Self-disembarkation vs. having the cruise line do it

Please ... this is NOT IN ANY WAY an invitation to debate the pros and cons of each.

In 2004, my husband, twin sons age 16, and I went on a Carnival cruise. We decided to self-disembark.  All went well until we found out that we would have to lug the luggage up (maybe down?) a flight of stairs. Fortunately, the boys were able to carry the luggage.

We are set for a March 11 cruise on Independence of the Seas. I sort of prefer keeping my luggage to myself, but if we have to do stairs that will make the choice easy.

So ... are stairs still an issue with self-disembarkation?

Thanks!

• Haha 2

I know of no ports where you have to do stairs.

The only time on carnival with stairs the ramp broke but you could take the elevator down. I've never seen any port set up for having to do stairs. ... unless something is broken. 

Miami right? We went forward and walked off easily last spring. 

8 minutes ago, Compooperteacher said:

Thanks!

Only if you use them.  We've been doing self-disembarkation for many years, and have had no issues using an elevator to get to the disembarkation deck.  Then you should be going down a series of walkways to the 2nd story of the port building.  From there, it's either an elevator or escalator down- they won't let you use the stairs if you can't really have a free hand.

Edited by alfaeric

5 minutes ago, nelblu said:

As long as you have the patience to wait for an available elevator.🤣

Yeah, sometimes there can be long waits for an empty elevator on the ship on the last morning, especially if many passengers elect self disembarkation.  People have carried their luggage down the stairs when they grew tried of waiting for an elevator.

3 hours ago, Compooperteacher said:

Please ... this is NOT IN ANY WAY an invitation to debate the pros and cons of each.

In 2004, my husband, twin sons age 16, and I went on a Carnival cruise. We decided to self-disembark.  All went well until we found out that we would have to lug the luggage up (maybe down?) a flight of stairs. Fortunately, the boys were able to carry the luggage.

We are set for a March 11 cruise on Independence of the Seas. I sort of prefer keeping my luggage to myself, but if we have to do stairs that will make the choice easy.

Thanks!

Not stairs, escalators. But if you have large and/or many suitcases staff will direct you to the elevators. 

But to answer properly, we must debate! Unless you are traveling with no more than 1 carry-on each + a backpack, do not attempt self debarkation. Set those wardrobe sized suitcases outside your door at bedtime and find them at the bottom of the escalator, please!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always thought that self-debarkation was for those folks that had either and early flight or some other type of connections.  How wrong I've been.  On the October Oasis sail out of Bayonne, my family had a nice leisurely breakfast in the MDR and at about 8:15 we decided to debark.  Wow the line stretched from one side of the Promenade to the other and most of the passengers waiting to debark had multiple bags and including the very large ones.  They struggled especially some of the older Paxs as the line very slowly snaked thru the MDR and onto the running track.  At one point, the line must have stopped for about 10 minutes as there was backing up at the terminal.  When getting off they also had to navigate the elevators and some took the chance of the escalators.

Our bags were waiting for us and not much of a hassle.   Not to debate the issue, but why, unless there's concern of losing/misplacement of one's bags.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nelblu said:

I always thought that self-debarkation was for those folks that had either and early flight or some other type of connections.  How wrong I've been.  On the October Oasis sail out of Bayonne, my family had a nice leisurely breakfast in the MDR and at about 8:15 we decided to debark.  Wow the line stretched from one side of the Promenade to the other and most of the passengers waiting to debark had multiple bags and including the very large ones.  They struggled especially some of the older Paxs as the line very slowly snaked thru the MDR and onto the running track.  At one point, the line must have stopped for about 10 minutes as there was backing up at the terminal.  When getting off they also had to navigate the elevators and some took the chance of the escalators.

Our bags were waiting for us and not much of a hassle.   Not to debate the issue, but why, unless there's concern of losing/misplacement of one's bags.

Do you really think the line was slow because people carried their luggage?  Last I checked, the slowness was people not checking out of security fast enough, due to issues or not knowing they need their seapass card.

Maybe you have problems wheeling your luggage around, but other's don't. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Do you really think the line was slow because people carried their luggage?  Last I checked, the slowness was people not checking out of security fast enough, due to issues or not knowing they need their seapass card.

Maybe you have problems wheeling your luggage around, but other's don't. 

Combination of both and especially at the terminal where a bottleneck occurs between the elevators and escalators.

I have no problem wheeling or carrying my bags.  On my December Harmony sail I had my carryon, backpack and my laptop bag and did a self-debark as I wanted to give myself flexibility since Bush Int'l is about 1:45-2 hours away.  Good thing as my airport shuttle hit a traffic jam on the way.   

Otherwise, I take my time and reduce the hassle.  By the way if I may ask, what is your primary reason for carrying your bags.

The escalator may be a challenge , but you have the option of the elevator when you are in the terminal. You may have to wait for it , but if you arent in a rush its a much safer bet if you are concerned about navigating the exit with large luggage.

44 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Combination of both and especially at the terminal where a bottleneck occurs between the elevators and escalators.

I have no problem wheeling or carrying my bags.  On my December Harmony sail I had my carryon, backpack and my laptop bag and did a self-debark as I wanted to give myself flexibility since Bush Int'l is about 1:45-2 hours away.  Good thing as my airport shuttle hit a traffic jam on the way.   

Otherwise, I take my time and reduce the hassle.  By the way if I may ask, what is your primary reason for carrying your bags.

Not that it's any of your business, but we find it easier.  And faster. 

It's nice to not have to wade through the crowds trying to find their bags.  

21 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Not that it's any of your business, but we find it easier.  And faster. 

It's nice to not have to wade through the crowds trying to find their bags.  

To each his own.  By the way relax. 🤣

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nelblu said:

As long as you have the patience to wait for an available elevator.🤣

Exactly.  Elevators can be a very big PITA on the last day.  So you either wait and deal with the crowds or use the stairs.  There will always be elevators and escalators in the terminal which aren't as bad.

19 hours ago, Biker19 said:

BTW, asking not to debate something on CC almost never works. 

That is absolutely funny (and true)!

All I want to know is if there are stairs. As I said, about 20 years ago, we did have to use stairs as the elevators were "reserved" for those passengers who were not doing the self-disembarkation.

We are looking to have a leisurely morning before leaving the ship. We live about a 2 hour drive from the port, so there's no rush to go to the airport.

5 hours ago, nelblu said:

unless there's concern of losing/misplacement of one's bags

Unfortunately sometimes other passengers do wander off with the wrong bags, creating serious issues for the real owner of the bag and everyone traveling with them.

Once the luggage handlers mis-sorted our tagged luggage, placing it in the wrong section far away in the luggage hall.  It took a long time to find it.

1 hour ago, Compooperteacher said:

We are looking to have a leisurely morning before leaving the ship. We live about a 2 hour drive from the port, so there's no rush to go to the airport.

Note that they want the cabins empty by 8am and the ship zeroed out (cleared of all passengers) before 9:30 or so at the latest.  Earlier if they can make it happen.  The entire focus of the crew is getting the ship emptied and turned around for the next cruise guests to board.

2 hours ago, Compooperteacher said:

That is absolutely funny (and true)!

All I want to know is if there are stairs. As I said, about 20 years ago, we did have to use stairs as the elevators were "reserved" for those passengers who were not doing the self-disembarkation.

Are you talking ship or port?  

Not that it really matters- as posted before, using the elevator on the ship isn't a big deal.  And there are escalators to go down in the port.  Strolling off ~9am is really smooth for all of our recent cruises.

3 hours ago, Compooperteacher said:

Yes, there are stairs on the ship and in the terminal. There are also elevators/escalators that are available for all passengers to use. You will not have to use the stairs unless the elevators/escalators are broken.

25 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Yes, there are stairs on the ship and in the terminal. There are also elevators/escalators that are available for all passengers to use. You will not have to use the stairs unless the elevators/escalators are broken.

*I have seen staff force folks with anything above a carry on each into an elevator vs escalators at some ports. Fyi.

9 minutes ago, Morecruisesplz said:

*I have seen staff force folks with anything above a carry on each into an elevator vs escalators at some ports. Fyi.

And in some ports terminal buildings are designed so people simply walk their luggage down nice wide, switchback ramps rather than using escalators.

• Like 1