Symphony or Odyssey For Caribbean

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I was referencing people. If the ships are roughly the same size but such a big passenger capacity discrepancy, that means Anthem is going to be and feel a lot more crowded. Ugh.

Anthem is 30% larger. Edge does have the edge in gross tonnage per passenger but it’s only about 10% higher.

Edit: that is based on double occupancy, though, and I suspect being more family oriented Anthem would have more 3+ occupied cabins than Edge on average.

ROYAL CARIBBEAN
ANTHEM OF THE SEAS
CELEBRITY
EDGE
Class Quantum Edge
Gross Tonnage 168,666 129,500
Length 1,141 1,004
Beam/Width 136 128
Passenger Decks 14 16
Passengers (double occupancy) 4,180 2,918
Crew 1,500 1,320
Passenger to Crew Ratio 2.8 2.2
Space Ratio (tons of ship per passenger) 40 44

Edited by GimmeOcean

How does Odyssey handle the flowrider (stand up v boogie board) since there's only one on the ship? My DH and DS both do the stand-up and are worried there will be limited time allotted to stand-up since it seems like more enjoy boogie boarding 

6 minutes ago, SanzD said:

How does Odyssey handle the flowrider (stand up v boogie board) since there's only one on the ship? My DH and DS both do the stand-up and are worried there will be limited time allotted to stand-up since it seems like more enjoy boogie boarding 

The app should list the times for various (stand up or boogie board) sessions.  

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

If you enjoy watching the musical acts you will like it a lot more in the Music Hall on Odyssey than Dazzles on Symphony.  The Music hall is a vastly superior venue.  Putting Playmakers above and looking down on Seaplex is a major upgrade on the Quantum class ships.  Odyssey has a Flowrider so you can continue have your drink and watch there too.  As far as open spaces... I think Odyssey is equal.  

My only caveat is with regards to what Ken @Ourusualbeach said about choke points.  When I was on Odyssey it was 6 months post covid restart and there were only 2900 people onboard the ship.  It definitely didn't feel crowded.

I was on Odyssey 3 months or so after the restart. It was the only time I didn’t feel Odyssey was crowded. I think there was around 1500 people on that cruise. The only thing I didn’t like about that cruise (and the first half-dozen or so post COVID cruises I went on) was you couldn’t sit at any bar. I definitely don’t miss that policy. 

5100! Wow, yeah that would feel crowded.  Music hall tribute bands were highlights of both my Ovation and Odyssey cruises.  I loved the Music hall and scheduled all my evening activities around it.

2 hours ago, SanzD said:

There were 2 advanced sessions most days, a longer boogie board session and a mixed wave session.  They also had several self assist sessions for stand up.  One turn with 2 tries allowed per session to get your blue band. 

4 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

5100! Wow, yeah that would feel crowded.  Music hall tribute bands were highlights of both my Ovation and Odyssey cruises.  I loved the Music hall and scheduled all my evening activities around it.

Most of the time it didn’t feel to crowded. I have been on Odyssey twice, 8 day southern during Thanksgiving 2022 and the 2023 NYE cruise that just wrapped this morning. I cannot say I prefer it to all Oasis class ships but Odyssey is better than the OG Allure. 

• Like 1

I just got off Odyssey, first time on a Quantum class ship. I definitely felt the lack of outdoor space. While the ac in the Solarium was nice, I missed the sea breeze and felt like I was indoors all day long, because I was. Oasis class ships have much more outdoor space and, IMO, much better entertainment as well. At this point I do not plan on cruising on a Quantum class ship again. 

On 1/5/2024 at 2:20 PM, SanzD said:

Looking to book either Symphony of the Seas or Odyssey of the Seas for a Caribbean cruise this spring.  We've been on the Symphony once and Harmony twice and love oasis class ships (only class we've sailed on Royal. Sailed on Carnival Inspiration 15 years ago and despised it). Looking at videos of Odyssey it doesn't seem like there are many outdoor areas as there are on Oasis class ships.

What are everyone's thoughts on Odyssey for a Caribbean cruise.

If you have never been on a Quantum class ship, then that should be your answer -- Try it you might like it.  And Odyssey is loved a lot for their shows and the beauty of the ship.  Only thing is they should have covered one of the pools like the sister ships are.  Even in Caribbean the weather can be bad and so an indoor pool would be great which would avoid the solarium. 

Gotta try Northstar, Seaplex and enjoy Two70 in the back.   Yup go with Odyssey IMHO.  I have been on Anthem, Ovation, and Quantum.  loved them.

And the Quantum class ships are the only ones with a mascot on the back starboard side of the ship.

Each one is different.

I've done both recently. I think I prefer the symphony class ship design, but odyssey is very nice ship too.  Symphony feels less crowded at capacity, but odyssey buffet is better. The water shows are really cool too.