Volendam promenade deck stateroom opinion?

roupa

Looking for opinions….with no standard balcony available, we have the option for an accessible stateroom with a window or a stateroom with a sliding door opening to the promenade.  We don’t need an accessible room, but a little extra space might be nice, tho not a priority.   Might the outside access mean no privacy/be noisy/busy with the sliding door open?

I assume you mean Lower Promenade (Deck 3). I had an accessible room - 3431 - and it was horrible in the bathroom. However, the ship has been renovated and the problems I experienced probably don't exist any more. The extra space really made no difference.

I can't comment on the Lanai rooms because I've never had one, but I know they usually sell out quite fast.

2 hours ago, roupa said:

Might the outside access mean no privacy/be noisy/busy with the sliding door open?

Leaving your Lanai sliding door or Balcony door open disrupts the HVAC for cabins around you and you are asked to keep them shut.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, roupa said:

Looking for opinions….with no standard balcony available, we have the option for an accessible stateroom with a window or a stateroom with a sliding door opening to the promenade.  We don’t need an accessible room, but a little extra space might be nice, tho not a priority.   Might the outside access mean no privacy/be noisy/busy with the sliding door open?

As Rich said, please do not leave your door open. I have not stayed in either category of your choice, but noting that accessible cabins often get some of their extra room by losing furniture and/or storage, I would definitely go for the Lanai. Here are a few photos:

https://halfacts.com/3335-volendam/

Here are pics of an OV-HC on the sister ship Zaandam:

https://halfacts.com/r-class/3391-zaandam/

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

I don't know if it's a possibility for you but my choice would be a standard non-lanai oceanview cabin on the same deck.  The need for a walkway between the door and the bed reduces the amount of space available in the cabin for other things.

Here's an example:

https://halfacts.com/r-class/3322-amsterdam/

Remember, you have a quarter-mile wraparound "balcony" just outside your door.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

We stayed in a standard lanai cabin on Volendam.  To us it was much better than regular balcony.   You get about as much view through the door (one way glass works), get to exit directly onto promenade and have reserved deck chairs by your door.  Even nicer if you have friends staying next door.   

Negative to some, not us, is that you don't have privacy of balcony.. 

• Like 3

The outside cabins on Lower Promenade on Volendam are smaller than the insides across the passageway, which are smaller than the outsides on the lower decks. The lanai cabins can feel even smaller. 

The lanai cabins have the beds set against the wall to the next cabin, and are next to the bathroom. They leave very little space to get by, to get to the couch and 'desk' area. I put 'desk' in quotes as it is not like the desks in the insides or outsides on the lower decks. Those cabins have a decent size desk area, and three drawers underneath; the lanai cabins don't have nearly as much space for storage. 

I have not been in the accessible cabins on that ship, but I have been in one on a Pinnacle class. That cabin was a LOT larger than a non-accessible one. 
If I had the choice on the Volendam, and couldn't get an outside on a lower deck, I would take the accessible cabin on Lower Promenade. 

I also agree with Roy that a non-accessible, non-lanai on Lower Promenade would be better than the lanai cabin. 

• Thanks 3

13 hours ago, roupa said:

Might the outside access mean no privacy/be noisy/busy with the sliding door open?

I had a Lanai room on the Maasdam. The sliding door to the promenade area had a powerful force closing it. You will not be able to leave that door open.

On 1/5/2024 at 6:51 PM, RuthC said:

The outside cabins on Lower Promenade on Volendam are smaller than the insides across the passageway, which are smaller than the outsides on the lower decks. The lanai cabins can feel even smaller. 

The lanai cabins have the beds set against the wall to the next cabin, and are next to the bathroom. They leave very little space to get by, to get to the couch and 'desk' area. I put 'desk' in quotes as it is not like the desks in the insides or outsides on the lower decks. Those cabins have a decent size desk area, and three drawers underneath; the lanai cabins don't have nearly as much space for storage. 

I have not been in the accessible cabins on that ship, but I have been in one on a Pinnacle class. That cabin was a LOT larger than a non-accessible one. 
If I had the choice on the Volendam, and couldn't get an outside on a lower deck, I would take the accessible cabin on Lower Promenade. 

I also agree with Roy that a non-accessible, non-lanai on Lower Promenade would be better than the lanai cabin. 

Hi RuthC!

I haven't been on HAL since 2010, when the Veendam was pulled from the NY homeport, nor have I been a regular on the HAL board, so good to see you still active here.🙂

I am on the Volendam October 5 sailing this year, and scored inside 2619....is that still a good one?😉

28 minutes ago, bob brown said:

I am on the Volendam October 5 sailing this year, and scored inside 2619....is that still a good one?😉

My favorite cabin on the R-class ships. I've stayed in all of them, many times, over the years.
Enjoy! And Have a great cruise. 

• Thanks 1

Not the same class ship as Volendam, but I had a lanai and the space between the end of the bed and the wall was 18”. It was close for me to walk through there and I’m not a large person. 

Another time I had an ocean view accessible (390) also on Veendam. There was tons of room, but the sofa was not in a useful place. I didn’t turn the tv on, so it wasn’t a problem.

On 1/5/2024 at 5:03 PM, Cruise4food said:

I had a Lanai room on the Maasdam. The sliding door to the promenade area had a powerful force closing it. You will not be able to leave that door open.

I am on the Volendam now. As I walked the promenade deck yesterday there was indeed a lanai cabin door left open. 😡

• 4 months later...

We've been on the Volendam twice; the first time we had a Lanai room, which was very nice.  This last time we had a partially obstructed ocean view room.  Both were on deck 3, lower promenade.  I like having a room on the promenade deck so I can just leave the room and go walk on the desk.  

On 1/7/2024 at 10:59 AM, Cruising-along said:

I am on the Volendam now. As I walked the promenade deck yesterday there was indeed a lanai cabin door left open. 😡

Ruining climate control for the whole sector of rooms...

• Like 1

I love a lanai cabin. Quick access to the promenade. But, be careful. Check the deck plan. Some of the cabins are under the kitchen galley. That's a guarantee for a miserable night's sleep. 

Should you choose a lanai on Volendam, don't choose lanai cabin 3346. The weather stripping is worn out and whatever the weather is outside becomes the weather inside. I spent 13 days and nights freezing in that room and my neighbor ad the same situation in her lanai. No one did anything to resolve the situation and I was told "this ship is 35 years old", Their solution was to do nothing. Husband and I are both sick after spending 13 days and nights freezing.