Manhattan hotel and things to do!

WeBeCruisinMon

Hello! My husband and I and our two sons (1yr and 3yr) are going out of the Manhattan cruise port mid-February. We’re flying into LGA. What hotels do you recommend? What can we do with the kids? We land at 10am so we’ll have a decent amount of the day to explore. Neither of us are too familiar with the area and what we can do with the young kids and who knows what the weather will be.

Any recommendations for a one night stay at hotel and things to do (walking distance from hotel) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! 

What are your dates and what's your budget? Mid-February can be kind of hit and miss on weather. There's also a holiday weekend, which can complicate things as well.

With kids, if you can splurge, I'd stay in the middle of things. That doesn't (necessarily) mean Times Square, which can be a total zoo and the costumed characters offering to take pictures want tips! Rockefeller Center can be a fun visit, watching skaters on the ice rink for instance and is a short walk. Beyond that I'll defer to those who've done this with kids. Manhattan is a big place and I'd expect a 1 and 3 year old to tire out fairly quickly! And if it's wet and cold, which is entirely possible, all bets are off!

February 10th is the date. Would like to stay at $300 or lower. We don’t need anything fancy, we’ll be there less than 24 hrs. Yes, we will need a crib!

I also do a lot with credit card points and hotel points which the price with points is often lower so the price isn’t really a main focus. More so the area where there are things for us to walk to and do for that day we arrive.

thanks!

40 minutes ago, WeBeCruisinMon said:

February 10th is the date. Would like to stay at $300 or lower. We don’t need anything fancy, we’ll be there less than 24 hrs. Yes, we will need a crib!

I also do a lot with credit card points and hotel points which the price with points is often lower so the price isn’t really a main focus. More so the area where there are things for us to walk to and do for that day we arrive.

On that date $300 or less is reasonable-- there are a bunch of decent options available in the Courtyard by Marriott/Hampton Inn/Hilton Garden Inn and equivalent-- basically solid 3 star hotels in good, walkable areas. 

If you did have points you wanted to use New York is a great spot to use them from a value standpoint and that time of year the points redemptions on programs like Marriott Bonvoy are lower than usual. You could punch into the 4-5 star hotels that are in the top locations if you wanted to redeem. 

1 minute ago, princeton123211 said:

On that date $300 or less is reasonable-- there are a bunch of decent options available in the Courtyard by Marriott/Hampton Inn/Hilton Garden Inn and equivalent-- basically solid 3 star hotels in good, walkable areas. 

If you did have points you wanted to use New York is a great spot to use them from a value standpoint and that time of year the points redemptions on programs like Marriott Bonvoy are lower than usual. You could punch into the 4-5 star hotels that are in the top locations if you wanted to redeem. 

I just need help in what the top locations are 🙂

32 minutes ago, WeBeCruisinMon said:

I would be focused on Midtown Manhattan to the East of Times Square. That puts you within walking distance of a lot of top sights including Times Square, Central Park, 5th Avenue, Rockefeller Center, Grand Central Terminal etc.

If this is only for 24 hours you have no hope in seeing a vast majority of New York so being there will let you spend a few hours walking around and seeing what you can. 

• Like 1

My concern is that it might be too frigid for the little ones walking around in Feb. The buildings block the sun and there are wind tunnels between the buildings. 

A hotel near Times Square would probably be the best bet. You could take kids to see all the lights around 5:00 it gets dark. Plenty of kid friendly places to eat. If it’s nice enough out you can walk to Bryant Park. Not sure the carousel will be running. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

My concern is that it might be too frigid for the little ones walking around in Feb. The buildings block the sun and there are wind tunnels between the buildings. 

A hotel near Times Square would probably be the best bet. You could take kids to see all the lights around 5:00 it gets dark. Plenty of kid friendly places to eat. If it’s nice enough out you can walk to Bryant Park. Not sure the carousel will be running. 

Seconded — a one year old really does not expect much from a visit to NYC 😛, and his three year old brother might be happier in front of a TV than experiencing mid-February New York weather.   If the weather is OK, there is a lot of interesting lights/action in the Times Square area, but what you really need is a decent TV and room service.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, WeBeCruisinMon said:

That depends on what YOU want to see in your limited time.  If you want to see Central Park, the areas near the park (54th street and up) would make most sense.  If you want to see Times Square and the billboards and theaters and tourist attractions, then midtown between 38th and 52nd makes most sense.  If you want a quiet neighborhood, SoHo or TriBeCa might work, so could the Upper East or Upper West side.

You will find hotels in your price range in all those locations.   Bring a Pack 'n' Play as a Plan B if there isn't a crib.

56 minutes ago, George C said:

Agree with midtown Manhattan, Rockefeller center , Central Park along with their zoo should be good . Top of Empire State Building or Rockefeller center would be good .

Remember:  you are talking about folks travelling with a one year old and a three year old-   if you have not done that personally, consult with someone who has.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:
3 hours ago, George C said:

Remember:  you are talking about folks travelling with a one year old and a three year old-   if you have not done that personally, consult with someone who has.

I have plenty of times. Children are to be seen and not heard. They adapt to the environments they are put in if given the right guidance. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I have plenty of times. Children are to be seen and not heard. They adapt to the environments they are put in if given the right guidance. 

Oh absolutely just let the toddlers know your expectations and you should be fine.🤣

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Omg. It’s 2024! I don’t agree. Most NYC restaurants are so noisy it doesn’t matter. 

Our children grew up on Long Island, and while my husband and I would often go into NYC for theater, dinners, etc, we would get a sitter for them when they were that young.

The City is not a place where children who are 1 and 3 would enjoy. Especially during cold winter days. The crowds, and  the noise will overwhelm them. (And if you plan on pushing a stroller in Times Square it would be a nightmare. The crowds are so thick that it is even difficult to walk)

Restaurants in Times Square can have long waits.
If it was summer, I would advise a stroll through Central Park.
If they were a bit older I would recommend a visit to the Museum of Natural History.

If it was Christmas time I would suggest a walk down 5th Ave with a visit to Macys and Santa.

One idea you might think about is a tour of the Intrepid which is docked close to the cruise ships. The 3 year old might enjoy that.
At the very least I would say to keep your itinerary pretty loose and just plan to take advantage of a few hours of seeing whatever is closest to your hotel.

But really, I must agree with the poster who said a nice hotel with room service, and tv is what they would appreciate most and will be easiest on you.

4 hours ago, trivia addict said:

Our children grew up on Long Island, and while my husband and I would often go into NYC for theater, dinners, etc, we would get a sitter for them when they were that young.

The City is not a place where children who are 1 and 3 would enjoy. Especially during cold winter days. The crowds, and  the noise will overwhelm them. (And if you plan on pushing a stroller in Times Square it would be a nightmare. The crowds are so thick that it is even difficult to walk)

Restaurants in Times Square can have long waits.
If it was summer, I would advise a stroll through Central Park.
If they were a bit older I would recommend a visit to the Museum of Natural History.

If it was Christmas time I would suggest a walk down 5th Ave with a visit to Macys and Santa.

One idea you might think about is a tour of the Intrepid which is docked close to the cruise ships. The 3 year old might enjoy that.
At the very least I would say to keep your itinerary pretty loose and just plan to take advantage of a few hours of seeing whatever is closest to your hotel.

But really, I must agree with the poster who said a nice hotel with room service, and tv is what they would appreciate most and will be easiest on you.

Good to read a post from someone who actually thinks about travelling with very young children.  (I had four born in a span of five years - twins, of course.)

Camp Stores offer some really cool interactive events for kids, they are $$ but a really nice thing to do in the middle of winter in NYC. 

Right next to the cruise port is the Intrepid air and space museum which is mostly indoors and good for adults and kids. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, x lindsay x said:

Right next to the cruise port is the Intrepid air and space museum which is mostly indoors and good for adults and kids. 

I would put it more stretching to be a half and half indoor/outdoor. Sure there is a bunch inside but some of the main aircraft displays are on the exposed flight deck and Concorde of course is outside which is a big draw.