Recommendations please on what to do in Auckland for two days, with no car.

Where would you take your visitor for two days in Auckland. Wednesday evening 10/1, Thursday 11/1, Friday 12/1 prior to cruise departure (final boarding 4pm?). Any live theatre for those dates? 

Where I take visitors is not where cruise ship excursions usually go.  

Are roses out at Parnell?

Is it still nice to walk around the Harbour and the waterfront. 

Waiheke Island day tours. 

Davenport Auckland by ferry 

Is it the right time of year for whitebate?  Best seafood/fish and chip shops?  Best Maori cafes?  Best Pavlova?  Best Kiwi desserts to try. What Kiwi lollies/chips should I buy to take on 11 day cruise (I have crystallised ginger for seasickness), honey and eucalyptus and.eucalyptus drops (all sealed). 

Can you buy a ticket on Auckland public transport or do you buy an OPAL type card?

I will also have an overnight stop at Tauranga.

Did I mention I absolutely love the brilliant itinerary of my cruise departing Auckland on 12/1, with two overnight stops at Tauranga and Sydney, NSW, arriving in Melbourne in time for Australian Open and Australia Day. 

The roses should be out in Parnell but it's the wrong time of year for whitebait or Bluff oysters.

I'm not sure what tours are available on Waiheke these days. I think there is a HoHo bus though. If you do go over there I highly recommend Ki Maha Restaurant at Onetangi Beach for delicious seafood. It's right across the road from the beach with lovely views.

Yes, you can walk around the Auckland harbour, at least from the ferry terminal westward. There is a bridge from the Viaduct Basin across to the rest of the new(ish) waterfront areas. 

I don't know if you are a museum person. The Maritime museum is at the waterfront between Princes wharf & the viaduct. We enjoyed a few hours there.

We also took a ferry over to Devonport. The trip itself wasn't overly scenic, but it was nice to see the Auckland skyline taking shape in the distance. We had lunch there - lots of cafes sprinkled with some boutiques. It was nice on a sunny day, but I am not sure how all the al fresco cafes would go on a rainy day.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The roses should be out in Parnell but it's the wrong time of year for whitebait or Bluff oysters.

I'm not sure what tours are available on Waiheke these days. I think there is a HoHo bus though. If you do go over there I highly recommend Ki Maha Restaurant at Onetangi Beach for delicious seafood. It's right across the road from the beach with lovely views.

Yes, you can walk around the Auckland harbour, at least from the ferry terminal westward. There is a bridge from the Viaduct Basin across to the rest of the new(ish) waterfront areas. 

thanks a lot.

not a lover of oysters, but wrong season for whitebait is a disappointment.

i will definitely check Ki Maha Restaurant out.  we have driven around the island and used public transport but it has been awhile.  I think the island is Auckland's secret.

I recall enjoying walking around the harbour.

As we usually have a car, we head for the beautiful Bay of Islands or the Coromandels 

6 hours ago, arxcards said:

I don't know if you are a museum person. The Maritime museum is at the waterfront between Princes wharf & the viaduct. We enjoyed a few hours there.

We also took a ferry over to Devonport. The trip itself wasn't overly scenic, but it was nice to see the Auckland skyline taking shape in the distance. We had lunch there - lots of cafes sprinkled with some boutiques. It was nice on a sunny day, but I am not sure how all the al fresco cafes would go on a rainy day.

Yes I am a museum person  I love the Auckland War Memorial Museum. That will be my go to place, if the weather is miserable. Getting close enough to check out the weather forecast.  I don't tend to visit Maritime Museums but I'm sure I would enjoy it.  That will be my go to place if the weather is miserable.  I have stayed at Devonport and agree the view of Auckland skyline was impressive.

Does anyone have access to how many passengers will be on Reiselient L

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes I am a museum person  I love the Auckland War Memorial Museum. That will be my go to place, if the weather is miserable. Getting close enough to check out the weather forecast.  I don't tend to visit Maritime Museums but I'm sure I would enjoy it.  That will be my go to place if the weather is miserable.  I have stayed at Devonport and agree the view of Auckland skyline was impressive.

Does anyone have access to how many passengers will be on Reiselient L

Sorry keyboard jams when I type too fast.  Does anyone know how many passengers are booked on Resilient Lady from Auckland departing 12/1? Just a few on roll call.  Where is everyone?

Decided to take a few of my new books with me.  

2 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Sorry keyboard jams when I type too fast.  Does anyone know how many passengers are booked on Resilient Lady from Auckland departing 12/1? Just a few on roll call.  Where is everyone?

Decided to take a few of my new books with me.  

Wednesday, 10/1 - 16-25 Sunny 1% rain,   Weather looks great.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Thanks for such a wonderful recommendation as Ki Maha Restaurant.  Ive been trying to book and it says my email address is invalid.  Says I must accept terms and conditions which I had already done.  

Asked in Notes how to get there from the ferry.  Would we need to hire a car on the island?

Our previous meal highlight was a cold call at Huka Lodge.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Thanks for such a wonderful recommendation as Ki Maha Restaurant.  Ive been trying to book and it says my email address is invalid.  Says I must accept terms and conditions which I had already done.  

Asked in Notes how to get there from the ferry.  Would we need to hire a car on the island?

Our previous meal highlight was a cold call at Huka Lodge.  

The bus goes there. There are bus stops in Fourth Avenue just before it meets The Strand. Ki Mahi is to the right.

Check there isn't a random space at the end of your email address.

If you're still having problems let me know. We have friends that have an apartment just along the road from Ki Mahi so as a last resort I might be able to get them to make a booking for you. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

You could do a Segway tour of Devonport taking in the old fortifications, along the way admiring the beautiful (and expensive) historic homes. Rental company and guide are at the ferry wharf.

https://www.magicbroomsticktours.co.nz/

I think Segway tours are a tourist hazard and dangerous for the elderly like me.

47 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I think Segway tours are a tourist hazard and dangerous for the elderly like me.

Hmm. Myself and two ladies did this tour in 2020. We were all in our 70s at the time.

I really like the Auckland Art Gallery.  It's just a lovely peaceful space.  The design of the building is fabulous, it incorporates an old historic building with a new space seamlessly and real thought has gone into the building's relationship with Albert Park where it is sited.  I particularly love the stone paving which I believe was imported from Germany (I think).  It is so quiet to walk on and if you look closely you can see little fossils embedded in the stone.  The art is a bit of a bonus too.

https://www.aucklandartgallery.com/about/building

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Hmm. Myself and two ladies did this tour in 2020. We were all in our 70s at the time.

I know someone who fell off her bike on the first day of a on a boat cruise in Europe, who broke her leg and caused her whole party to cancel.  I guess you were lucky and I'm risk adverse.  

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I know someone who fell off her bike on the first day of a on a boat cruise in Europe, who broke her leg and caused her whole party to cancel.  I guess you were lucky and I'm risk adverse.  

Forgot to mention, I also know someone who got hit from behind by a person out of control in Central Park. She spent many months recovering from her injuries.  

I don't know what authorities were thinking allowing Segway tours in tourist areas.  Although I imagine tours would be more regulated than individual rentals.  I have enough trouble hearing the bell on bikes on shared pathways.  My daughter warns me long before I see the possible danger.  

A few years back we went sailing out in the harbour on an America’s Cup practice racing yacht. You could participate if you wished or just sit back and enjoy. Ticket included entrance to Maritime Museum. There are also 1/2 day tours to the western winery’s that also visit the Gannets ( at this time of year the babies are on the nest).

17 hours ago, vada_9 said:

A few years back we went sailing out in the harbour on an America’s Cup practice racing yacht. You could participate if you wished or just sit back and enjoy. Ticket included entrance to Maritime Museum. There are also 1/2 day tours to the western winery’s that also visit the Gannets ( at this time of year the babies are on the nest).

Half day tour to the Western Wineries with a visit to the Gannets is a perfect fit for our final day in Auckland - thank you.  I haven't previously travelled to the west of Auckland.

• Like 1

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Half day tour to the Western Wineries with a visit to the Gannets is a perfect fit for our final day in Auckland - thank you.  I haven't previously travelled to the west of Auckland.

Previously we have done a private yacht tour of Auckland Harbour and it was a highlight.  We just sat back and enjoyed.

On 1/5/2024 at 8:28 AM, vada_9 said:

We did the America's Cup Yacht trip once. At the time we had been taking sailing lessons in Sydney so I jumped at the chance to take the helm for a couple of tacks. What an experience! That boat handled like a dream, it was so responsive.