Suggestions on logistics for family of 9 w/ toddler

tizbo1423

Hi all, I'll be taking a cruise out of Miami in March, flying in the night before, and we're trying to figure out how to get everyone and their luggage from MIA to a hotel, and then from the hotel to the port - with a car seat for our 2 year old. And then from the terminal to MIA when we get back. 

From what I can tell, there aren't any rental car drop off's at the cruise terminal, so driving ourselves seems to be out. Has anyone else booked transportation or know any secrets to get a group with a toddler from point to point?

Two UBER XL vehicles, or three standard Ubers should do it.  Bring your own car seat (the airline will check it for free if you choose not to use it on the flight) to ensure that the seat fits and is properly maintained.  

17 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Two UBER XL vehicles, or three standard Ubers should do it.  Bring your own car seat (the airline will check it for free if you choose not to use it on the flight) to ensure that the seat fits and is properly maintained.  

I speak from experience that 9 people with luggage might not fit 2 Uber XLs.  This summer we were a group of 8 (2 of whom were kids) and ordered 2 Uber XLs from FLL to our our hotel and then from the hotel to Port Everglades.  The adults each had a full size suitcase and a carry-on/backpack.  The kids just had kid sized carry-ons.  I don't think another backpack, much less a carry-on or full sized suitcase could have fit in either vehicle.

On 1/1/2024 at 9:20 PM, Ashland said:

Try South Florida Shuttles...We've had great service from them and they will provide the type of carseats as needed.

Thank you for this!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tizbo1423 said:

Thank you for this!

You can also try Jiffy Jeff Transportation. We haven't used him but I've seen some good reviews for this company also.

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2024 at 1:54 PM, cyntil8ing said:

When renting cars, we drop everyone and their luggage off at the port, then return the car, with the driver making their own way back to the port and boarding separately.

Which car rental location do you use? Ideally we would pick up in MIA and drop off closer to the port

Avis and Budget have locations near POM (2nd Street); I would drop the family and bags off, return the cars (5+ minute drive) and have Avis shuttle the drivers back).  All of the downtown hotels charge for parking, so you will likely need to stay near MIA.

Two UberXLs seems a lot less hassle.

On 1/1/2024 at 4:46 PM, tizbo1423 said:

Has anyone else booked transportation or know any secrets to get a group with a toddler from point to point?

do the shuttle both ways and you won't have to bring a car seat.

That said, what are you doing in ports of call in terms of a car seat? are you taking taxis? what car seat do you use at home? do you have a travel car seat? is your 2 yo rear facing or forward facing?

If you do bring your car seat with you, please make sure to use it on the plane because it's the only way to make sure it doesn't get damaged by the baggage handlers.

https://community.babycenter.com/groups/a10635/traveling_with_children

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/28-family-cruises/

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

• 2 months later...
On 1/14/2024 at 6:51 AM, JohninDC said:

Avis and Budget have locations near POM (2nd Street); I would drop the family and bags off, return the cars (5+ minute drive) and have Avis shuttle the drivers back).  All of the downtown hotels charge for parking, so you will likely need to stay near MIA.

Two UberXLs seems a lot less hassle.

Have you done this? I'm doing exactly that and wondered how long it takes to get from the port over to Avis on 2nd St and back.

On 1/1/2024 at 1:46 PM, tizbo1423 said:

Hi all, I'll be taking a cruise out of Miami in March, flying in the night before, and we're trying to figure out how to get everyone and their luggage from MIA to a hotel, and then from the hotel to the port - with a car seat for our 2 year old. And then from the terminal to MIA when we get back. 

From what I can tell, there aren't any rental car drop off's at the cruise terminal, so driving ourselves seems to be out. Has anyone else booked transportation or know any secrets to get a group with a toddler from point to point?

I have never travelled with a big group, but here is what I would suggest.  Contact your hotel and ask if they have a shuttle that picks up passengers at the airport and takes them to the Hotel.  You might be able to arrange a semi private shuttle thru them. Then I would ask the shuttle driver, that if you paid him separately , could he take your group to the pier the next day.  I stayed at one hotel by MCO, and I could have sworn the shuttle bus driver had a side business taking folks to the port.  He told people to meet at the front door at a certain time , and he would take them.