Traveling from Portugal to Spain

I am cruising to Portugal in October, then exploring Portugal and Spain for 18 days on land before taking transatlantic back to US.  What is the best way to cross from Portugal to Spain that doesn’t include flying??

Posted (edited)

In fact, you can walk - also by bus, train or rental car, but of course it very much depends on from where in Portugal and to where in Spain.
It will help if you can be more specific.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Other than air, there are busses and trains to get you from Lisbon to Barcelona (likely examples).

We did that trip not too very long ago.  We found the train to be much too long, so ended up flying.  Even Lisbon to Seville is a time consuming train ride.   Not sure why, as the train from Madrid to Seville is under 3 hours and a comparable distance.  

Potential high drop off fees aside, a rental car might be faster for Lisbon to Seville.  IDK.   

4 hours ago, Sukeme said:

I am cruising to Portugal in October, then exploring Portugal and Spain for 18 days on land before taking transatlantic back to US.  What is the best way to cross from Portugal to Spain that doesn’t include flying??

Fighting his way worked best for Wellington.

O'er the hills and o'er the Main
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain
King George commands and we obey
Over the hills and far away

😉

Posted (edited)
On 1/4/2024 at 3:23 PM, Sukeme said:

What is the best way to cross from Portugal to Spain that doesn’t include flying??

You would get better replies if you were to give your starting point  and end point,.as without them, your question doesn't make a lot of sense.  As an example, in some locations it is possible to simply walk across from one to the other, and believe it or not, there is even a zipline which  starts in  Spain and ends in Portugal.😀(although that is the opposite direction  to what you want)

Edited by edinburgher

I’m brand new to this forum. A few days ago, I asked for suggestions traveling from Portugal to Spain. I received some helpful feedback, but was asked to be more specific. So, I’m trying again!

In Nov 2024, I will be in Elvas, Portugal and would like to get to Madrid, Spain without flying!

I was told we could take a train. (Thank you to the person who suggested looking at 

Rome2Rio!) I’m interested in your experience with the train systems and if there are restrictions as to number of bags that are allowed.

We’ll be exploring Spain for 15 days before doing a transatlantic.  Suggestions for safe travel through that country would also be appreciated! Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!!

A

Apologies GeezerCouple as I mistook your post for the one by the OP and cannot figure out how to delete all of it.

2 hours ago, Sukeme said:

We’ll be exploring Spain for 15 days before doing a transatlantic.  Suggestions for safe travel through that country would also be appreciated!

Sukeme, what "safety" concerns do you currently have?  Would be helpful to know as Spain isn't usually considered  a dangerous/unsafe country for visitors.

I spent a month travelling around Spain with my best friend. Although i speak only English my friend is fluent in Spanish, But with just a few basic phrases I've found you can travel throughout Europe. And I've taken trains on solo trips a few times, too. I spent a couple weeks in Lisbon when my son was working there. I use google translate when I'm travelling solo. Of course, like any large metro area common sense precautions to guard your wallet, But I have never felt unsafe.  No problems in Portugal, either.

In Madrid check out Mercado de San Miguel. Great market. There was a merchant who had the best ceviche I've ever tasted.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sukeme said:

I’m brand new to this forum. A few days ago, I asked for suggestions traveling from Portugal to Spain. I received some helpful feedback, but was asked to be more specific. So, I’m trying again!

In Nov 2024, I will be in Elvas, Portugal and would like to get to Madrid, Spain without flying!

I was told we could take a train. (Thank you to the person who suggested looking at 

Rome2Rio!) I’m interested in your experience with the train systems and if there are restrictions as to number of bags that are allowed.

We’ll be exploring Spain for 15 days before doing a transatlantic.  Suggestions for safe travel through that country would also be appreciated! Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!!

We spent 15 days in Spain using Madrid as our home base.  We used the train system to go to various places.  I can't recall any luggage restrictions.  But one does have to lug their bags on and off the train cars.  There are luggage storage areas at the end of the coaches -- often full in my experience with train travel in Europe (other than first class tickets).  

I felt the trains were very safe.  Though I would be watchful of things in the overhead so they don't walk away (due to issues witnessed in Italy but now I'm cautious on all European trains).   When out and about be watchful of your wallet, backpack, etc.  We felt very safe in places like Madrid, Seville, Avila, Toledo, etc.  Kind of just use common sense.   The one serious caution I would give is Barcelona.   All the locals warn us that the pickpockets there are world class.   

Not sure exactly where your start and end are, but having looked at train travel many times between Lisbon and Madrid, we have always chosen a flight. I don’t know why, but that train uses up way too much time for us.

No way would we want to take an extended land trip in Spain/Portugal via train.  Dealing with luggage, lost time waiting for trains, not having trains go to much of the country, etc. are all issues.  For us, the ideal way to handle those two countries is with a car and making some use of the Paradors (Spain) and Pousadas (Portugal).   And yes, one can certainly fly from Point A to Point B (and hop over much of the country) but at the cost of missing most of a country.

We do like the trains (in both countries) for some day trips and making longer moves.  Internal flights mean getting to and from airports (which can often be quite remote), waiting for flights (which are often late), and dealing with the usual airline/luggage related issues,  

I might add that driving in these countries is relatively easy.  One can also take advantage of the afternoon "siesta" times to drive between places.  We think of these countries as having two functioning tourist time windows, from about 10-1 and then 5 - ?.  It is also helpful to adapt to the time culture (especially in parts of Spain) where folks enjoy cocktails/tapas in the early evening and dine at the typical 9 (or later) times so common in these countries.

Hank