or gloves will let you stay out a bit longer between ducking inside!

6 hours ago, Max68 said:

I'll grab some thermal's and a fleece which I can always wear on the golf course anyway.  Half price jacket will probably grab as well and I'll pack my golf waterproof trousers.  Only thing on that link I'm not sure about is hiking boots.  We won't be doing any hiking and certainly wouldn't wear them at home so will see if there are some waterproof walking boots or similar which I can use again.

UK golf course wear is probably all you need! Check on what the Icefield people provide. Remember it is their summer! Pic is June 2016 above Skagway. My mom (with the long gray hair) is always cold, and even she has her jacket open! 

suzis pic.jpg

Edited by crystalspin

That's really helpful thank you., It's just so difficult to work out what you need when you are going somewhere you have never been before.  Places like Orlando you know will be hot and wet whilst Vegas you know it will be hot.  Our itinerary is below so I think you have all given great advice and I suspect as you say I am sure the provider will loan out anything major we need, I'll have another chat with the Travel company.  Thank you all again.

Banff - Discover Banff & Its Wildlife with Gondola - -Bow Falls -Banff Springs Hotel -Surprise Corner -Hoodoos -Bow Valley Viewpoint -Lake Minnewanka -Gondola Ride

Banff - Columbia Icefield Discovery (Banff Return) - -Icefields Parkway -Crowfoot Glacier -Bow Lake -Ice Explorer Glacier Tour -Skywalk admission

Rocky Mountaineer - First Passage to the West - Banff to Vancouver

Cruise Alaska Hubbard Glacier – Vancouver, Inside Passage, Icy Strait Point, Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Ketchikan, Inside Passage, Vancouver

On 12/28/2023 at 9:54 AM, Max68 said:

can you just get away with the usual winter wear you would wear in the UK? 

we travel with layers, each having the following:

One waterproof rain jacket with hood.Proper waterproof such as Berghaus, Sprayway or similar.   This for milder, rainy days.

One fleece jacket for cooler but dry days. 

and it serves as a double bonus as can be  be worn under the rainjacket on cooler, wetter days giving both warmth and waterproofing.

One fleece scarf and one fleece "beanie style" hat for open deck viewing, as depending on the country/region/scenery/wildlife watching  we can spend a lot of time on outer decks and there can be a cool breeze when the ship is moving, especially if near the bow. The hat can be worn with the fleece on cooler days, or under the hood of the waterproof jacket on cooler, wetter days.

Sensible lightweight ankle boots with a good grip.

An umbrella.

We don't usually bother with gloves as wearing them can make it too clumsy for using binoculars and taking photos.

We have travelled the world in all seasons with these items,( apart from hotter climates) and as we already have these for home, no special purchase was necessary.

One item we did buy specially for cruising was our insulated travel mugs(the ones with lids) and we take them everywhere.  In hot weather climates they keep drinks cool, and in cooler climates and we are out on deck, they make it super easy to  safely transport hot drinks from source on the ship,  to the outer decks.. They can keep hot drinks really quite warm for a good length of time.  If you do not already own these, suggest you give the idea serious consideration, and they are inexpensive to buy.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Max68 said:

That's really helpful thank you., It's just so difficult to work out what you need when you are going somewhere you have never been before.  Places like Orlando you know will be hot and wet whilst Vegas you know it will be hot.  Our itinerary is below so I think you have all given great advice and I suspect as you say I am sure the provider will loan out anything major we need, I'll have another chat with the Travel company.  Thank you all again.

Banff - Discover Banff & Its Wildlife with Gondola - -Bow Falls -Banff Springs Hotel -Surprise Corner -Hoodoos -Bow Valley Viewpoint -Lake Minnewanka -Gondola Ride

Banff - Columbia Icefield Discovery (Banff Return) - -Icefields Parkway -Crowfoot Glacier -Bow Lake -Ice Explorer Glacier Tour -Skywalk admission

Rocky Mountaineer - First Passage to the West - Banff to Vancouver

Cruise Alaska Hubbard Glacier – Vancouver, Inside Passage, Icy Strait Point, Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Ketchikan, Inside Passage, Vancouver

When considering the experiences of others and their recommendations, it is critical to consider where they live and the climate they experience. Many years ago, I returned to UK in mid-April, after completing an entire Aussie Cruising season. Since I had accustomed to the heat, I almost froze in St Andrews, dressed in parkas while everyone else was in Spring attire.

Having lived on the BC Coast for >40 yrs, worked a couple of Alaska cruise ship seasons and also been to Banff a number of times, these are my suggestions, accepting that when dealing with weather anything is possible.

Banff - day time temperatures in early May are probably 10 - 15 C, cooling off to 5 - 9 C early evening and down as low as 1 - 2 at night. Chance of rain is probably 25 - 50%. Overall, I suggest it will only be a few degrees cooler than you experience in UK by day, but colder at night. Personally, I would be in shorts, with a t-shirt, sweatshirt and have my gortex rain jacket available. I have 2 pairs of good walking shoes. Always have a brolly available.

Columbia Icefields - Personally I haven't done this tour, but know it will be cold at the glacier. However, since you're from UK, I highly doubt you will require thermal gear for the visit. Definitely gloves.

Vancouver - Our May temperatures vary considerably based on the weather systems. Expect daytime temps of 15 - 20 C +. I expect our temperatures to be very close to what you experience in UK. Rainfall again depends on the current weather system, but could be 50% chance of rain.

Alaska - May is normally one of the driest months and I would expect temperatures a few degrees cooler than Vancouver, especially up by Icy Strait. Personally, I'm still in shorts and t-shirt, with a rain jacket and sweatshirt. I change into long trousers and a collared shirt in the evening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, edinburgher said:

We don't usually bother with gloves as wearing them can make it too clumsy for using binoculars and taking photos.

I was in Alaska last May ('23), and while I had lined 'driving gloves', I wish I had my wool gloves with me, as that wind was cold on the day we visited the glacier (and I was using my binoculars, so I couldn't keep my hands in my pockets).  

Also, many of the days were unseasonably warm, and I wished that I had brought capri pants and short sleeve shirts.  I live in the Seattle area, and I was prepared for cool, windy and rainy days, but not unseasonably warm days.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I live in the Seattle area, and I was prepared for cool, windy and rainy days, but not unseasonably warm days.

This made me smile.  A number of years ago we spent a few days pre and post Alaska cruising in Seattle.  All we had ever read about Seattle weather was to expect rain, rain and more rain, and once there, the majority of souvenirs for sale had a "rainy" theme.  LOL We experienced not only not a single drop of rain on any of our days, but an actual heatwave over the holiday weekend when we attended a big music festival.

Unlike when visiting warmer countries in the Med, where everyone apart from us usually has beautiful tans, when we bared our white Scottish legs and arms in Seattle , we felt right at home as local residents were also showing white legs and arms! Such weather may not be common in Seattle, but it can happen on occasion.

• Like 3