Carnival vs RC Oasis

mal831

On 1/12/2024 at 8:21 PM, mz-s said:

Yep, the flights are what is keeping me on this continent and coast for now! Eep.

Look at Level to barcelona, dirt cheap. Had a great time in November on MSC World Europa 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

Venezia is a bottom of the barrel reworked old Costa ship. Regardless of your brand affiliation, which I have none, its not even a close comparison to Oasis 

Let me know the next time Oasis tenders passengers to Grand Cayman.

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2024 at 5:28 PM, BlerkOne said:

I think the question was around the ship, not ports. And for the record, the percentage of passengers that enjoy tender ports is extremely low...

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 5:28 PM, BlerkOne said:

Most cruisers seem to want the resort style destination like Perfect Day. I would say that Grand Cayman will tender its final RCL/CCL ship this decade unless they build a pier.

On 1/30/2024 at 2:12 PM, elcuchio24 said:

Venezia is a bottom of the barrel reworked old Costa ship. Regardless of your brand affiliation, which I have none, its not even a close comparison to Oasis 

Agreed 😎

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Most cruisers seem to want the resort style destination like Perfect Day. I would say that Grand Cayman will tender its final RCL/CCL ship this decade unless they build a pier.

That's an opinion. Another opinion is most cruisers don't want to be held hostage by greedy cruise lines.  

Grand Cayman may or may not build a pier. That has been talked about for decades. It is one example, not an complete list.

1 hour ago, elcuchio24 said:

I think the question was around the ship, not ports. And for the record, the percentage of passengers that enjoy tender ports is extremely low...

My point was about ports. Most people may not enjoy dentists, but many still go.

I think most people enjoy tender ports but may not love the tendering process.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2024 at 5:12 PM, elcuchio24 said:

Really? A ship that first sailed in March of 2019 is now considered bottom of the barrel and old? LOL!! While I don't think the ship compares to Oasis for various reasons, Oasis is 11 years older!!

10 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

That's an opinion. Another opinion is most cruisers don't want to be held hostage by greedy cruise lines.  

Grand Cayman may or may not build a pier. That has been talked about for decades. It is one example, not an complete list.

Just look at Carnival's newest strategy, they've built bigger ships that can't tender. They're renovating HMC and adding a pier. Their newest proprietary port might as well be a copy of Perfect Day. While there are certainly cruisers who prefer Grand Cayman and other tender ports, the mass market lines are clearly moving on.

3 minutes ago, bar1068 said:

Really? A ship that first sailed in March of 2019 is now considered bottom of the barrel and old? LOL!! While I don't think the ship compares to Oasis for various reasons, Oasis is 11 years older!!

What that really means is Oasis was more than a decade ahead of its time. No lies detected.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

Just look at Carnival's newest strategy, they've built bigger ships that can't tender. They're renovating HMC and adding a pier. Their newest proprietary port might as well be a copy of Perfect Day. While there are certainly cruisers who prefer Grand Cayman and other tender ports, the mass market lines are clearly moving on.

Right now, especially with what is happening in the world, the Caribbean is becoming hot again. It is cyclical. The pendulum will continue swinging. It is reported that Royal will build some smaller ships in the future.

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

What that really means is Carnival Paradise was more than a decade ahead of its time. No lies detected.

FIFY.

• Haha 1

On 12/29/2023 at 5:55 PM, john91498 said:

There's no comparison. The Oasis is vastly superior ship.

Just my opinion...

YES YES YES most definitely and also the Wonder OTS as well.

As they say "once you have done an Oasis class ship, it is hard to beat".

However the new ICON does look interesting as well. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 7:17 PM, jimbo5544 said:

Not trying to start a dog fight on the topic.  I have been in both as well.  Not even sure why it is an issue.  All cruise ships and lines have way more in common that differences.  Just wanted to reply to a couple of your points and then I will move on.  First, the reason that the food is the same is because Carnival WANTS it to be same.  She now is a Carnival ship.  The Italian flair is way more about the heritage and decor than food (which BTW is way better than Costa food).  

In regards to the kids and keeping them happier on Oasis (class), it really depends on ages and demand.  I would def concede the flow rider, but the rest not so much.  A merry go round and flow rider attract a WAY different crowd.  I s the ice rink open every day?  I do not believe so.  Saw WAY more adults on rock climbing walls than kids.  I could go on, but will not.  No need.  I did a lengthy review of our sailing on Oasis and posted it on the RCCL main page as well as here.  There is a reason we have only sailed Oasis class once.  

Listen I get the hype, the wow, the sizzle (Icon right now).   That comes with some caveats, no tender ports (NONE) and limited ports of calls.  For a lot, the sizzle wins….not for us.  Your opinion (or your kids) may vary.  Time to move on.

Is that the cruise you went on reluctantly because you were sailing with friends and they chose the Royal ship?

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

YES YES YES most definitely and also the Wonder OTS as well.

As they say "once you have done an Oasis class ship, it is hard to beat".

However the new ICON does look interesting as well. 

I'm going on the Icon as soon as I hit the lottery which means never. lol way overpriced!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Is that the cruise you went on reluctantly because you were sailing with friends and they chose the Royal ship?

Went with family.  Have a son in law who is Diamond plus on RCCL.  There was no reluctance, I have sailed on other RCCL ships.  It was a review of a cruise.  I do it all the time.  

9 hours ago, StephPS79 said:

Oasis class ships are beautiful, no doubt.  I still have more fun on Carnival.  

Everyone is different.

Agree with that.  On this one, they missed the mark.  

22 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I'm going on the Icon as soon as I hit the lottery which means never. lol way overpriced!

aw the solution was to book when it first came out.  I found it to still be about 25% more than usual for me as a solo but not just ridiculous.

Unfortunately they did NOT put good prices for the STAR when it first came out..  

I have been getting great prices for solo on Princess believe it or not.

I'm looking forward to when EVERYONE wants to book mega ships that go 'nowhere' leaving me to enjoy Pride (and others like her) by myself on the way to exotic destinations. 🌎😄

• Like 2

On 2/1/2024 at 4:15 PM, Illbcruzn4life said:

That's how I feel. Too expensive and I am high enough loyalty to get almost max perks. I can wait. I've been reading the live from icon inaugural and sounds like they loved the new stuff, better than oasis class. Not paying those prices. Star same same. The next icon class coming. I do have utopia booked but for some odd reason a brand new ship will do 3 and 4 days and we tacked on utopia to wonder a day later. That's as high as my budget wants to stretch. Utopia when its finished sounds like it will be the last of the oasis class. For 1k I'll do 4 days with a group of friends in a boardwalk balcony. 

I enjoyed my 14 days on dream. Idk if the food was extra special because it was a journey cruise or just lucky.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, firefly333 said:

That's how I feel. Too expensive and I am high enough loyalty to get almost max perks. I can wait. I've been reading the live from icon inaugural and sounds like they loved the new stuff, better than oasis class. Not paying those prices. Star same same. The next icon class coming. I do have utopia booked but for some odd reason a brand new ship will do 3 and 4 days and we tacked on utopia to wonder a day later. That's as high as my budget wants to stretch. Utopia when its finished sounds like it will be the last of the oasis class. For 1k I'll do 4 days with a group of friends in a boardwalk balcony. 

I enjoyed my 14 days on dream. Idk if the food was extra special because it was a journey cruise or just lucky.

Did they have the new menu’s?

17 hours ago, jsglow said:

I'm looking forward to when EVERYONE wants to book mega ships that go 'nowhere' leaving me to enjoy Pride (and others like her) by myself on the way to exotic destinations. 🌎😄

That is not a bad idea.  

On 1/30/2024 at 4:16 PM, elcuchio24 said:

Look at Level to barcelona, dirt cheap. Had a great time in November on MSC World Europa 

I booked a TA on voyager to spain. My first one. Got a balcony any floor I wanted, for $1321. 13 days from PC. ... lol its after the TA the big expenses come in. Booked a 10 day 2nd leg ... not so cheap and staying in Rome and flying home. TAs by themselves are well priced.. its the after. I could book a 3rd leg and end in athens. Just depends where I want to end up and fly home from. 

Looked at Caribbean and same old for higher and higher prices. Spurring me to try europe. 

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Did they have the new menu’s?

Yes I think on dream we had the new menus. A lot of stuff said suggested by Emeril. I assume that's the new stuff. Pork bites the first night the sauce was to die for. I never eat noodles and ate every bite with that little but of sauce. Liked the hawaiian shrimp poke, though imo that's not real poke, still was good and the poblano soup was good. Not sure which were new and which werent. But I thought the food was really good I said elsewhere. I'd rate it 8 or 9 vs 5 or 6 on royal. Dinners were vastly improved. 

Is this a new menu when you see emeril picks? I had the poblano soup. 

20240123_134300601.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Yes I think on dream we had the new menus. A lot of stuff said suggested by Emeril. I assume that's the new stuff. Pork bites the first night the sauce was to die for. I never eat noodles and ate every bite with that little but of sauce. Liked the hawaiian shrimp poke, though imo that's not real poke, still was good and the poblano soup was good. Not sure which were new and which werent. But I thought the food was really good I said elsewhere. I'd rate it 8 or 9 vs 5 or 6 on royal. Dinners were vastly improved. 

Is this a new menu when you see emeril picks? I had the poblano soup. 

20240123_134300601.jpeg

Yes, it is.  I tried to do all the new options (unless they totally turned me off) on our last CCL cruise.  Enjoyed them all a lot.

• Like 1