The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday December 31st, 2023

kazu

Happy New Year’s Eve Dailyites - Wishing you all a festive evening, and a happy, healthy, wonderful new year to be, I appreciate all of you who make this community special. I hope to meet some of you on a cruise one day. 

And Happy New Years to our Daily friends where it is Monday already - @grapau27, @daisybertie, @erewhon !!

I closed out 2023 by booking a drop and go cruise on Sapphire Princess in February - 14 day Cape Horn and Strait of Magellan.   Couldn’t pass up a cheap solo fare on this cruise.

@0106, while you are in Drake Passage for the Super Bowl, I’ll be at Port Stanley, Falkland Islands, hopefully being enchanted by penguins !  I’m so excited!  Hope the weather cooperates .

Love all the port photos and stories today.  Hugs to all. 

p.s.  after I booked, I logged in to my account and saw - your cruise departs in 35 days.  What!  I need to get busy planning excursions 😂. my inside room is next to one of the the passenger laundry rooms.  I am challenging myself to use a carry on and backpack only. And using laundry room. Layers are key - 80s in Buena Aires and Santiago, and 30s to 40s down south.  14 days, plus 2 overnight flights from/to Houston.  What do you think - doable?  

Edited by ocean sounds
Because
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos of Fanning Island today, and hope you have no problems reaching their shores on your cruise.  And I wanted to mention I have taken my projects on many cruises and often stitch with other crafters on the longer voyages.  I meet a lot of nice people that way.

Thank you for that beautiful and timely ecard.  We appreciate it, and your friendship here on the Daily!

I've put that book on hold at my library for my Kindle.  It should be in my hands within two weeks.  Thanks for the suggestion!

I had the Alex Cross Must Die book request at our library, but when it came they still didn't have a Kindle version out.  I know there IS a Kindle version and can't figure out why they don't offer it yet.  I'll keep an eye on it and request it again when they do decide to purchase the Kindle version.  It's for DH.

You're welcome Graham.  I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Thanks once again, Graham!  I know we all enjoy showing them to others who are interested in seeing new places.

I hadn't heard a peep here until I read your post, then removed my earbuds (listening to a Hallmark Christmas movie), and began to hear some firecrackers.  The fireworks usually start around 9 pm here.  Good luck getting through this night!

Happy new year to you, Pauline and Sarah!  You all deserve the best 2024!

This morning after I posted about going out for Christmas lights for my poor tree, we decided to head out and get it done.  I bought 4 more boxes (I had one unused box of lights), so 500 total mini lights (colored, not white).  We came home and had lunch and then I started removing the ornaments so I could put new lights on.  Still had the top half of the 4.5 foot tree lit.  What an ordeal!  My back was aching afterwards.  Then I started adding the ornaments back since we store the tree fully decorated and put in a closet under the stairs.  All of a sudden the lights on the back side of the top of the tree were out too!  I was cursing under my breath!  I had no lights left and had to then rearrange some of the ones already placed to cover that area.  With my luck the front, top of the tree will go out tonight!!  What are the chances they would all go out at nearly the same time??  DH says we should have just bought a new tree!  Pre-lit of course!  Hoping for better luck in 2024!

Sandi, sorry more lights went after you were putting the ornaments back on the tree.  We switched to pre-lit trees and have had the lights go out.  The last time that happened, we got a tree with led lights.  The cost a little more, but the led lights last a lot longer.

11 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Just popping in quick to wish all a Happy New Year!  See you in 2024.🧨

Ann, I hope 2024 is a very good year for you and Pat.  HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Just now, ottahand7 said:

Happy New Year everyone!   I truly appreciate everyone on the Daily. 

I won't make it to midnight unless the Vikings have a turnaround and it goes to overtime.  Or...... we have never stayed in a hotel on NYE unless partying so maybe our "neighbors" will keep us up. We are supposedly so close to Disney we should hear their fireworks.  It will be nice to check the daily in the morning after tomorrow.  Our final leg to Fort Lauderdale tomorrow.  Park the truck 15 miles from the port and Uber to our hotel.   We always arrive 2 days ahead in case of contingencies.   

The fireworks have begun.  Cheers!  🍾

IMG_1402.jpg

Safe travels to you and John tomorrow.   I'm pulling for the Vikings to win.

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Queen Margrethe of Denmark made a surprise announcement on live TV tonight: her abdication. It will be effective on January 14, the date on which she succeeded her father 52 years ago. Since the death of Queen Elizabeth she has been Europe's longest-reigning monarch.

Before a cruise on the Voyager of the Seas in 2022, I went on an uncensored tour of Copenhagen, which is to say that the guide told all the scandalous stories he could come up. He was irreverent about everything and everyone except the Queen, whom he clearly respected and who was very popular.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/12/31/denmark-queen-margrethe-ii-stepping-down/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I am nearly the ultimate geek when I create fleet maps.  I use 2 almost hidden windows utilities to do it.  The first is "Snip Tool" to capture the map from cruisemapper.  I save the image to a file and then edit it with "Paint".  There's a little "A" in the group of icons at the top.  I click on that and then move the mouse next to a ship, click once to open a box and type in the ship name.  There's a newer version of paint, Paint 3a that should also work.

I have no idea how I would do it on an IPAD or a phone.

Roy

I think we are above my pay grade.  I’m using an IPad and my laptop’s photo system is not kind.  I’ll stick to my Ipad and just do my best.  Feel free to improve the maps anytime.

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

Working from a desktop or laptop all you need to do is place the mouse pointer on the image and right click. The menu will include copy. You can then paste into paint, or any other graphics program.

I’m doing a screen shot on my Ipad and then editing.  I guess it will be what it will be.  Thanks though.

5 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

Happy New Years/Eve to all of the wonderful, wonderful people here.

we're blessed to have you in our lives this past year, may the next year be the same blessings with a few extras because we deserve them.

I arrived safely to San Diego, which completes the first leg of our journey cruise GVAUS/NZ.

I was told lots of cruisers are at this hotel; I am thinking not all are CC people.

Planning to meet up with a few RC people here for a HH. Very fun!

CC is acting funny so I'll sign off.

Take good care,

Caron

Yippee on your first leg successfully completed.  I wish we had had enough foresight to do that when we flew to Australia. 

Nice on the get together - enjoy 🙂. And safe travels for the remainder of your journey, Caron.

5 hours ago, seagarsmoker said:

Good afternoon dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.  

Feeling a little better, hoping to be back to normal soon.

I hope everyone here has a Happy New Year! 

So glad to hear you are starting to improve. 👍. I hope you are completely better very soon.

3 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good evening and Happy New Years Eve. I am feeling very nostalgic today and remembering celebrating with friends that are no longer with me. I hope everyone has a peaceful night.

You are not alone in your reminiscing.  I hope you can enjoy the night despite the nostalgia.  

3 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Arrived safely in SD but my next suitcase got a boo boo. Filed a claim, we will see what comes of it. IMG_1761.thumb.jpeg.6edd370a757a2211ec27f1ca9e16fdae.jpeg

Yikes Lorraine.  Sorry about the suitcase but so glad you are there safely and ready to enjoy your cruise - oops Voyage.  🙂 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Happy New Year to all.  Wishing everyone a safe and healthy pain free New Year full of wonderful cruises.  Thank you all for being here and sharing daily. Greatly appreciated. 

Now to post this and see if I am human. 

In case you are interested this posted right away - I guess CC doesn’t care whether I am human or not …

Edited by arzz
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Rabbits Rabbits White Rabbits for the best of luck for us all!  
🥳

Happy 2024 to each of you near and far, home and away.

I’m so blessed by each of you and feel it’s quite Amazing that we can all celebrate here together!  
Prayers for you and yours for health, protection and sanity!
Maureen  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ocean sounds said:

I am challenging myself to use a carry on and backpack only. And using laundry room. Layers are key - 80s in Buena Aires and Santiago, and 30s to 40s down south.  14 days, plus 2 overnight flights from/to Houston.  What do you think - doable?  

Doable!  Just wear your “winter” coat and boots on the plane.  Now you better start looking for excursions;  there are emails for a few companies on the spreadsheet in my signature 🐧🐧🐧

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 0106 said:

Doable!  Just wear your “winter” coat and boots on the plane.  Now you better start looking for excursions;  there are emails for a few companies on the spreadsheet in my signature 🐧🐧🐧

Thank you for the tip!  I would have forgotten boots, Yikes !  I had hiking shoes on the list. 

• Like 2

• LauraS locked this topic